Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Ricardo Lamas Accepted Offer To Fight Jose Aldo Before UFC Changed Challenger Plans To Frankie Edgar

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
While there have been a long list of injuries forcing cancellations and reschedulings of UFC fights, one of the rare cases where fans were more excited about the replacement fight than the original came when Erik Koch was injured and forced out of his title bout with Jose Aldo. In place of Koch, we're being treated to Frankie Edgar's first bout at featherweight being a title shot.

But the fight almost didn't happen as, according to a story at Bleacher Report, Ricardo Lamas was offered (and accepted) the fight with Aldo:

"They [UFC] had called me first on Thursday," Lamas stated. "They had called me up at about 3:30 p.m. Central time and said, 'Obviously Koch is injured and we need to know tonight if you want to take this fight with Aldo? We think you deserve it and we need to redo your contract. We need to get it all done by tonight.'"

LINK

Post #1   9/6/12 2:55:18PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Chips:
As much as I love Frankie I can't help but feel sorry for Lamas. I doubt he would be much of a challenge for Aldo but he deserved the chance after his win over Hioki.

Post #2   9/6/12 2:57:32PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Lamas more deserving than Edgar. But UFC doesn't care about that.

Post #3   9/6/12 3:27:50PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,911-1,142
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

ill be honest. I could care less about Lamas/Aldo. I'm glad its Edgar fighting him. Much more interest across the board

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Post #4   9/6/12 3:43:32PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,405-840
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

ill be honest. I could care less about Lamas/Aldo. I'm glad its Edgar fighting him. Much more interest across the board

I don't think Frankie should have been granted the shot, but I am excited to watch Edgar vs Aldo.

If I had my way, Frankie would fight Korean Zombie and Lamas would fight Aldo.
Both those fights would be very fun.
In particular, the thought of Edgar vs KZ makes my mouth water.

Post #5   9/6/12 4:44:09PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,395-802
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I guess burying him on the undercard wasn't enough.

Post #6   9/6/12 5:05:23PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I don't think it's an issue when champions drop down and get immediate title shots. Of course I feel bad for Lamas, but I think Edgar has shown that he deserves a shot at Aldo by what he has done at lightweight. I think when a guy defends his belt several times and loses it in a controversial decision, he has pretty much shown that he's still championship material, even if he's changing divisions.

I also think it's not nearly as big of a difference moving between the lighter weight classes as it is moving around weight classes that differ by 20 pounds, because you don't have to alter your body mass as much, and can rely more on cutting water weight.

Post #7   9/6/12 6:17:04PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
I'd say 30 odd rounds of championship fighting warrants a title shot in a lighter weight class.

Post #8   9/6/12 7:21:34PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:

Posted by Aether

I don't think it's an issue when champions drop down and get immediate title shots. Of course I feel bad for Lamas, but I think Edgar has shown that he deserves a shot at Aldo by what he has done at lightweight. I think when a guy defends his belt several times and loses it in a controversial decision, he has pretty much shown that he's still championship material, even if he's changing divisions.

I also think it's not nearly as big of a difference moving between the lighter weight classes as it is moving around weight classes that differ by 20 pounds, because you don't have to alter your body mass as much, and can rely more on cutting water weight.

But I see it is as different competition. There might not be much difference as it's only like 10 lbs, but they're not facing the same fighters.

And it's like he's leapfrogging everyone who's been fighting at 145. Someone's gotta stand up for those guys busting their asses just as much. But get passed over by popularity. Lamas just knocked off the #2 FW. I'm just trying to make this more fair.

Plus, I'm beyond tired of seeing Edgar. That whole LW mess drove me crazy.

Post #9   9/6/12 8:59:12PM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,119-599
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

The whole mentioning that Edgar drops down to 145lbs a million times sums it up.
This is the match that has been talked about since Bendo and Frankie's first fight. And now we get to see it. I'm excited.
You have 2 top 10 P4P guys fighting. What's not to like?

Post #10   9/6/12 9:04:16PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
Lamas probably gets merked while Frankie has a good shot at a pitter patter win

But no Frankie doesn't deserve the title shot whatsoever just because of that

Aldo vs KZ is what everyone really wants

Post #11   9/6/12 9:18:36PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by Aether

But I see it is as different competition. There might not be much difference as it's only like 10 lbs, but they're not facing the same fighters.

And it's like he's leapfrogging everyone who's been fighting at 145. Someone's gotta stand up for those guys busting their asses just as much. But get passed over by popularity. Lamas just knocked off the #2 FW. I'm just trying to make this more fair.

Plus, I'm beyond tired of seeing Edgar. That whole LW mess drove me crazy.

Well I'd say he was fighting in a much deeper division at LW, which is even more reason he should get a title shot IMO. Does anyone see him losing to anyone other than Aldo at this weight? I don't.

Post #12   9/6/12 9:39:59PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 33-43

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,317-851
Chips:
patience young Lamas

your time will come

Post #13   9/6/12 9:43:22PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:
I know, it's a deeper LW class, but for me it's still not the same as actually fighting the guys in FW.

I could see guys beating Edgar. He's not as much of a threat to finish you like Aldo.

Post #14   9/6/12 10:03:31PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,669-1,526
Chips:
There are a couple of guys I'd give the shot over Edgar but by no means am I disappointed about it. This is, at least imo a great fight. One I've wanted to see since Aldo entered the ufc. If I had my way though, it would be Aldo vs. KZ and Edgar vs. Lamas or Koch. Since KZ is injured Lamas should be next in line (wins over Swanson and Hioki) but if I'm speaking honestly, I don't see Lamas fairing too well against Aldo yet. I also scored that last fight for Edgar and I thought it was pretty clear.

Post #15   9/7/12 12:53:42AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2