Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC boss White still keen on Silva vs. St-Pierre, says Silva vs. Jones also possible

Print  
Posted By Message

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
~LINKITUDE~

If 2012 was the year of the UFC injury, 2013 may very well be the year of the UFC superfight.

UFC President Dana White today told HDNet's "Inside MMA" that not only is an Anderson Silva (32-4 MMA, 15-0 UFC) vs. Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) bout looking more and more likely if "GSP" can defeat Carlos Condit but that Silva vs. Jon Jones (16-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) could very well happen, too.

~LINKITUDE~

Post #1   9/10/12 10:07:56PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:
From White

"Anderson and Jones are saying, 'Hey, we're buddies,' or 'We don't want to fight' or whatever the deal is," White said. "But [Jones] didn't want to fight Rashad either, and that happened."

It makes sense to these top fighters to be 'buddies' with other top guys who might beat them, that way they can keep getting easy fights. I call BS, Jon Jones VS Anderson Silva -make it happen Joe.

Last edited 9/10/12 10:34PM server time by infestructure
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   9/10/12 10:33:30PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
yea and fedor vs randy could happen too

Post #3   9/10/12 11:19:05PM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:
Silva vs Jones? Lets be realistic now.

Post #4   9/10/12 11:29:39PM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:1,185-752
Camp: Playground Mafia
Chips:
i'm not sure why dana would even say something like that. maybe it to get the casual fans to say, hey that those two real good fighters, that would be awesome. but he has to realize that the hardcore fans are going to hear those words ring hollow

Post #5   9/10/12 11:47:58PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,591-928
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Would love to see it. Won't believe it until its signed.

Post #6   9/11/12 12:07:20AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,284-838
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I'll just wait till it actually happens.

Post #7   9/11/12 1:04:07AM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,559-801
Chips:
silva vs bones is the only fight relevant for both fighter no one else in there respective divisions can give them any trouble

Post #8   9/11/12 3:00:02AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,591-928
Chips:

Posted by mentalcase

silva vs bones is the only fight relevant for both fighter no one else in there respective divisions can give them any trouble

I think Silva vs GSP is also very relevant.

I think both GSP and Jones pose interesting challenges for Sivla but for different reasons. Jones brings massive physical advantages. He is taller than Silva, he's got better reach, he's younger, he's faster, he's stronger.....ect. At the same time, Silva would bring a massive experience advantage to the fight as well as being a much more technical striker and submission fighter. Not to mention, Silva is one of those guys who just finds a way to win.

GSP brings interesting challenges for another reason. He is a little bit smaller than Silva, true. However, he's got better MMA wrestling than Chael Sonnen (IMO) and also a more overall skill set that would allow him to take full advantage of his wrestling advantage. While Chael could take Anderson down, he basically just had to maintain position and try to land ground and pound once he got there. GSP will be much better equipped to pass guard, get dominant positions, defend submissions, and work for his own submissions. GSP is also much better than Chael on the feet and will be able to hang with Anderson in that element.

I would like to see Anderson fight both men (provided he wins the first match) before he retires.

Post #9   9/11/12 9:15:28AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
People are fickle. First off Dana White should shut his fucking mouth and let GSP do to his division what Anderson did to MW, secondly all those EASY fights for Jones and Silva werent easy...... Silva beating Chael twice, beating Hendo fresh out of Pride, beating Lutter with a triangle, staying unsubmitted by a vastly superior Maia sub game..... Just because he's that good doesnt mean its easy

Jones beat half the top 10 already and I'm pretty sure he would tell you just because he bet Machida decisively doesnt mean it was easy whatsoever... or Rampage, definitely not rashad....

I keep on waiting for Weidman to destroy Silva and Gustaffson to at least fuck Jones up so people can see these are a+ competitors and not just a+ talents.

Post #10   9/11/12 9:20:49AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:741-409
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

People are fickle. First off Dana White should shut his fucking mouth and let GSP do to his division what Anderson did to MW, secondly all those EASY fights for Jones and Silva werent easy...... Silva beating Chael twice, beating Hendo fresh out of Pride, beating Lutter with a triangle, staying unsubmitted by a vastly superior Maia sub game..... Just because he's that good doesnt mean its easy

Jones beat half the top 10 already and I'm pretty sure he would tell you just because he bet Machida decisively doesnt mean it was easy whatsoever... or Rampage, definitely not rashad....

I keep on waiting for Weidman to destroy Silva and Gustaffson to at least fuck Jones up so people can see these are a+ competitors and not just a+ talents.

the people always want more !!

Post #11   9/11/12 9:22:51AM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:833-506
Chips:

Posted by voodoo-jitsu

i'm not sure why dana would even say something like that. maybe it to get the casual fans to say, hey that those two real good fighters, that would be awesome. but he has to realize that the hardcore fans are going to hear those words ring hollow

I don't understand it either. Dana spews bits of BS pretty regularly and unless you haven't heard him speak much, you realize this. I was one of the many that put no hope in the fight happening as Dana mentioned it would in Dallas at 180 lbs. Just yesterday I saw a video interview where GSP was talking about the new challengers at WW and how he would be looking to take those guys on should he beat Condit rather than fighting Anderson. There was a time when both divisions actually were cleaned out and GSP talked about how if he moved up, he'd want to do it the right way (build muscle and put on weight so that he could cut down MW) and make it a permanent move. He spoke about how he did not want to be moving up and down weight classes because he viewed that as a reason for Roy Jones Jr.'s decline and he didn't want to follow that route. In his recent interview, it was similar talk. The difference is, he is coming off an injury, has a fight scheduled in November, has an immediate contender in Hendricks-Kampmann, along with other possible challengers in Nick Diaz, Erick Silva with an impressive win over Fitch, etc. I just did not understand why some people seemed so sold that it was happening, and sooner rather than later. Why? Because Anderson's team was posturing for that fight because they didn't deem Weidman worthy? Because Dana mentioned it? Because GSP's trainer said that GSP mentioned he wanted the fight? To make a fight, both parties have to accept. I just didn't see how, given GSP's calculated approach and past take on the situation, he'd really go for this fight... at least not in 2013. The only reasons I could see the fight happening sooner rather than later is if 1) his time recovering from the injury has somehow completely changed his risk assessment and approach and/or 2) Rory MacDonald becomes the #1 contender.

Post #12   9/11/12 9:55:32AM   

NaturalBornKiller92

MMA Regular

NaturalBornKiller92 Avatar

Career:131-89
Chips:
"Words words words....words words words...possibility."

That's what I just took from that article.

Post #13   9/11/12 2:00:59PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,655-1,453
Chips:

Anyone else sick of reading about Jon Jones and superfights? Either make the fights or STFU.

Post #14   9/11/12 2:13:04PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,115-870
Chips:

Posted by Franklinfan47

Anyone else sick of reading about Jon Jones and superfights? Either make the fights or STFU.

we can talk about Jones superfights when he starts accepting fights with real 205 lbs threats again :P

Post #15   9/11/12 6:45:59PM