Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Jon Jones was going to pay UFC 151 fighters salaries but chose not to after Twitter trash talk

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:899-599
Camp: the thuggee's
Chips:
jones keeps digging the hole deeper... someone from his inner circle should pull him to the side and tell him to stop talking.

wonder if nike is shitting their pants? i'm sure they didnt sign up for someone to endorce their product that's this disliked

Post #31   9/2/12 9:12:56AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,405-840
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by voodoo-jitsu

jones keeps digging the hole deeper... someone from his inner circle should pull him to the side and tell him to stop talking.

wonder if nike is shitting their pants? i'm sure they didnt sign up for someone to endorce their product that's this disliked

Yeah NIKE needs jones to have as many fans as possible.

I wonder how this will affect Jones fan-base?

I KNOW the hardcore MMA community on the interwebz is growing really sick Jones and his ways, but what about casual fans (the ones who provide UFC with most business)? Will they hear of this, or the many other times Jones ate his own foot?
Will casuals care once they see Jones mangle a few more of best fighters in his division?

Post #32   9/2/12 10:32:31AM   

bootyclause

MMA Regular

Career:1,044-777
Chips:
this issue continues to be idiotic and borderline race related. Jones did nothing wrong.

Post #33   9/2/12 1:22:57PM   

Chieftan1997

MMA Regular

Chieftan1997 Avatar

Career:1,818-982
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Man I have been a big Jones fan from when I saw his first pro fight live but he keeps doing or saying stupid things that are making it extreemly hard for me to like him. This is 1st grade playground crap Bones grow up!!! You guys are mean to me so I'm taking my ball and going home!! Booo Hooo Hoooo!!! Shut up dude and fight when you're supposed too!!!

Post #34   9/2/12 1:42:47PM   

Chieftan1997

MMA Regular

Chieftan1997 Avatar

Chips:
How is this race related booty?!?!?! Give me a break he's acting like a spoiled child and that's why people don't like the guy. If anyone had acted like he has in his position it wouldn't matter what race they are from come on dude that's just stupid!!!

Post #35   9/2/12 1:45:14PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,911-1,142
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by bootyclause

this issue continues to be idiotic and borderline race related. Jones did nothing wrong.

you're the only dude bring up the race card bro, none of us have even touched on it. I'd be saying the same Damn thing if it was a white dude, Mexican, Asian or any other nationality.

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Post #36   9/2/12 2:14:13PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by bootyclause

You really need to explain to me why you think this has anything to do with race.

Not one person on here other than you has mentioned race or given any reason to believe that they think race is a factor.

There are lots of fighters of all different races and nationalities that are popular on this site. I would say that of any group of MMA fans, the members of the PG are the least likely to chant "USA, USA" at an event.

This has every thing to do with Jon's despicable behavior and nothing to do with anything else.

Post #37   9/2/12 2:20:42PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by bootyclause

definitely not race related.

Post #38   9/2/12 4:24:50PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,185-774
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
Not race related

Not sure why that would even be a talking point

Post #39   9/2/12 4:48:57PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I don't have the hatred for Jones that everyone else seems to have; I can understand some of the decisions he made from both perspectives, but man it's almost like he's trying to make everyone hate him on purpose with the things he's saying. There's no way you can say these things and expect anything but bad press.

Post #40   9/2/12 11:34:27PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by voodoo-jitsu

Yeah NIKE needs jones to have as many fans as possible.

I wonder how this will affect Jones fan-base?

I KNOW the hardcore MMA community on the interwebz is growing really sick Jones and his ways, but what about casual fans (the ones who provide UFC with most business)? Will they hear of this, or the many other times Jones ate his own foot?
Will casuals care once they see Jones mangle a few more of best fighters in his division?

I really don't think this will have any impact on the casual fan base. I could be wrong, but I am guessing that they really don't know any of the behind the scenes stuff that goes on leading up to the fights, they just show up to the bar on saturday to watch some dudes knock each other out.

Jon Jones knocks people out in spectacular fashion. The hardcores will still watch because they're going to watch MMA anyway, and they know Jones will put on a show even if they hate him.

-edit-
For instance, I had a casual fan, but relatively knowledgeable and watches most of the main cards, ask me who won the fights yesterday. He didn't even know that the card was cancelled.

Last edited 9/2/12 11:46PM server time by Aether
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #41   9/2/12 11:36:33PM   

Chieftan1997

MMA Regular

Chieftan1997 Avatar

Chips:
Yeah there's no reason to say this has anything to do with race. The king of saying stupid things and most hated fighter in MMA is Bisping who is white. If anyone no matter who they are or where their from and what color their skin did and said all the things Bones has they'd be hated just the same!!!

Post #42   9/4/12 11:29:27AM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Career:684-338
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Wow... this just makes him look worse in my opinion.

I don't believe any of it, but seriously - who is working this guy's PR???

Not all the fighters trashed him, and the trashing they did was pretty minimal, in my opinion. They were obviously upset when the whole thing went down and with Dana backing the anti-Jones sentiment, it makes sense that they'd be venting on Twitter.

If Jones wants to buy some good PR - he should think about donating his purse for the next fight to something like Fund A Fighter or least whatever $ he supposedly was willing to pay out to his fellow UFC fighters when the card got cancelled. That's the only way the old "I was going to *this* until *that* happened" sentiment works in your favour... redirect the funds to a good cause and give more credibility to the point you're trying to make. Otherwise, it's all talk, as far as I'm concerned....

Post #43   9/5/12 12:48:40PM   

backalley101

bARE pALM bOMBS

backalley101 Avatar

Career:2,083-1,267
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:

Posted by bootyclause

Dude I don't like to call people names but You sound like a dumbass

Post #44   9/7/12 2:56:29PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3