Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Official UFC 71 Fighter Salaries: Paydays for Jackson, Liddell, Karo, Burkman

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
Quinton Jackson ($225,000) def. Chuck Liddell ($500,000) by KO - Round 1, 1:53
Karo Parisyan ($32,000) def. Josh Burkman ($7,000) by unanimous decision
Terry Martin ($12,000) def. Ivan Salaverry ($17,500) by TKO - Round 1, 2:04
Houston Alexander ($8,000) def. Keith Jardine ($7,000) by TKO - Round 1, 0:48
Kalib Starnes ($10,000) def. Chris Leben ($10,000) by unanimous decision
Thiago Silva ($16,000) def. James Irvin ($7,000) by TKO - Round 1, 1:06
Alan Belcher ($14,000) def. Sean Salmon ($3,000) by guillotine choke - Round 1, 0:53
Din Thomas ($28,000) def. Jeremy Stephens ($3,000) by armbar - Round 2, 2:24
Wilson Gouveia ($16,000) def. Cermelo Marrero ($5,000) by guillotine choke - Round 1, 3:06

LINK

Post #1   5/29/07 7:55:28PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
Thats still such bullshit that some guys are out there fighting for 3k. Complete bullshit. How are the younger fighters supposed to progress, if they can barely pay for their training?

Post #2   5/29/07 8:24:39PM   

Infused

MMA Regular

Infused Avatar

Career:373-253
Chips:
Weird that Din got paid 28k and some fighters that were on aired fights gor paid less

Post #3   5/29/07 8:57:36PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I read somewhere quinton got 450,000.

Post #4   5/29/07 9:39:02PM   

hughesfan1

MMA Regular

hughesfan1 Avatar

Career:271-156
Camp: UFC 4 Life
Chips:

Posted by Infused

Weird that Din got paid 28k and some fighters that were on aired fights gor paid less

I bet he got a bonus for having the "tapout of the night".

Post #5   5/29/07 9:55:32PM   

Infused

MMA Regular

Infused Avatar

Career:373-253
Chips:
OH right i forgot about that.

That would probably put a bit more coins in his piggy bank.

Post #6   5/29/07 11:05:04PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by hughesfan1

Posted by Infused

I bet he got a bonus for having the "tapout of the night".

I don't know about you, but that would make me try for flying gogoplatas and whatnot, just to make a few extra $$$.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #7   5/30/07 4:24:07AM   

DepDawg

Learning to Sprawl

Career:60-31
Chips:
I disagree, next thing you know all of these fighters will be getting paid like pro boxers. I think it also makes them more ambitious and brings out more fighters that eventually want to get to the top and make that kind of money. If you keep it low then they may get complacent. Just my 2 cents.

Post #8   5/30/07 10:11:26AM   

Omega

Go TEAM!!! or I will kill you.

Omega Avatar

Career:482-300
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
Speaking from experiance guys, those wages are fine.

Post #9   5/30/07 1:52:08PM   

Basshandsome

Standup Guy

Basshandsome Avatar

Career:2,573-1,409
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by bayonetxwork

Thats still such bullshit that some guys are out there fighting for 3k. Complete bullshit. How are the younger fighters supposed to progress, if they can barely pay for their training?

I agree fully. With the UFC being the Top organization in the world for MMA... They really need to pay the low level fighters more money. I think that the salaries that the top guys make is more then enough but with all the profit that the UFC makes they must be able to afford to pay the low level fighters more money...

Post #10   5/30/07 5:23:00PM   

Omega

Omega Avatar

Chips:
Before you make anymore posts, how many of you guys have actually fought pro?

Post #11   5/30/07 6:05:56PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Omega

Have you fought pro? Regardless, I'm a junior in high school so I train about 4 days a week, and im still dropping $120 a month to train even with a student discount.

And how do you find those wages fine? In order to take your game to the next level, you need to train FULL TIME. Everyone that has made it to the top, has made the choice to quit their jobs in order to maximize the benefits from training full time. How are you supposed to do that if you bring in roughly 12,000 a year, and you can't even support you, let alone your family financially. Depending upon their training regimen/where at/etc. they only have about 10,000 of spending money...

Bottom line, look at all the other athletes in the MLB, NFL, NBA, they are easily all making over 100k a year, and more than 75% of them don't even get to play. Most MLB teams can't even fill a stadium for a regular scheduled game, and they don't reap the benefits of thousands or even millions of PPV buys. They don't make enough.

