Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dana White Objects To Headline, Interacts With Fans Online

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Since taking over as head of the promotion, UFC President Dana White has asserted himself as the face of the company. His abrasive and uncouth straight-talk is now a staple of the UFC package. Most recently, Dana's words made waves when he scathingly criticized Light Heavyweight champion Jon Jones and his coach Greg Jackson for turning down Chael Sonnen as an injury replacement for Dan Henderson at UFC 151. Without a strong draw to headline the card, White was forced to cancel the event.

MMA Junkie caught up with Dana to see if he ever considers stepping away from the UFC. White definitively says that it's not even a possibility for him at this point.

LINK

Post #1   9/16/12 2:53:05AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,214-788
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
Really actually blown away by Danas comments.

What an asshole . Criticizing fans for doing the same thing he just did. Acting like a butthurt troll .

If you don't care about the title of an article like you say then why jump on the UG and talk shit??

My dislike for Dana just grew even more.

Talking shit to fans....give me a break already Dana.

Post #2   9/16/12 6:11:50AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
I didnt see anything too awful...

Post #3   9/16/12 9:28:10AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Daddy Dana has to realize just because you have a shaved head and are slightly overweight (stocky in his mind) DOESN'T make you a tough guy....especially talking smack to interweb dorks who play dungeon and dragons drinking mt. dew and stuffing there faces with some skunk induced junk food.

Underneath the fat exterior is the same skinny (small man's syndrome) Dana that got picked on in Boston and was forced to give up his milk money to Westie thugs.

When it is all said and done, Dana is PROBABLY the baby-daddy to Bloodstain Lane.....I see the correlation in personalities

They both need to lay off the carbs and the keyboard.

Post #4   9/16/12 11:18:30AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Daddy Dana has to realize just because you have a shaved head and are slightly overweight (stocky in his mind) DOESN'T make you a tough guy....especially talking smack to interweb dorks who play dungeon and dragons drinking mt. dew and stuffing there faces with some skunk induced junk food.

D&D

Post #5   9/16/12 12:04:32PM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:944-621
Camp: the thuggee's
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

D&D

i thought that was going to be a dungeon&dragons website, my heart skipped a beat when i seen it. man i'm a dork

Last edited 9/16/12 12:40PM server time by voodoo-jitsu
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   9/16/12 12:39:14PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,439-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I can honestly say I would probably act worse than Dana if I were in his position. I know I hate being taken out of context in any situation. And when you constantly have people saying "This card sucks, let's stream it" or, "Dana White is killing the sport", what better way to give those fools the business than to tell them off directly? You know no one was expecting DFW to respond to them personally.

I don't agree with a lot of stuff Dana does, mostly in regard to matchmaking. But I do think the sport is still growing, and I think Dana and co. still deserve most if not all the credit.

I'm sincerely hoping the mind blowing changes he was alluding to coming in a couple years is the UFC moving to free tv. If I'm not mistaken, he already said that is a goal of the company.

Last edited 9/16/12 2:08PM server time by pmoney

Post #7   9/16/12 2:07:12PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:
The NBA gets talked shit about just as much if not more then the UFC.

Does Stern go on a tirade on ESPN.com? Nope.

Dana there is a reason people say what they do. There has to be. If you put on good cards and run your company right then people won't talk shit. Simple. Make changes where there needs to be changes. Make the company better. Talking shit to fans does the opposite of what you say your trying to do/has done. That being "bringing the sport to where it is today"

Imo I'm tired of hearing the whole sport is growing and still young blah blah. It is here. It is big. It isn't going anywhere. You want to be a mainstream sport? A mainstream brand?Then stop acting like your some sort of MMA prophet that the fans need to see good MMA. Your important but your not THAT important

EDIT

pmoney that sport is growing comment was not directed at you it was towards Dana 100% I respect your opinion just as much as I hope you do mine

Last edited 9/16/12 2:30PM server time by george112

Post #8   9/16/12 2:27:48PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Chips:
I think Dana did a lot to help this sport out in the beginning. It's safe to say we wouldn't have MMA today in its current form without DFW and the Fertittas. Mostly they deserve credit for taking a chance with their time and money on a dying sport. They also deserve credit for TUF which saved the UFC and for buying Pride when that whole thing went bust.

However...

I think it's to the point now where he isn't needed. That doesn't mean I don't want him around or that I think he should step down. But there are enough people interested in the sport now that it isn't going anywhere. If the UFC was going down shop tomorrow, some wealthy venture capitalist would buy it immediately or start his own org and gather up all the UFC fighters.

