Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Stun Gun laments UFC situation for Asian fighters

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
UG

Stun Gun on fighter pay:
"It's ultimately very hard to be a UFC fighter. If you go to America, there are a lot of fighters who are barely eeking by financially. I see some fighters who have fights a few days away doing personal training. A lot of that has to with the UFC being too stingy about sponsorships. Also because of UFC's policies it is really hard to get sponsors for a lot of fighters."

Stun Gun on fighter UFC win lose policy:
"If you pay off the training camp and your coaches you honestly don't have much left. Ultimately, you only have one maybe two opportunities to make it big. In MMA anyone can lose and when you do lose you go instantly to the back of the line. Look at Rick Story."

Stun Gun on disadvantages for Asian fighters:
"And no matter how "fair" the UFC is, the Asian fighters especially Korean fighters are automatically at a disadvantage. Even right before my fight with Demian my airplane ticket cost after getting discounts, was 1,100 dollars (not to add in me paying for my teammates and coaches to accompany me). And on top of that, it is ludicrously expensive to get ready to train and get a training camp in the US before your fights."

Stun Gun on why he is speaking out:
"I am not saying this out of complaint for myself, because compared to my peers I am doing fine financially, but for other Asian fighters it is completely unfair. Because I am older than my peers and because this is the path my fellow Korean fighters are going to take, I am going to say what has to be said. I really took to heart what Bibiano Fernandes said about why he decided to not join the UFC.

Post #1   8/30/12 4:56:47PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Chips:
I never really thought of travel costs being an issue for foreign guys. Nice to see DHK state his opinion though.

Zuffa should be taking better care of guys when it comes to things like this. Whats an extra 5K for a guy to fly his crew over? To them, a lot.

Post #2   8/30/12 5:00:56PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Good shit, as much as I think Rick Story was a bad example, he has a point. Everyone loses, yet if you get one loss you fall right down the ladder, even if you were just off color that night.

I wonder if the UFC could pay fighters a salary. Say 50-60K a year (I have no Idea what the average wage is in the US atm sorry) and with more fights on your UFC resume -a few grand on top. Anyone being paid on basis of having a big 'name' should be paid in private, and the amounts undisclosed.

I feel for the average fighter, as there are only a few people who seem to get paid well out of many.

Last edited 8/30/12 5:38PM server time by infestructure
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   8/30/12 5:08:46PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It will probably get easier as more events are held in Asia and less travel is required. He makes some fair points, but also talks about things that really don't have to do with Zuffa. Anyone know why he says, "especially Koreans"?

Last edited 8/30/12 5:38PM server time by grappler0000

Post #4   8/30/12 5:35:37PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

It will probably get easier as more events are held in Asia and less travel is required.

Then it's the NA fighters with the issue.

Post #5   8/30/12 5:37:59PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Posted by grappler0000

It will probably get easier as more events are held in Asia and less travel is required.

Then it's the NA fighters with the issue.

Depends who's fighting who. It will be more balanced though, which is what I was alluding to. The option of fighting closer to home will be an option more frequently as the UFC becomes globalized.

Post #6   8/30/12 5:45:16PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The UFC should be talking to airlines about deals for flying fighters around, With the amount of flying they need to do. Most other companies pay for employee flights.

After you pay for airfares for yourself and your corner, there isn't much change from $5000-$10,000

Last edited 8/30/12 5:51PM server time by infestructure

Post #7   8/30/12 5:50:22PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Also puts him and other fighters at a disadvantage having to travel all the way to the US and change timing for a fight.

Then sometimes certain fighters, like the forgein guys have been put on only overseas cards.

Post #8   8/30/12 6:30:22PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
I really don't have much sympathy here. I understand it's difficult, but this is the life of a fighter, especially a foreign one when fighting for a US based company, and it should come as zero surprise to anyone. Fighters in Asia have the option of hooking up with one of the many burgeoning organizations out there, that would be far more lucrative in the short term, but if you trust your skills as a fighter, and know you can excel in the UFC, than you have to balance the risk vs reward of jumping into the big show, where the talent is on par, or better than you from the ground up. The reward though is far better sponsorship opportunities due to your increased exposure, and also the opportunity to fight the right people and gain the spotlight internationally, which inevitably leads to bigger, more lucrative fights.

I don't think it's much cheaper for Australians to fly to America, hell it could be more, but it happens. Europe I'm sure isn't much different either You have to go where the competition is though, and right now, that's America.

Post #9   8/30/12 9:39:19PM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Career:935-862
Chips:
hes not trying to pull a race card but it seems a little unfair to say asains have a disadvantage if you dont like the travel costs fight in asia

the ufc pays more than any other org that alone makes fighting far away worth it in reality it comes out even

i never heard rampage or don fry or ken or anyone else complain about flying to pride events hell if its that bad move to the country you fight in. the nature of the game is you gotta make choices some are harder than others win more fights get more $$$ dont blame the hand that feeds especially if no other hand can hold as much food

Post #10   8/30/12 11:11:04PM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
My stance isn't a popular one but I get tired of hearing about fighter pay. I love this sport and respect the fighters but if you are not being paid what you think you are worth, find a new line of work. Sure it sucks that the lower tier guys don't make much compared to the big stars and the UFC makes huge profits but that's the name of the game and they know this starting out. It's a gamble, and a risk they are willing to take for the chance to one day make it big. It's no different than someone starting a band. They start off playing shithole dives and living out of vans barely making enough to get by and 99% of them fail to ever sign a huge record deal but they are willing to assume the risk of being shit poor because one day it could pay off.

Again, I love fighters, I have so much respect for them and it would be awesome to say that anyone willing to train as hard as they do, and then get inside of a cage to fight another human being should make atleast 100k a year but that is not how things work. If that were the case everyone would do it. It takes a special kind of person to start at the bottom with nothing and work thier way up to the top. If they aren't willing or able to deal with that then get a regular 9-5 job.

I work more hours than anyone I know and I don't make jack for it. I could say "hey I work really hard, I should make 100K a year" but I can't because I choose to do what I do and at anytime I can go find a new job. It would certainly suck because I enjoy what I do but at the end of the day your not entitled to make shit loads of money by doing what you love. It either is, or isn't worth it to you.

Post #11   8/31/12 5:59:21AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,492-882
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
The construction company I worked for paid my travel costs when I drove from place to place.

DHK is employed by the premier organization within his field (UFC) and they can't be bothered to pay for him to travel to fight on their show?

Last edited 8/31/12 9:12AM server time by State_Champ

Post #12   8/31/12 9:12:31AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,311-1,280
Chips:
I have to agree with what Adrenaline says - i like the struggling band/musician comparison. I have many friends that have tried and failed to pursue music as a career. They are now doing something else, they've moved on. In my humble opinion the world would be a better place had they succeeded, but they didn't and that's just how it is.

I object to Stun Gun's use of the word "fair". Just because Korean (or other asian) fighters have more travel expenses does not make it unfair.

Post #13   8/31/12 12:13:02PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

The construction company I worked for paid my travel costs when I drove from place to place.

DHK is employed by the premier organization within his field (UFC) and they can't be bothered to pay for him to travel to fight on their show?

But you're an employee, not an independent contractor. I guarantee that the UFC pays travel expenses for UFC employees. Fighters are different.

Last edited 8/31/12 7:53PM server time by warglory

Post #14   8/31/12 7:52:35PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,492-882
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by State_Champ

But you're an employee, not an independent contractor. I guarantee that the UFC pays travel expenses for UFC employees. Fighters are different.

Post #15   9/2/12 11:31:23PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2