Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

With Frank Mir Out, Andrei Arlovski Offers To Fight Daniel Cormier

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,730-1,561
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
As of two days ago Frank Mir became the latest Zuffa fighter to suffer an injury, the Strikeforce superfight between him and Daniel Cormier was off the cards. There's no replacement yet, but Fabricio Werdum has put his hat in the ring as a potential challenger for the SF Grand Prix winner. Yesterday, former UFC heavyweight champion and Strikeforce fighter Andrei Arlovski also offered to step in on short notice. MMA Fighting has the info:

"I'm getting a lot of tweets about fighting (Daniel Cormier)," former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski tweeted yesterday. "And if the fans want to see it, I'm sure we can make it happen!"

Arlovski eventually deleted his initial tweet, however his timeline quickly became inundated with a flood of retweets and quotes from fans calling for "The Pitbull" to return to his old Strikeforce stomping grounds.

LINK

Post #1   9/20/12 9:29:19PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

As of two days ago Frank Mir became the latest Zuffa fighter to suffer an injury, the Strikeforce superfight between him and Daniel Cormier was off the cards. There's no replacement yet, but Fabricio Werdum has put his hat in the ring as a potential challenger for the SF Grand Prix winner. Yesterday, former UFC heavyweight champion and Strikeforce fighter Andrei Arlovski also offered to step in on short notice. MMA Fighting has the info:

"I'm getting a lot of tweets about fighting (Daniel Cormier)," former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski tweeted yesterday. "And if the fans want to see it, I'm sure we can make it happen!"

Arlovski eventually deleted his initial tweet, however his timeline quickly became inundated with a flood of retweets and quotes from fans calling for "The Pitbull" to return to his old Strikeforce stomping grounds.

LINK

He wants to get ktfo again?

Post #2   9/20/12 9:33:21PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
this is a terrible idea. i already said this, but i think they should just bring cormier into the ufc for one of the cards coming up. maybe a November or December card. i hate to see cormier wait too long for fights, the guy is mid to later 30's right?

Post #3   9/20/12 9:38:05PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,790-1,126
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

I would enjoy this.

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #4   9/20/12 9:52:03PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,971-1,169
Chips:
Easy figjt for Cormier IMO

1st rd KO

Post #5   9/20/12 10:01:50PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,220-792
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
AAs only chance would be to effectively use his reach and pick him apart.

Sadly I dont think he'd take that route.

Post #6   9/20/12 10:27:53PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:653-353
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Anthony johnson is a heavyweight now right ?

Post #7   9/20/12 11:48:46PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:730-442
Chips:

Posted by george112

Still want to see him try though WAR AA

Last edited 9/21/12 12:07AM server time by infestructure
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   9/21/12 12:06:26AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,184-1,486
Chips:
Now is Tim Sylvia's chance!!! I bet he would fight Cormier. Cormier would probably KO Arlovski within the first two minutes if they ended up fighting though. I wish Zuffa would or could dissolve Striekforce already though.I want to see Strikeforce assimilated into the UFC. It has been long overdue. There is some contractual mumbo jumbo about Strikeforce fighters not being able to fight for the UFC as long as Strikeforce is on Showtime but this makes no sense as Diaz, Miller, Bigfoot,Shields and Henderson have done it. Strikeforce is a dead horse that has been dead for a long time now.

Post #9   9/21/12 4:06:56AM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:815-493
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

this is a terrible idea. i already said this, but i think they should just bring cormier into the ufc for one of the cards coming up. maybe a November or December card. i hate to see cormier wait too long for fights, the guy is mid to later 30's right?

Doesn't he have to fulfill one more fight on his Strikeforce contract before he can come over, though?

Post #10   9/21/12 8:00:22AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by george112

He would Prob start by doing that then he would allow himself to get pushed to the cage wont move his damn head and then get thunder punched to end the game. Its happened so many times now.

Post #11   9/21/12 8:11:58AM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:815-493
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Now is Tim Sylvia's chance!!! I bet he would fight Cormier. Cormier would probably KO Arlovski within the first two minutes if they ended up fighting though. I wish Zuffa would or could dissolve Striekforce already though.I want to see Strikeforce assimilated into the UFC. It has been long overdue. There is some contractual mumbo jumbo about Strikeforce fighters not being able to fight for the UFC as long as Strikeforce is on Showtime but this makes no sense as Diaz, Miller, Bigfoot,Shields and Henderson have done it. Strikeforce is a dead horse that has been dead for a long time now.

The reason those contracts now have that mumbo-jumbo is because Zuffa moved a lot of the Strikeforce talent/draws to UFC already (the guys you mentioned). Strikeforce and Showtime couldn't put on cards that people wanted to see if it continued.

If I remember correctly, Shields' contract was up (Strikeforce had an option to match the offer), and he signed with the UFC. Apparently Strikeforce contracts didn't have the champion clause, or it was limited to giving them the ability to match offers.

The Nick Diaz situation was different. He still was under contract with Strikeforce, but due to the lack of intriguing fights, he was looking to box. Zuffa ended up getting the contract changed. He was going to fight GSP in lieu of boxing (new contract prevented him from boxing). So in this instance, Diaz was essentially stolen from Strikeforce by the UFC.

I believe Henderson's contract was up with his win over Fedor. Zuffa already owned Strikeforce at that time. UFC signed him. Hendo was the Strikeforce LHW champ, so again, they must not have had a champion clause.

I believe Bigfoot and Werdum were both still under Strikeforce contract, but with Zuffa owning Strikeforce, they just redid their contracts to sign them to the UFC.

The Overeem situation was weird. He was 'cut' from Strikeforce because he wasn't going to be able to make the date for the tourney final due to injury. Then there was some problems in negotiating with the UFC, but ultimately he was signed to UFC.

All of these instances, I believe led to the addition of this contractual mumbo-jumbo. If the UFC kept taking all of Strikeforce's talent, then the Showtime slots would be headlined by guys like Bobby Voelker, Ryan Couture, Keith Jardine, etc. Only the real hardcore fans would watch those cards. Cards with Rousey would still get good numbers, but the UFC would have taken Melendez, Rockhold, Jacare, Kennedy, Woodley, etc. leaving nobody else that could headline and draw.

Last edited 9/21/12 8:54AM server time by bigrand826
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   9/21/12 8:53:02AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
Give him Sylvia so we can see Sylvia get KTFO yet again.....

Post #13   9/21/12 9:44:01AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by bigrand826

Posted by tcunningham

Doesn't he have to fulfill one more fight on his Strikeforce contract before he can come over, though?

Strikeforce has an obligation to Showtime to provide a "plus 1" fight for the winner of the Grand Prix - meaning Cormier has to fight one more fight since he won the Grand Prix. I believe that's the holdup, anyways.

Post #14   9/21/12 10:13:05AM   

I-GOT-THIS-PICK

Standup Guy

I-GOT-THIS-PICK Avatar

Career:1,501-842
Chips:
I say send Overeem back to StrikeForce and see who the real Grand Prix Champion is.

Post #15   9/21/12 10:14:21AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2