Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Lyoto Machida and Chris Weidman unlikely to get immediate UFC title shots

Print  
Posted By Message

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:1,052-681
Camp: Playground Mafia
Chips:
LINK

One fighter had been offered a title shot but declined it, and the other has done everything he can think of to get one.

But for those respective fighters, former light-heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida (18-3 MMA, 10-3 UFC) and middleweight Chris Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC), neither is likely to get a shot at the belt in his next fight.

UFC President Dana White, though, is mum about what could be next.

Let's start with the latter, Weidman. The undefeated wrestler steamrolled highly ranked Mark Munoz in July, which moved him to 5-0 in the UFC. Despite a "Knockout of the Night" performance against a fighter many considered the next middleweight title challenger, Weidman got no assurances he'd cut to the front of the line.

And despite a respectful campaign in recent months to get middleweight champion Anderson Silva interested in the fight, the New Yorker still has no assurances.

UFC President Dana White was asked about the possibility of Silva vs. Weidman on Tuesday on FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight."

Post #1   9/5/12 7:19:33PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I'd like Machida to fight Rua or Gustafson. Gustafson probably won't happen though because they won't want to derail an up and comer.

Weidman should fight the winner of Bisping vs Stan (probably Bisping.)

I'm glad to see Weidman waiting. IMO the only reason we were even talking about him getting a title shot is because there was no one else in the division. He's really only had two wins over top guys and only one of those was really impressive. This should give him a chance to build up a more legitimate case as to why he's the #1 contender.

I wouldn't mind that they are making Machida wait except that this looks like punishment for the fact that Machida refused to fight JJ on short notice. I think its sorta a dick move by the UFC.

Post #2   9/5/12 8:57:12PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
Its getting pretty political lately.

Post #3   9/5/12 9:07:20PM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Its getting pretty political lately.

yep

Post #4   9/5/12 10:10:50PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,460-1,306
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Obvious Jones will face hendo next
And Silva face gsp

Post #5   9/5/12 11:24:39PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Part of me hopes Condit beats GSP and destroys this whole plan.

Post #6   9/6/12 1:52:50AM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:833-506
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I'd like Machida to fight Rua or Gustafson. Gustafson probably won't happen though because they won't want to derail an up and comer.

Weidman should fight the winner of Bisping vs Stan (probably Bisping.)

I'm glad to see Weidman waiting. IMO the only reason we were even talking about him getting a title shot is because there was no one else in the division. He's really only had two wins over top guys and only one of those was really impressive. This should give him a chance to build up a more legitimate case as to why he's the #1 contender.

I wouldn't mind that they are making Machida wait except that this looks like punishment for the fact that Machida refused to fight JJ on short notice. I think its sorta a dick move by the UFC.

I somewhat agree that Weidman should beat another top 10 MW before getting a shot, but he has already done more than anyone besides Sonnen, recently, to earn a shot. At least in the top 10 wins department. I wish Weidman would have accepted the challenge from Belfort, but he didn't. Then I hoped he'd take Belfort's spot against Belcher, but Belcher is injured. Now I'm hoping he either fights Boetsch or the winner of Stann/Bisping. Either will give him an opportunity to win his 3rd straight over a top 10 MW. Anderson would rather sit out than fight him because he doesn't consider him worthy, but 3 top 10 wins should be worthy. I understand how beating Boetsch might not do much for him, though. Boetsch has 2 top 10 wins just like Weidman, but Boetsch's wins both left reason to doubt his legitimacy as top 10.

I agree with your feelings on the Machida situation. I didn't feel like beating Bader was enough to earn a title shot, so I'm fine with him having to beat someone else, but this is just Dana going back on his word (WTF is the world coming to) because he announced a fight before either participant agreed to it and now he looks foolish.

Post #7   9/6/12 2:11:38PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Part of me hopes Condit beats GSP and destroys this whole plan.

I like Condit more than GSP but I would like to see the super fight.

Then again if Condit does beat GSP it may help push Silva into facing John 'No Backbones' Jones instead (wishful thinking)

Post #8   9/6/12 2:48:00PM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:833-506
Chips:
As I mentioned in another thread, I won't believe that this fight is going to happen until it is official official and both guys enter the cage. We don't know that GSP is going to be 100% or how he is going to look coming off the knee injury and assuming he beats Condit without any controversy, he's got the winner of Hendricks-Kampmann next. GSP didn't take this fight when he didn't have any new challengers at WW, so I don't expect he'll do it with the Hendricks-Kampmann winner, Nick Diaz after his suspension, and Erick Silva (should he beat Fitch) around the corner. The only challenger I see GSP forgoing is Rory. Unless GSP's time on the sideline has caused him to change his risk-taking policies, I doubt this fight happens at all in 2013, let alone Q1.

Post #9   9/6/12 7:56:02PM