Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

USA TODAY: Anderson Silva vs. Stephan Bonnar headlines UFC 153

Print  
  Page 5 of 6   <<   2     3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

SpiderSilva

Spiderweidman

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,760-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by jjeans

Silva is risking his reputation against a guy who's only lost by cuts or Decision, and he's doing that on 30 days notice. Not every champion is willing to step up a weight class, save an event, or even fight on 30 days notice with no training camp prior.

do you think Silva would have accepted this short notice fight vs someone like Evans or Shogun...or even Teixiera? Or does Bonnar make more sense for him?

I'll give him credit for stepping up to save the card, but not for accepting to fight Bonnar....Bonnar gets mad respect for stepping up to fight Silva

Exactly

What if he volunteered and all they could find to fight him was Bonner? He did step up for 151 vs any 205er.....

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #61   9/13/12 8:41:55AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:625-338
Chips:

Posted by shaneTpain

its such a strange fight that its very intriguing !

everyone knows that Bonnar is losing the fight but I'm tuning in FOR SURE for the same reason that I used to watch Mick Foley wrestling matches.. To see how much punishment this crazy motherfucker is gonna take

hell in a cell vs taker...best cage match ever !

Post #62   9/13/12 8:58:00AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Chips:

Posted by frizzzlecake

Fuck you Anderson Silva, you can't fight Weidman because he's not a name? but you fight a 8-6 Bonnar who built that awesome record in a different weight class.

You serious man? You're pissed that he's stepping up to save the card?? The fight against Weidman would be for a title and Weidman has by no means earned a title shot. Weidman has beaten 2 good guys and only one of those wins was in impressive fashion. He's got a lot more work to do to build a case and to build a name.

With regards to this fight, it's obviously a huge mismatch on paper. Bonnar got technically out struck by Forrest Griffin and we all saw how well Forrest did vs Anderson on the feet.

On the other hand, Bonnar has a great chin so can take a lot of punishment, he is an underrated grappler, he's not going to be afraid to get in there and trade with Anderson, and anyone can get knocked out.

An 8-6 fighter beating the GOAT would be the biggest upset in MMA or maybe even fight sports history......

But that doesn't mean its impossible.

Post #63   9/13/12 9:24:11AM   

Chuteboxer

Standup Guy

Chuteboxer Avatar

Career:297-176
Camp: The Grappling Academy
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by frizzzlecake

Fuck you Anderson Silva, you can't fight Weidman because he's not a name? but you fight a 8-6 Bonnar who built that awesome record in a different weight class.

You serious man? You're pissed that he's stepping up to save the card?? The fight against Weidman would be for a title and Weidman has by no means earned a title shot. Weidman has beaten 2 good guys and only one of those wins was in impressive fashion. He's got a lot more work to do to build a case and to build a name.

With regards to this fight, it's obviously a huge mismatch on paper. Bonnar got technically out struck by Forrest Griffin and we all saw how well Forrest did vs Anderson on the feet.

On the other hand, Bonnar has a great chin so can take a lot of punishment, he is an underrated grappler, he's not going to be afraid to get in there and trade with Anderson, and anyone can get knocked out.

An 8-6 fighter beating the GOAT would be the biggest upset in MMA or maybe even fight sports history......

But that doesn't mean its impossible.

This. I don't know why any old-school fan who remembers Bonnar fighting years ago wouldn't be ecstatic to see this. I know I'll watch this fight simply because I have hopes Bonnar will do what Forrest couldn't do; make Silva fight.

Post #64   9/13/12 9:37:06AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

This is what i don't understand why people don't want to see this. Weidman is tied up in a fight and this has to do with fight in Brazil and giving them a show more than anything. This may be the last time he fights in his home country. Unless he fights GSP in that soccer stadium...........

Weidman is tied up because Silva refused to fight him

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #65   9/13/12 11:05:53AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

You serious man? You're pissed that he's stepping up to save the card?? The fight against Weidman would be for a title and Weidman has by no means earned a title shot. Weidman has beaten 2 good guys and only one of those wins was in impressive fashion. He's got a lot more work to do to build a case and to build a name

he has by every means earned a title shot. He has done more, and beaten better ranked opponents, than Cote, Maia and Belfort had to "earn" their title shots vs Silva. He has done more than what Belfort (LHW as well), Faber, Florian (FW), Koscheck, Lesnar, and others to earn a title shot. He was sluggish vs Maia as he had 8 days to get into fight shape, pretty valid reason if you ask me. If not Weidman, than name me one other MW who deserves the next title shot. If you cant then the #2-4 MW in the world absolutely deserves the title shot

If Anderson Silva himself cannot sell a PPV headliner, something is wrong with him/his management.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #66   9/13/12 11:16:31AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,603-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

he has by every means earned a title shot. He has done more, and beaten better ranked opponents, than Cote, Maia and Belfort had to "earn" their title shots vs Silva. He has done more than what Belfort (LHW as well), Faber, Florian (FW), Koscheck, Lesnar, and others to earn a title shot. He was sluggish vs Maia as he had 8 days to get into fight shape, pretty valid reason if you ask me. If not Weidman, than name me one other MW who deserves the next title shot. If you cant then the #2-4 MW in the world absolutely deserves the title shot

If Anderson Silva himself cannot sell a PPV headliner, something is wrong with him/his management.

