Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Pic: Matt Hughes flies to Africa, kills giant antelope

Print  
  Page 2 of 7     1     2     3     4     5   >>
Posted By Message

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,205-781
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
When I read the thread title I was already thinking how I was gonna post about this bothering me for some reason

I personally have been hunting a few times. Hog hunting that is. It's a needed thing around here in Texas.

However I think taking big game like with a rifle is cowardly. Anyone can get behind a fireman and shoot a bullet an kill an animal. Its TOO easy.

I feel like animals .especially big animals like that deserve some respect from us humans. Give it a fair shake and hunt with a bow. If you can't kill it with a bow then concede defeat and try again some other time. Don't take the easy way out and use a rifle.

Pansy.

We are lucky as humans really. Top of the food chain. Nothing to put us in our place. Nobody can even imagine being hunted by some higher species. Being made to do things. Makes me sick

Post #16   9/19/12 10:33:49PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Hey, what ever happened to hunting good 'ole fashion BEAVER

Post #17   9/19/12 10:58:31PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,215-1,196
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Not a big fan of hunting, unless it's necessary to manage a population. MN has recently opened hunting on wolves, because there numbers have grown substantially. I don't like it, but understand why it's needed.

In Matt's case, I don't like trophy hunting, especially with big animals. It is legal, and thousands of people do it, so he shouldn't receive too much negativity. At least it sounds like the whole animal was harvested though.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #18   9/19/12 11:03:04PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,215-1,196
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

I'm interested to hear about your next hunt Chael. What's gonna be on the menu?

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #19   9/19/12 11:04:26PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by kopower

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

I'm interested to hear about your next hunt Chael. What's gonna be on the menu?

I'm currently on the hunt for "someone" with the initials JJ that rhymes and acts like a VJJ and smells like a whopper.....rumor has it it's located in New Mexico

To be continued.....well, it looks like I might have to go to Toronto to collect.

Post #20   9/19/12 11:09:52PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by george112
We are lucky as humans really. Top of the food chain. Nothing to put us in our place. Nobody can even imagine being hunted by some higher species. Being made to do things. Makes me sick

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #21   9/19/12 11:47:09PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

I'd like to get the PG's reaction to this. I understand hunting for food but to me this is ridiculous. In addition to the antelope, Matt and his son also killed a zebra and a wildebeest. What are they going to do with the dead animals? They can't take them back to the States. I'm not a PETA advocate but this makes me angry.

i dont mind them doing this. the meat doesnt go to waste even if it is given away to other people to eat. plus they didnt kill any endangered animals and did it all legally.

i watched a show about hunting elephants and doing it legally. at first this sounded absurd because of the scarcity of the species but there was special circumstances. there was a bull elephant that was old and mean to the younger males. he kept the other elephants from mating with the females and ultimately stopping the growth of the population. they let hunters take the elephant out in turn made sure the heard would start to grow again. so killing one endangered animal resulted in many others being born. even if the hunters used it as purely trophy killing there was a much better outcome. just thought i would share that.

Post #22   9/20/12 12:28:52AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm not a hunter, but I have no real problem with this. I have some friends in South Africa and they regularly eat zebra, antelope, etc. It's their version of BBQ, they call it a braai, and I'm guessing tis was not only a chance for Matt to do some sport hunting and get trophies, but also to try some foods you don't normally get here. With the lack of food in a lot of parts of Africa, I'm sure the meat was eaten so waste probably isn't an issue here. If you're against sport hunting in general, there's nothing I can say to change your mind though. Different strokes for different folks.

Post #23   9/20/12 12:34:12AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Can't say I like the idea of it but to each their own. It would be a better picture if he were right next to its head. he could be like fifty feet back there

Post #24   9/20/12 12:36:29AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I think it's a disgusting and pretty cowardly practice. I can't really see what enjoyment people get out of just killing things solely for the "fun" of doing it. That's what serial killers do, kill things because it gives them a sense of power.

If you're going to hunt for food, that's fine, animals eat other living things to survive. This isn't a "sport" sitting in a tree or vehicle where the animal can't see you, fight back, or do anything and you take a high powered rifle and shoot the thing in the head from the safety of your perch. It really isn't a sport. People who are proud of murdering things for no reason are pathetic and disgusting people as far as I'm concerned.

-edit-
It makes me extremely angry, just in case that wasn't clear. I mean, if you can take a gun and go shoot living things without any valid reason, why shouldn't someone else be able to take a gun and shoot you for no reason?

Last edited 9/20/12 1:42AM server time by Aether
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #25   9/20/12 1:31:39AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by MALICE

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by prophecy033

Oooooooohhhhhhhhh, Dan Hardy's not gonna like this!!!!!!

