Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Stun Gun laments UFC situation for Asian fighters

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

babalu46

In Full Mount

babalu46 Avatar

Career:1,008-629
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Adrenaline

My stance isn't a popular one but I get tired of hearing about fighter pay. I love this sport and respect the fighters but if you are not being paid what you think you are worth, find a new line of work. Sure it sucks that the lower tier guys don't make much compared to the big stars and the UFC makes huge profits but that's the name of the game and they know this starting out. It's a gamble, and a risk they are willing to take for the chance to one day make it big. It's no different than someone starting a band. They start off playing shithole dives and living out of vans barely making enough to get by and 99% of them fail to ever sign a huge record deal but they are willing to assume the risk of being shit poor because one day it could pay off.

Again, I love fighters, I have so much respect for them and it would be awesome to say that anyone willing to train as hard as they do, and then get inside of a cage to fight another human being should make atleast 100k a year but that is not how things work. If that were the case everyone would do it. It takes a special kind of person to start at the bottom with nothing and work thier way up to the top. If they aren't willing or able to deal with that then get a regular 9-5 job.

I work more hours than anyone I know and I don't make jack for it. I could say "hey I work really hard, I should make 100K a year" but I can't because I choose to do what I do and at anytime I can go find a new job. It would certainly suck because I enjoy what I do but at the end of the day your not entitled to make shit loads of money by doing what you love. It either is, or isn't worth it to you.

I like the band comparison and it's certainly taken away some of my sympathy for the fighters but I'm also of the opinion that the UFC is the premier MMA organisation in the world. Surely with that shouldn't there come an extra level of security?

The UFC is the huge record deal in my opinion and the main eventers are the superstars who sell out arenas. I can understand the gripe with having to shell out for you and your teams flights, your fighting and training for them and I think if they book you to fight somewhere they should pay for you to get there.

Post #16   9/3/12 11:29:03PM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by babalu46

I like the band comparison and it's certainly taken away some of my sympathy for the fighters but I'm also of the opinion that the UFC is the premier MMA organisation in the world. Surely with that shouldn't there come an extra level of security?

The UFC is the huge record deal in my opinion and the main eventers are the superstars who sell out arenas. I can understand the gripe with having to shell out for you and your teams flights, your fighting and training for them and I think if they book you to fight somewhere they should pay for you to get there.

No argument from me, the UFC certainly could and probably should help out with travel expenses in a perfect world. Maybe some kind of stipend per trip to help cover the costs but not the entire cost ect. I actually wouldn't surprise me if the UFC already did assist fighters who request it. It benefits the UFC because it assures them that everyone will be on their schedule and i can't imagine that they would just leave a fighter behind because they couldn't afford travel expenses. So yeah its sucks for sure, I'm just saying it comes with the territory.

Post #17   9/3/12 11:40:53PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2