There are tons and tons of fans. Tons of fighters. There is a whole sub-culture behind this sport now.

The UFC might not be able to reach the SPECIFIC mission goals that Dana has planned without him, but the sport will continue to grow regardless of his involvement.

Post #9   9/16/12 5:46:44PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,174-1,480
Chips:
I don't have any issues with what Dana said in the interview. People love to run their mouths and sometimes you have to give it back to them. He does that. He doesn't pull any punches or walk on eggshells. In a lot of ways I don't blame him for being ticked off. Back in the day the fans were ecstatic no matter what happened and the fighters back in the day were all chomping at the bit to fight...even on short notice if need be. Now the fighters and many of the fans have turned into spoiled rotten prima donnas. The fighters have turned into "rock stars" and want to pick and choose who they fight and make excuses and whine if things aren't perfect for them and the fans are starting to think they are rock stars too. What right do the fans really have to criticize him? He has built up the best sport in the world. As far as twisting things out of context on headlines....that is par for the course nowadays no matter whether it is MMA, other sports, politics etc etc That is just the result of disingenuous sneaky morons. I don't agree with everything Dana says and sometimes he shouldn't be so impulsive and he should think a little before he speaks but I am grateful to him and I think he gets criticized unfairly. I actually thought it was great to hear him give it back to the detractors. In the end though if you don't like the UFC with Dana at the reigns....go watch Bellator and have fun.

Post #10   9/16/12 6:24:49PM   

NaturalBornKiller92

MMA Regular

NaturalBornKiller92 Avatar

Career:131-89
Chips:
I didn't have much of a problem with what Dana said either. He was telling off people who pissed him off. Dana's over the top comments that make headlines never really bother me. If I were to look at Dana White's career as the president of the UFC, I would see that Dana made a goal that his promotion would one day make loads of money off of PPV cards. People thought he was crazy. He did it. Dana also brought the UFC to cable television. He helped create the TUF series. The UFC would not have made a deal with FOX if not for Dana White. Dana has done so much for the sport that I feel like his comments, no matter how terrible or ill informed, are irrelevant.

Post #11   9/16/12 9:25:11PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by george112

...If you put on good cards and run your company right then people won't talk shit...

I wholeheartedly disagree. People will still talk shit.

Post #12   9/16/12 11:43:02PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by george112

...If you put on good cards and run your company right then people won't talk shit...

I should have clarified. I literally don't mean everybody

What I meant was it wouldn't have come to the point for Dana to hop on a forum and talk shit to fans. Why do people think that's ok?

A big problem lately has been a large influx of injuries. It culminating with a canceled 151. Like I said if Dana would have gone into damage control correctly he wouldnt be having to deal with the amount of shit talking there is now. He said it himself 12 years without a cancelled show and now there was one and now people are talking shit. Deal. Should have put on a better card.

Post #13   9/16/12 11:58:49PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by george112

What I meant was it wouldn't have come to the point for Dana to hop on a forum and talk shit to fans. Why do people think that's ok?

A big problem lately has been a large influx of injuries. It culminating with a canceled 151. Like I said if Dana would have gone into damage control correctly he wouldnt be having to deal with the amount of shit talking there is now. He said it himself 12 years without a cancelled show and now there was one and now people are talking shit. Deal. Should have put on a better card.

sports will always have haters and a lot of them, not saying you are one. just look at the top teams and athletes in different sports. people love to hate them. I can understand hating teams because of rivalries. go around and ask people why they hate the yankees, most will say "they always win and have to much money i hate front runners like them". yankees are one of the most profitable and winningest franchise in the world yet people hate them for that exact reason. it is sports, people will talk shit for no reason sometimes without looking at the bigger picture.

Post #14   9/17/12 1:14:16AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Manak

Posted by george112

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by george112

sports will always have haters and a lot of them, not saying you are one. just look at the top teams and athletes in different sports. people love to hate them. I can understand hating teams because of rivalries. go around and ask people why they hate the yankees, most will say "they always win and have to much money i hate front runners like them". yankees are one of the most profitable and winningest franchise in the world yet people hate them for that exact reason. it is sports, people will talk shit for no reason sometimes without looking at the bigger picture.

That makes sense.

But that's not why the UFC is getting hated on especially bad right now. Their success is a totally seperate topic.

I know exactly what your saying though

Post #15   9/17/12 6:20:43AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2