Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

MMA Mainstream Acceptance? Not So Fast

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Let me be the first to applaud the recent exposure that the Ultimate Fighting Championships brand of mixed martial arts has been getting. Let me also be the first to underline Dave Meltzer's statement; "MMA isn't popular - the UFC is popular."

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   5/29/07 3:18:00PM   

NME

MMA Regular

NME Avatar

Career:513-264
Camp: The F4W EMPIRE~!
Chips:
Myspace pages as MMA news? Really?

Post #2   5/29/07 3:22:28PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Chips:
If it's about MMA, it can be news. I like reading what other people besides "experts" have to say about MMA. Sorry if you didn't like what he had to say. You don't have to be Rogan, Bas, Goldberg or Dana to have soemthing to say.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #3   5/29/07 3:27:15PM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Career:440-296
Chips:
Technically speaking, opinion pieces are not news. Opinions articles from a “respected” media outlet may pass for news if they are important enough figures or controversial positions, but a myspace blog is far from either. Blogs in general are garbage with a few exceptions (Joe Lauzons blog is awesome). While I am on the topic of respected media figures, when did Joe Rogan become the spokes man for MMA. Lets run down his credentials.

New Radio – great show, but not related to MMA.
Fear Factor – possibly the worst show ever and again not related to MMA.
The Man Show – Was OK before Rogan, but not after. Also not related to MMA.
Taking Carlos Mencia down a peg – Great and I recommend you watch it, but not related to MMA.
Smoking Pot with Eddie Bravo – loosely related to MMA.

He does a fairly good job as a color man on the UFC shows, but why send him to ESPN where he can repeatedly shout “Pernell Whitaker”. He failed to point out the flaws in boxing. He failed to rebut the “human cock fighting” label. In fact, He also shouted “The sport of fighting” several times. Just because you add “sport” in doesn’t mean its legit. You have to make a cohesive argument. Boxing is not bad, its good. It has flaws and they may lead to the downfall of it as a major force in sports. PPV revenue is down. Under cards are weak and there are no new stars in boxing. A ten count is highly dangerous and one of the reason Boxing can be more dangerous then MMA.

MMA is an outlet for great traditional fighting styles to shine in an open format. BJJ, Muay Thai, Judo, Boxing, Kick boxing, classic wrestling, ect. The UFC is filled with all-American collegiate wrestlers who, for the first time, have the opportunity to practice there craft as a professional. Part of the beauty of an MMA match is that anything can happen. Two fighters who have black belts in BJJ may stand with each other for a whole round, each fearing the others guard. An opponents may be to tentative of one particular skill of his rival and it opens him up to another attack. If they can learn to sprawl Boxers may do very well in MMA. If they can learn enough to keep the fight standing then they can be successful. Currently and in the past, there is not enough money in MMA to attract a lot of high level Boxers, but that is changing. Boxing will never die as an art, but it is dying as a big money maker. Just remember, MMA didn’t kill boxing. Boxing killed boxing.

Post #4   5/29/07 6:35:41PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
he makes a good point or two, but a lot of his analogies are ridiculous, and I disagree that the UFC has not become mainstream yet.

Post #5   5/29/07 7:37:52PM   

NME

MMA Regular

NME Avatar

Chips:

Posted by szucconi

Technically speaking, opinion pieces are not news. Opinions articles from a “respected” media outlet may pass for news if they are important enough figures or controversial positions, but a myspace blog is far from either. Blogs in general are garbage with a few exceptions (Joe Lauzons blog is awesome). While I am on the topic of respected media figures, when did Joe Rogan become the spokes man for MMA. Lets run down his credentials.

Taking Carlos Mencia down a peg – Great and I recommend you watch it, but not related to MMA.

He does a fairly good job as a color man on the UFC shows, but why send him to ESPN where he can repeatedly shout “Pernell Whitaker”. He failed to point out the flaws in boxing. He failed to rebut the “human cock fighting” label. In fact, He also shouted “The sport of fighting” several times. Just because you add “sport” in doesn’t mean its legit. You have to make a cohesive argument. Boxing is not bad, its good. It has flaws and they may lead to the downfall of it as a major force in sports. PPV revenue is down. Under cards are weak and there are no new stars in boxing. A ten count is highly dangerous and one of the reason Boxing can be more dangerous then MMA.

MMA is an outlet for great traditional fighting styles to shine in an open format. BJJ, Muay Thai, Judo, Boxing, Kick boxing, classic wrestling, ect. The UFC is filled with all-American collegiate wrestlers who, for the first time, have the opportunity to practice there craft as a professional. Part of the beauty of an MMA match is that anything can happen. Two fighters who have black belts in BJJ may stand with each other for a whole round, each fearing the others guard. An opponents may be to tentative of one particular skill of his rival and it opens him up to another attack. If they can learn to sprawl Boxers may do very well in MMA. If they can learn enough to keep the fight standing then they can be successful. Currently and in the past, there is not enough money in MMA to attract a lot of high level Boxers, but that is changing. Boxing will never die as an art, but it is dying as a big money maker. Just remember, MMA didn’t kill boxing. Boxing killed boxing.

