Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Started watching the Wire today.

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

SpiderSilva

07/07

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,887-1,178
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
5 episodes in 4 1\2 seasons to go.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #1   9/14/12 6:51:31PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Are you hooked already? I've only heard good things about this show but I've never actually sat down and watched it.

Post #2   9/14/12 7:08:53PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
I rank it as low as any HBO series to date.

Incredibly overrated and boring...."interwebber geeks" say it's cool so everyone else jumps on board....didn't see what all the fuss was about.

INSTEAD, HBO hit it on the head with.....

The Sopranos
Boardwalk Empire
Game of Thrones
Treme

Last edited 9/14/12 7:18PM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #3   9/14/12 7:16:39PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,637-1,512
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Are you hooked already? I've only heard good things about this show but I've never actually sat down and watched it.

We're in the same boat Budge.

Post #4   9/14/12 7:16:53PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Incredibly overrated and boring...."interwebber geeks say it's cool so everyone else jumps on board....didn't see what all the fuss was about.

The Sopranos
Boardwalk Empire
Game of Thrones
Treme

Never heard of Treme but I can't argue with the other shows. All great.

Post #5   9/14/12 7:19:19PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Incredibly overrated and boring...."interwebber geeks say it's cool so everyone else jumps on board....didn't see what all the fuss was about.

The Sopranos
Boardwalk Empire
Game of Thrones
Treme

Don't get me wrong, I love a good-slow intelligent adult drama, BUT, this show didn't make yours truly get engaged......oh well, to each his/her own.

Michael Kenneth-Williams is an excellent actor though

Post #6   9/14/12 7:21:49PM   

SpiderSilva

07/07

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,887-1,178
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think its pretty good so far. I'm hooked and plan on watching every episode. Only thing is its dated. i.e. type writers/pay phones/pagers.

That was expected as I grew up(a teenager) during this time and enjoy the time frame.

@Charlie_Sonnen great shows except I didn't like boardwalk empire at all.

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #7   9/14/12 7:22:26PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
They address the reason they have typewriters. It's because the city has a ludicrous crime rate, and the police don't have enough money or manpower to do anything about it.

Considering the series was made by a reporter who covered the drug crimes in baltimore and a guy who was a detective for 20 years in Baltimore, I would be surprised if that wasn't actually completely accurate.

Post #8   9/14/12 8:33:47PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

I think its pretty good so far. I'm hooked and plan on watching every episode. Only thing is its dated. i.e. type writers/pay phones/pagers.

That was expected as I grew up(a teenager) during this time and enjoy the time frame.

@Charlie_Sonnen great shows except I didn't like boardwalk empire at all.

Aether explains the type writers, and the pagers/pay phones are done in order to stay off home land lines and cell phones. I'm glad you like the show, but I hope you're not watching the show thinking it takes place in like, 1995 or something.

Everything in the show is completely logical to a fault. It's amazing.

Post #9   9/14/12 8:38:41PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:
A lot of the actors were also actually involved in the baltimore drug trade. They use a lot of people from Baltimore and actual retired criminals, real slang, etc.

It's an incredibly realistic show, and IMO it's the best TV drama of all time.

Post #10   9/14/12 8:48:06PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I have a cousin that lives in Glen Burnie and they talk just like them. They say "The Boy" all the time. Its top 3 fav show of mine and I did it like you last winter I watched it all in like one month

Post #11   9/14/12 9:46:25PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,413-1,434
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
Chael is accurate here, this shows way overrated. I may be wrong but man oh man is that first episode slow and trerrible. I'm sure the shows great and my buddies swear by it but I've started it three times and can't finish through the first episode. Watch Sons of Anarchy, Dexter or Breaking Bad instead.

Post #12   9/14/12 10:22:38PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Wallass

Chael is accurate here, this shows way overrated. I may be wrong but man oh man is that first episode slow and trerrible. I'm sure the shows great and my buddies swear by it but I've started it three times and can't finish through the first episode. Watch Sons of Anarchy, Dexter or Breaking Bad instead.

Do I need to point out how ridiculous it is to say that a show is overrated when you haven't even watched one entire episode?

Post #13   9/14/12 11:26:41PM   

BossHog

MMA Regular

BossHog Avatar

Career:52-41
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

The Sopranos
Boardwalk Empire
Game of Thrones
Treme

Don't get me wrong, I love a good-slow intelligent adult drama, BUT, this show didn't make yours truly get engaged......oh well, to each his/her own.

Michael Kenneth-Williams is an excellent actor though

Chael may be able to appreciate my favorite quote from the wire better than most of us.

"You come at the king, you best not miss." (even with a spinning elbow)

Born and bred in Baltimore so I may be a little biased, but it's top 5 shows I've ever seen. Also based on Shakespeare not many people know this.

Post #14   9/15/12 12:13:02AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Posted by Wallass

Do I need to point out how ridiculous it is to say that a show is overrated when you haven't even watched one entire episode?

Thats what I'm saying. Hell I watched the entire first season of Espisodes thinking it was dumb until the last episode of season one I started to like it.

Post #15   9/15/12 8:47:33AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3