Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

'The Ultimate Fighter: India' official for 2013 debut

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
UFC officials today announced that the promotion has partnered with India's SONY SIX to produce "The Ultimate Fighter: India," which will air on the channel in 2013.

"We are very excited to partner with SIX as the UFC expands into India," UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta stated. "We look forward to working with them to not only further expand the UFC's fanbase [in India] but also to find and develop local talent and, ultimately, bring regular live events to India."

~I'm not sure if we have anyone with Indian heritage on here, but this means more MMA

Post #1   9/11/12 8:07:10PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
fuck yea, my heritage is indian... my ass needs to get to india

Post #2   9/11/12 9:18:05PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,600-1,654
Chips:
Interaested to see what styles come out of that region, it's truley an untapped market....get it...."UNTAPPED"!

Post #3   9/11/12 9:51:51PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Strange. Of all of the countries to get a TUF, India is not one that I would've expected to be at the top of the list. Don't really know anything about India's fighting scene, I would guess there's going to be a lot of kickboxers though.

Post #4   9/11/12 10:03:50PM   

LuckyCharms

Standup Guy

LuckyCharms Avatar

Career:502-385
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Strange. Of all of the countries to get a TUF, India is not one that I would've expected to be at the top of the list. Don't really know anything about India's fighting scene, I would guess there's going to be a lot of kickboxers though.

I was surprise too, but I think UFC wants to tap into the local market before anyone else. Remember there are currently I.22 billion of people living in India, that's a huge potential market for UFC. If UFC hits a homerun with India, then they will rake in hundred, no thousands, no hundred-thousand of millions of dollars.

http://www.indiaonlinepages.com/population/india-current-population.html

Post #5   9/11/12 11:04:31PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by LuckyCharms

Posted by Aether

I was surprise too, but I think UFC wants to tap into the local market before anyone else. Remember there are currently I.22 billion of people living in India, that's a huge potential market for UFC. If UFC hits a homerun with India, then they will rake in hundred, no thousands, no hundred-thousand of millions of dollars.

http://www.indiaonlinepages.com/population/india-current-population.html

Ah yeah, of course you must be right. It has to be the population.

Post #6   9/11/12 11:13:20PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,533-897
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I agree that this is unexpected but I also think its awesome.

Spreading MMA around the world is only going to be good for fans and fighters alike.

I hope that the Indian fight scene changes MMA conventions in some big way.

Post #7   9/11/12 11:35:19PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
they did have a silver medalist in wrestling at london 2012, Sushil Kumar.

Post #8   9/12/12 12:02:00AM   

landstander

MMA Regular

landstander Avatar

Career:51-32
Chips:
Some pockets of India do have a wrestling/grappling culture. The wrestlers live in the training barracks and train full time. They wrestle in small arenas and people bet on them. They had the people from the BBC show Last Man Standing go and train with them.

Post #9   9/12/12 2:40:22AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,159-691
Chips:
I would not be surprised to see in 20/30 years India vs China championship bouts like how America vs Brazil seems to dominate championship events today

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #10   9/12/12 7:47:47AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by Aether

well they do have their own promotion: Super Fight League with a lot of local talent on the show

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #11   9/12/12 9:30:54AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,040-604
Chips:
What style of fighter do you ask? 10th degree blackbelt in yoga and fire spitting of course!

Post #12   9/12/12 11:28:18AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
India was a part of the British empire for years and adopted boxing from them, and were a world power in wrestling in the early 1900's. The thing is, the poverty level of India is staggering, and finding world class fighters will be next to impossible there.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #13   9/12/12 11:40:06AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,533-897
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

India was a part of the British empire for years and adopted boxing from them, and were a world power in wrestling in the early 1900's. The thing is, the poverty level of India is staggering, and finding world class fighters will be next to impossible there.

Actually, the best fighters usually come out of poor neighborhoods.

The guys who take up fighting full time often have no other opportunities (not that that's true of everyone *Cought* BJ Penn *Cough*).

In the USA, the best boxers have always been minorities or recent immigrants that have less opportunity than your average American (sometimes because of racism, sometimes because of language barriers).

In the early 1900's, the Irish dominated US boxing. Then African American fighters started to take over. Now Mexican Americans and Cuban Americans are dominating.

I think they will find plenty of young men in India that are eager for a chance to improve their lives.

Post #14   9/12/12 2:59:32PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
American poor are far far far better off than Indian poor.

Yes, some of the best fighters are born from poverty, but India's class system ranges from mega rich to literally owning nothing. You cant learn to fight if you're starving to death. Its a very different world.

You also need to look at a place on the grand scale of sports to know if a country will produce fighters. Their big sports in India are cricket and cultural variations of the same. Those games don't have a real set "build" for their athletes, so its something that will cut into the MMA crop.

India does occasionally turn out a boxer or two, but they're from privilaged families and generally learned to box in college. In short, I don't ever see India being an MMA super power like China has potential for.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #15   9/12/12 3:29:48PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2