When is open season on ignorant, red neck, misguided, phony-Christian assholes? I would love to shoot some of those. matt-hughes.com/blog1/2012/09/

— Dan Hardy (@danhardymma) September 19, 2012

Hypocrisy at it's finest. He is accusing others of being "phony" Christians for hunting animals yet he goes on to say he would like to shoot humans.

Not really hypocrisy as Hardy does not claim to be a Christian.

Post #26   9/20/12 5:19:35AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,404-801
Chips:
my best friend in high school's father is a multi millionaire & he went to Africa to "hunt". i found out afterwards that "hunting" meant being driven up to the animal he wanted to kill & shooting it from about 15-25 yards distance. if this is what matt & his son did, then i am not surprised bc i expect nothing less from him. But if he shot the animal, from a good range, & it was in a wild habitat & not in a contained area, then i have no problem with it.

ok, im fucked up so i will admit to not reading everything in the thread. honestly, im probably going to forget i posted in this thread & might forget to check the feedback. if you care about my opinion on Hughes, check out the who do you hate most thread posted yesterday.

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #27   9/20/12 6:01:06AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:999-575
Chips:

Posted by BigBadAl

Posted by MALICE

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by prophecy033

Oooooooohhhhhhhhh, Dan Hardy's not gonna like this!!!!!!

When is open season on ignorant, red neck, misguided, phony-Christian assholes? I would love to shoot some of those. matt-hughes.com/blog1/2012/09/

— Dan Hardy (@danhardymma) September 19, 2012

Hypocrisy at it's finest. He is accusing others of being "phony" Christians for hunting animals yet he goes on to say he would like to shoot humans.

Not really hypocrisy as Hardy does not claim to be a Christian.

I believe he is bhuddist, as he has a tat on his stomach that they photo shopped out when he fought GSP to avoid pissing off China at the time. I'm sure there is some level of hypocrisy, but I don't think he was calling Hughes a phony Christian for hunting, just a phony Christian in general. I agree with much that people have said so far. I definitely would be butthurt about it if the meat was all wasted, but if not, then there isn't really a crime against nature. As for calling it sport...I don't get it either if you're using a superior weapon that shouldn't miss unless you really suck, it doesn't seem much like sport. It would be more sporting if he chased them around with a pistol, kind of like something you could imagine in It's Always Sunny.

Post #28   9/20/12 10:07:50AM   

Franklinfan47

Gettin Paper!

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,552-1,397
Chips:
I have many friends that hunt, but I dont believe in it personally. Half the time they attract unsuspecting deer or bears with bait and then shoot them from a high hide. To me, thats not hunting, just killing.

"Wow, that bear looks so much better with its head cut off then roaming majestically in the wilderness".

This just makes me dislike Hughes even more, if it were possible.

But Dan Hardy

Post #29   9/20/12 11:30:18AM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Career:700-343
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

my best friend in high school's father is a multi millionaire & he went to Africa to "hunt". i found out afterwards that "hunting" meant being driven up to the animal he wanted to kill & shooting it from about 15-25 yards distance. if this is what matt & his son did, then i am not surprised bc i expect nothing less from him. But if he shot the animal, from a good range, & it was in a wild habitat & not in a contained area, then i have no problem with it.

This is exactly right. Big exotic game quarantined (ie. trapped) on a 'hunting reserve' where little boys who want to feel like big men from around the globe can come over, be driven around and get to fire a rifle and watch a beautiful animal die for a nice photo op and something to mount on the wall back home. These 'reserves' are well-stocked so big kills are guaranteed in the shortest amount of hunting time. You pay the cash, they set you up with something big to shoot.

Sorry, DD is *not* impressed.

I get that hunting for food happens, but this is sport hunting first and foremost and totally ego-driven. What kind of BBQs are they having on those reserves, anyway? I think people are deluding themselves if they think all that meat is being used. Maybe a few choice cuts butchered here and there but those animals are *huge* and the reserve primarily makes its money from all the rich white foreigners who pay top $$ to run around shooting animals and taking pictures. How many animals are killed on an average day - and how big are the stomachs at their resort restaurants. Let's call a spade a spade - it's sport hunting - that's where the money and priority is, and that's the focus.

Shooting a defenceless animal on a game reserve with a gun and watching it die doesn't impress. Taking a picture and then stuffing and hanging it's head on your wall at home is even more pathetic. Anyone can do it. Even a six year old. How is that cool?

Just my opinion.

Post #30   9/20/12 11:45:06AM   

Page 2 of 7     1     2     3     4     5   >>