Post #12   5/31/07 8:30:46PM   

Omega

Omega Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bayonetxwork

Posted by Omega

Have you fought pro? Regardless, I'm a junior in high school so I train about 4 days a week, and im still dropping $120 a month to train even with a student discount.

And how do you find those wages fine? In order to take your game to the next level, you need to train FULL TIME. Everyone that has made it to the top, has made the choice to quit their jobs in order to maximize the benefits from training full time. How are you supposed to do that if you bring in roughly 12,000 a year, and you can't even support you, let alone your family financially. Depending upon their training regimen/where at/etc. they only have about 10,000 of spending money...

Bottom line, look at all the other athletes in the MLB, NFL, NBA, they are easily all making over 100k a year, and more than 75% of them don't even get to play. Most MLB teams can't even fill a stadium for a regular scheduled game, and they don't reap the benefits of thousands or even millions of PPV buys. They don't make enough.

First yeah, I fought pro. Kickboxing and MMA for nearly 12 years. $120 a month? I hope you're at a good gym. That's actually pretty good but still.

This is still a new sport. Liddell and Ortiz used to fight for nearly pennies when you think about it. You were lucky to recieve $500 for a main event before 2000.

As for quitting you job you're forgetting endorsement, gate share (Most managers will negotiate part of the gate fee as part of the purse anyway as long as you're in the main events.), and at that level they're no longer paying their trainers directly as they become more marketable. Coaches are paid to corner and managers get a percentage of what the fighters make. You compare them to the MLB, NFL, NBA, who I think are grossly overpaid anyway, yet those associations have been around for decades. Then let's talk about league minimums and actual draw power of the fighters. What does that get you?

Where would these promotions be if they didn't use their resources to advertise (millions of dollars). Those lighting fixtures you see at these shows, about $100,000 or more. Not including everything you don't see, with licensing, insurance, NSAC fees. I also forgot, travel expenses, hotel expenses....the list goes on. We complain about the lousy wages the fighters make in comparison and the greedy fight promoters but we cheer when we get to see fights like Jackson and Liddell which wouldn't have been made possible if UFC didn't put itself at apoint of financial strength.

Dude, by the looks of it you don't know nearly 10% of what goes on behind the seen. I retired from fighting 3 years ago to dedicate myself to my fight team. I negotiate these contracts, I get them the money they need. I'm also personal friends with 2 very large fight promoters and know many managers. You can't put a price on possible television time and what a victory would actually mean.

Lastly if you feel like $120 per month is a lot let's evaluate this for a second. That's $1440 per year. Less than 1/10 of a College degree. Neither of which will gaurantee you any money 4 to 6 years down the line, yet both offer you the hope of doing something with that education. So that's my view point. Got a counter point for me?

Post #13   6/1/07 12:31:27PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Chips:
Bro, get a grip man. Did I once say my gym fees were high? No. Am i asking for these guys to get 100k+ per fight? No. Are there guys out there that will continue to make that kind of money? Yes. All I'm asking that if you are going to pay the top guys millions of dollars a year to fight, atleast give the up and comers the money to make a career out of training nearly everyday.

And yes, I do realize that this is a new sport, and isn't quite mainstreamed yet. But once again your coming up with ideas that I want these guys to have superstar popularity. Once again, I'm not. Bottom line, if your going to pay guys more than a quarter mill. to fight, atleast be able to financially back up all the others that aren't.

Post #14   6/1/07 3:21:06PM   

Omega

Omega Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bayonetxwork

Bro, get a grip man. Did I once say my gym fees were high? No. Am i asking for these guys to get 100k+ per fight? No. Are there guys out there that will continue to make that kind of money? Yes. All I'm asking that if you are going to pay the top guys millions of dollars a year to fight, atleast give the up and comers the money to make a career out of training nearly everyday.

And yes, I do realize that this is a new sport, and isn't quite mainstreamed yet. But once again your coming up with ideas that I want these guys to have superstar popularity. Once again, I'm not. Bottom line, if your going to pay guys more than a quarter mill. to fight, atleast be able to financially back up all the others that aren't.

Get defensive much? Please don't tell me to get a grip kid, only person losing it is you. Your pov still doesn't hold much water btw. Up and comers are just that. Everybody must pay their dues. I used to fight for gas money and dinner.

PS: You're the one who brought up the tuition thing, don't bring it up if you don't want it used.

Post #15   6/1/07 8:39:29PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2