Tim Boetsch, the fighter Chris Weidman has to fight next, has a more impressive win on his middleweight run than Chris Weidman does. (Weidman is probably the harder fight, but if you are using the nuts and bolts of strength of schedule, Boetsch has a win over Okami - a better fighter than anybody Weidman has defeated.)

Dana White has not campaigned for Chris Weidman either. Probably because his job is promoting these events.

Post #67   9/13/12 11:31:27AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
To even take this fight on Silvas part in my eyes means he wouldnt even have a remote chance at Jon Jones...Maybe Bonnar gets lucky and rocks him...

Post #68   9/13/12 11:35:03AM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:781-480
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Posted by Bubbles

Tim Boetsch, the fighter Chris Weidman has to fight next, has a more impressive win on his middleweight run than Chris Weidman does. (Weidman is probably the harder fight, but if you are using the nuts and bolts of strength of schedule, Boetsch has a win over Okami - a better fighter than anybody Weidman has defeated.)

Dana White has not campaigned for Chris Weidman either. Probably because his job is promoting these events.

Boetsch is the only other MW that has 2 top 10 wins, other than Weidman. And yes, Okami is a better name to have a win over than Munoz or Maia, but you also have to take into account how the fights went down. Boetsch was getting dominated by Okami before he went Barbarian on him, and against Lombard, he barely did enough to win a controversial decision. It doesn't matter anymore as all parties are booked, but I did see Weidman as worthy because he had beaten 2 top 10 MWs. Other than Sonnen, nobody, at least recently, had done that before being awarded a shot at Anderson.

Post #69   9/13/12 12:01:26PM   

SpiderSilva

Spiderweidman

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,760-1,113
Chips:
Belcher has a nice streak going. I like him vs Silva over both Boetsch and weidman. Plus I think he can beat both.

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #70   9/13/12 12:35:42PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,200-1,190
Chips:

Posted by tallica62

Now that I think about it, at least we'll get to see Silva perform some nifty never been done before ko of some sort....I'm going with literal karate CHOP ko

That would be badass. We all know Bonnar is suseptable to spinning elbows. Spinning karate chop FTW

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #71   9/13/12 12:43:44PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by bigrand826

Posted by lohmann

Posted by Bubbles

Boetsch is the only other MW that has 2 top 10 wins, other than Weidman. And yes, Okami is a better name to have a win over than Munoz or Maia, but you also have to take into account how the fights went down. Boetsch was getting dominated by Okami before he went Barbarian on him, and against Lombard, he barely did enough to win a controversial decision. It doesn't matter anymore as all parties are booked, but I did see Weidman as worthy because he had beaten 2 top 10 MWs. Other than Sonnen, nobody, at least recently, had done that before being awarded a shot at Anderson.

I look at it like this Tim Boetsch has the ability to win a fight at anytime. He was getting worked and he came back from that and knocked the guy out. It wasn't a fluke KO like we have seen before dude just decided he was not going to lose that fight and as you said went Barbarian on him. Whos to say we don't see him do that to Anderson or anyone else. While I don't think it would happen Id be intrested in watching him try. Far more intresting then Weidman trying to takehim down. IMO

Post #72   9/13/12 12:59:14PM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:781-480
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by bigrand826

Posted by lohmann

Posted by Bubbles

I look at it like this Tim Boetsch has the ability to win a fight at anytime. He was getting worked and he came back from that and knocked the guy out. It wasn't a fluke KO like we have seen before dude just decided he was not going to lose that fight and as you said went Barbarian on him. Whos to say we don't see him do that to Anderson or anyone else. While I don't think it would happen Id be intrested in watching him try. Far more intresting then Weidman trying to takehim down. IMO

And Weidman doesn't have the ability to win a fight at any time? And don't you think Boetsch would be trying to get Anderson down as well? Are you just trying to say that Boetsch has a better chance standing? I suppose, but I'd argue that Weidman probably has a better chance on the ground, and anybody is going to have a better shot on the ground than on the feet against Anderson, imo. Again, it doesn't matter now because the winner of Weidman-Boetsch will be far and away the most worthy of the next shot at Anderson's belt. That will be 3 top 10 wins, which is about 2 more than anybody besides Sonnen has racked up on their way to a MW title shot.

Post #73   9/13/12 2:15:44PM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:1,940-1,207
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
This will be "Fight of the Year"

Last edited 9/13/12 2:35PM server time by joewarren33
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #74   9/13/12 2:35:04PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

I don't think anyone has earned it yet and they still need to have some of these top guys fight each other to figure it out.

Boetsch, Weidman, Belcher, Bisping, and Belfort are all in the mix but not one of them has distinguished themselves.

If Weidman dominates Boetsch or if he wins one more fight after Boetsch, there is no way you can deny that he's earned the shot.

In the mean time, since there is no clear contender, this is the perfect time to set up GSP vs Silva.

Post #75   9/13/12 2:45:44PM   

Page 5 of 6   <<   2     3     4     5     6