Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Former champ Joe Warren plans return at bantamweight – with Bellator boss's blessing

Print  
Posted By Message

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:972-649
Camp: the thuggee's
Chips:
LINK

Bjorn Rebney wasn't happy. Far from it.

Just a few feet away from him, his featherweight title was changing hands. He wasn't upset he had a new titleholder to promote, but he was far from happy with how his champ was taken out – taking what was fairly universally agreed to be far more punishment than was necessary.

But with Bellator 60 and Joe Warren's brutal knockout loss to Pat Curran in the rearview mirror, Rebney said Warren is ready to get back to work.

Warren (7-3 MMA, 5-2 BFC) held his own against Curran (17-4 MMA, 7-1 BFC) for two rounds in the main event of Bellator 60 in Hammond, Ind., not far from Curran's stomping grounds north of Chicago. In fact, Curran's cousin, UFC vet Jeff Curran, told the challenger before the third round that had had lost the first two frames.

But in the third, Curran turned up the heat, and with Warren against the fence, Curran landed blow after blow to Warren's head – with the cage appearing to help keep him upright when he surely was out on his feet. With one final uppercut, and with Curran looking to referee Jeff Malott, seemingly begging him to stop it, Warren finally slumped to the canvas.

"It's the only time I can remember sitting cageside where I actually threw my headset off and started screaming," Rebney recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "It was hard to watch. There are moments in time where you see athletes freeze, and there we saw a referee freeze. For some reason, he was not reacting to it. I don't know if it was the lights or the cameras or what it was, but it was a very poor job. It should've been stopped five, six seconds or more before it was stopped."

Perhaps it was Warren's sheer determination that helped keep him standing so long while absorbing Curran's punishment. He was undersized at featherweight, fighting above his natural 135-pound class the way he did in DREAM – yet he became the promotion's 145-pound champion.

Post #1   9/10/12 6:36:06PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
AWESOME news!!!!!

Can't wait to see Lil' Joey get KTFO - - - AGAIN

Post #2   9/10/12 10:35:10PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,447-862
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

AWESOME news!!!!!

Can't wait to see Lil' Joey to K his opposition TFO- - - AGAIN like he did to Soto

Post #3   9/11/12 6:27:12AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,475-898
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
That was hard to watch. No one should ever take a beating like Joe Warren took. I love seeing a good ass whooping, but not the kind of beating where you question the quality of life a fighter is going to have afterwards.

Hopefully Joe can have some success, and make weight, at 135. Neither went well for him last time

Post #4   9/11/12 3:01:08PM