It's a shame this post isn't getting the credit it deserves since its in a post linking to a myspace page. Comedy, intelligent introspection, poignant commentary...Zephead, I encourage you to link to this man's blog in the future.

And szucconi, I encourage you to actually create a blog for zephead to link to.

Post #6   5/30/07 3:01:34PM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Chips:

Posted by NME

Posted by szucconi

It's a shame this post isn't getting the credit it deserves since its in a post linking to a myspace page. Comedy, intelligent introspection, poignant commentary...Zephead, I encourage you to link to this man's blog in the future.

You should use a sarcasm font when you disagree with me. That way, I won’t destroy you.

I RULE YOU!

Post #7   5/30/07 3:12:57PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Chips:

Posted by NME

Posted by szucconi

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to check it out.

Post #8   5/30/07 3:53:01PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Chips:

Posted by szucconi

Technically speaking, I didn't say it was news, I said, "It CAN be news."

Post #9   5/30/07 3:55:43PM   

NME

MMA Regular

NME Avatar

Chips:

Posted by szucconi
You should use a sarcasm font when you disagree with me. That way, I won’t destroy you.

I RULE YOU!

I can't envision a scenario that does not involved football or baseball in which I would disagree with you.

Well, I disagree with your philosophy on picking against all the winners in fights.

Post #10   5/30/07 3:57:23PM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Chips:

Posted by zephead

Technically speaking, this is the news section

Post #11   5/30/07 3:58:30PM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Chips:

Posted by NME

Posted by szucconi

I RULE YOU!

I can't envision a scenario that does not involved football or baseball in which I would disagree with you.

Well, I disagree with your philosophy on picking against all the winners in fights.

Low blow. I know where you live. I will stop bring cookies there is you mention my bad fight pick ability. Its just as hard to pick the loser as it is to pick the winner.

Post #12   5/30/07 4:03:29PM   

NME

MMA Regular

NME Avatar

Chips:

Posted by szucconi

Posted by zephead

Technically speaking it's an editorial, which does appear in the newspaper on some level.

I think it's in the Opinion/Editorial section. Which, as I understand it, is separate from actual news, or the reporting of facts relevant to the topic or discussion of the day. But I don't actually read the paper, so I could be completely wrong on this one.

I should probably point out that I'm not taking a shot at Zephead by questioning the posting of myspace pages as news. I'm supposed taking a shot at myspace. I would point out that only one person in this thread has, in any way, addressed the article that was linked to, so I feel that validates my opinion that myspace pages being posted as news isn't necessarily the way to go. But...eh. You post the news, I play the fantasy game, and the world keeps on spinning.

Posted by szucconi

Low blow. I know where you live. I will stop bring cookies there is you mention my bad fight pick ability. Its just as hard to pick the loser as it is to pick the winner.

First of all, you made cookies once. Second of all, picking losers may be just as hard for everyone else, but not for you!

Last edited 5/30/07 4:07PM server time by nme
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   5/30/07 4:05:13PM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Chips:

Posted by NME

Posted by szucconi

Posted by zephead

Technically speaking it's an editorial, which does appear in the newspaper on some level.

I think it's in the Opinion/Editorial section. Which, as I understand it, is separate from actual news, or the reporting of facts relevant to the topic or discussion of the day. But I don't actually read the paper, so I could be completely wrong on this one.

I should probably point out that I'm not taking a shot at Zephead by questioning the posting of myspace pages as news. I'm supposed taking a shot at myspace. I would point out that only one person in this thread has, in any way, addressed the article that was linked to, so I feel that validates my opinion that myspace pages being posted as news isn't necessarily the way to go. But...eh. You post the news, I play the fantasy game, and the world keeps on spinning.

Posted by szucconi

First of all, you made cookies once. Second of all, picking losers may be just as hard for everyone else, but not for you!

Editorials are in the newspaper, but this is a message board. There are a lot of places for editorial comment. We can stop the MMA News page from scrolling down so fast if we keep the lame myspace articles out. I don't care about peoples opinions unless that person is me. I do care to know card updates or when UFC signs someone.

As for my cookie threats, they are transparently idol. I will use any excuse to bake. Not because I like doing it, but because I like eating baked goods. It’s a miracle that I am under 300 lbs. let alone the trim 165 I am today.

Post #14   5/30/07 4:47:03PM   

NME

MMA Regular

NME Avatar

Chips:

Posted by szucconi
Editorials are in the newspaper, but this is a message board.

That was my point, more or less. Too subtle?

Post #15   5/30/07 4:59:38PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2