Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Started watching the Wire today.

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
EPIC show

Gay or not Omar is a G

Post #16   9/15/12 11:18:17AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Wallass

Chael is accurate here, this shows way overrated. I may be wrong but man oh man is that first episode slow and trerrible. I'm sure the shows great and my buddies swear by it but I've started it three times and can't finish through the first episode. Watch Sons of Anarchy, Dexter or Breaking Bad instead.

The Wire in my opinion is unquestionably the greatest TV show ever made.

This is a valid complaint though. It is unlike any other shows in that it doesn't use cliffhangers or music/sound to keep viewers engaged. You have to actually pay attention to get anything out of it. There isn't any music in the show at all other than season ending montages or in rare cases where there is a radio/cd player in the scene.

I fell asleep during the 1st episode twice before I finally got through it and it wasn't until the end of the 4th episode that I was addicted.

Breaking Bad is much faster paced, but it sacrifices realism in order to provide its most entertaining scenes. It also has such an entrenched main cast that most of those tension building scenes are predicable as there is no way any of the main cast will be killed other than possibly in finales. The Wire had no main character and you got the feeling that nobody was safe from "the game" in Baltimore.

Post #17   9/15/12 12:59:16PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
It's not the greatest but it's pretty damn good.

Sopranos, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Breaking Bad are the all time greats. Mad Men is tough for some people to grasp, it's not as 'in your face' as the others but it's spectacular.

Oz and the Wire are really good, but if I had to choose I could live without them.

Treme and Boardwalk Empire are just OK, not spectacular but pretty good.

Sons of Anarchy is borderline, but I still dig it.

Dexter is the worst show mentioned in this thread. Unwatchable and corny.

Post #18   9/15/12 2:23:06PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
The Kickback

I always loved this scene. Just the way these two interact, like they're from different planets.

Post #19   9/15/12 2:31:11PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by Wallass

Chael is accurate here, this shows way overrated. I may be wrong but man oh man is that first episode slow and trerrible. I'm sure the shows great and my buddies swear by it but I've started it three times and can't finish through the first episode. Watch Sons of Anarchy, Dexter or Breaking Bad instead.

This is a valid complaint though. It is unlike any other shows in that it doesn't use cliffhangers or music/sound to keep viewers engaged. You have to actually pay attention to get anything out of it. There isn't any music in the show at all other than season ending montages or in rare cases where there is a radio/cd player in the scene.

I fell asleep during the 1st episode twice before I finally got through it and it wasn't until the end of the 4th episode that I was addicted.

Breaking Bad is much faster paced, but it sacrifices realism in order to provide its most entertaining scenes. It also has such an entrenched main cast that most of those tension building scenes are predicable as there is no way any of the main cast will be killed other than possibly in finales. The Wire had no main character and you got the feeling that nobody was safe from "the game" in Baltimore.

If I wanted realism I would watch COPS.....I don't want much realism in my tv entertainment - - that's why Breaking Bad & American Horror Story and Game of Thrones is so damn excellent....Game of Thrones has dragons in it dammit...and I surprisngly love it.

The Wire may be real but damn, I would rather get kneed illegally in the upper torso for 60 minutes instead.

Dominic West is a fine actor though

Post #20   9/15/12 3:41:56PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by Wallass

If I wanted realism I would watch COPS.....I don't want much realism in my tv entertainment - - that's why Breaking Bad & American Horror Story and Game of Thrones is so damn excellent....Game of Thrones has dragons in it dammit...and I surprisngly love it.

The Wire may be real but damn, I would rather get kneed illegally in the upper torso for 60 minutes instead.

Dominic West is a fine actor though

Breaking Bad is a great show but to me its like comparing a comic book to an epic novel. The novel will always be better in my opinion

Everyone's opinions and tastes are different though. I don't expect everyone to love the show like I do, but I do think its silly for someone to put a show down that they haven't actually watched.....

Post #21   9/15/12 4:38:57PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Season 4 (The Wire) was the best in terms of entertainment and story value.

Last edited 9/15/12 5:24PM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #22   9/15/12 5:23:40PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,781-1,448
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

It's not the greatest but it's pretty damn good.

Sopranos, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Breaking Bad are the all time greats. Mad Men is tough for some people to grasp, it's not as 'in your face' as the others but it's spectacular.

Oz and the Wire are really good, but if I had to choose I could live without them.

Treme and Boardwalk Empire are just OK, not spectacular but pretty good.

Sons of Anarchy is borderline, but I still dig it.

Dexter is the worst show mentioned in this thread. Unwatchable and corn

Out of your mind. First 4 seasons are right up there with Breaking Bad, Sopranos and OZ

Post #23   9/15/12 5:34:53PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
For those in doubt about the validity of The Wire being the best show on television, take a look at this opening scene. Absolutely classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3T_2RTDcVo

Post #24   9/15/12 8:13:13PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by sparky

EPIC show

Gay or not Omar is a G

I played Black Ops for about a month with only a shotgun so I could be like Omar......True story

Post #25   9/15/12 10:02:17PM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,958-1,134
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Second highest rated show on IMDB.By far my favorite tv show ever.

Post #26   9/16/12 5:43:01PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Never have given this show a chance.

However I didn't much care for the sopranos if it's anything like that then I think I'll pass.

The walking dead. Breaking Bad. The office. Are good enough for me

Post #27   9/16/12 6:41:24PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,781-1,448
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by iwannabesedated

Seinfeld is 21st in rating on IMDB, no way.

Post #28   9/16/12 7:50:58PM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,958-1,134
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by iwannabesedated

Seinfeld is 21st in rating on IMDB, no way.

Seinfeld sucks..IMO.That's a show i never could watch.

Post #29   9/17/12 10:54:38PM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by warglory

For those in doubt about the validity of The Wire being the best show on television, take a look at this opening scene. Absolutely classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3T_2RTDcVo

I've never seen the show and this scene did nothing to convince me that I am missing something

Post #30   9/18/12 12:16:08AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3