Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC LHW Champ Jon Jones Apologises And Accepts Full Responsibility For UFC 151 Cancellation

Print  
  Page 4 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by Aether

I want to clarify the labour law point, because everyone seems to be taking it literally. It's an analogy. DBernstein made an analogy between his work and Jones' situation, and said that it was Jones' job to do what he was told.

I took that analogy and pointed out that there are limitations to what an employer can actually demand of you, and that that's why athletes sign contracts, to delineate those limitations. The terms are agreed upon when the fighters sign their contracts, meaning that Dana can't actually just tell them to do absolutely anything or let them go for absolutely any reason.

There is probably a clause in there that lets him release people for "inappropriate" or illegal behaviour outside of work, which is why we see people getting cut for rape jokes, drug use, and other similar things.

Whether Jones has done other things that can get him fired is irrelevant to the argument about whether Jones is legally obligated to accept a fight without getting time to train for his opponent.

My point is that no, Dana can't just release fighters whenever he feels like it, they have some amount of protection, that's the purpose of a contract, and demanding that someone accept a fight on 8 days notice does not fall within the reasonable limits of what he can demand of his employees.

Nowhere did I say that employers have no authority to ask you to do some extra work now and then, or that it's impossible for them to fire you without a good reason. I said that there are LIMITS to what they can demand, and they are not allowed to say "do x or you're fired" where X can be absolutely anything. X has clear limitations, is the point, and that what was asked of Jones doesn't fall within that range.

Like I said jones being champion saved his ass. He's already proven himself as being a fighter find really easy to dislike. That coupled with the dui, and the turned down Sonnen fight was PLENTY for him to get fired.

You said it yourself about the escape clause enabling Dana to cut fighters for "inappropriate" behavior. Id say Jones has acted more then "inappropriate" enough. Wouldnt you say?

And that would have nothing to do with turning down a fight, it would have to do with smashing a car into a telephone pole while drunk. There's no way Dana can compel someone to fight a world class fighter without allowing him the time to train for him.

Last edited 8/27/12 4:57PM server time by Aether
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #46   8/27/12 4:56:52PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,266-824
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Posted by george112

Posted by Aether

I want to clarify the labour law point, because everyone seems to be taking it literally. It's an analogy. DBernstein made an analogy between his work and Jones' situation, and said that it was Jones' job to do what he was told.

I took that analogy and pointed out that there are limitations to what an employer can actually demand of you, and that that's why athletes sign contracts, to delineate those limitations. The terms are agreed upon when the fighters sign their contracts, meaning that Dana can't actually just tell them to do absolutely anything or let them go for absolutely any reason.

There is probably a clause in there that lets him release people for "inappropriate" or illegal behaviour outside of work, which is why we see people getting cut for rape jokes, drug use, and other similar things.

Whether Jones has done other things that can get him fired is irrelevant to the argument about whether Jones is legally obligated to accept a fight without getting time to train for his opponent.

My point is that no, Dana can't just release fighters whenever he feels like it, they have some amount of protection, that's the purpose of a contract, and demanding that someone accept a fight on 8 days notice does not fall within the reasonable limits of what he can demand of his employees.

Nowhere did I say that employers have no authority to ask you to do some extra work now and then, or that it's impossible for them to fire you without a good reason. I said that there are LIMITS to what they can demand, and they are not allowed to say "do x or you're fired" where X can be absolutely anything. X has clear limitations, is the point, and that what was asked of Jones doesn't fall within that range.

Like I said jones being champion saved his ass. He's already proven himself as being a fighter find really easy to dislike. That coupled with the dui, and the turned down Sonnen fight was PLENTY for him to get fired.

You said it yourself about the escape clause enabling Dana to cut fighters for "inappropriate" behavior. Id say Jones has acted more then "inappropriate" enough. Wouldnt you say?

And that would have nothing to do with turning down a fight, it would have to do with smashing a car into a telephone pole while drunk. There's no way Dana can compel someone to fight a world class fighter without allowing him the time to train for him.

??? Were talking about Jones being cut. We have been for sometime. I quoted you who had already said something about what the reasons could be that would lead to a cut. And I responded with reasons (that were completely relevant to your post) as to why being champion saved his and reasons as to why it could be justifiable for him to be cut. That being his dui AND turning down the fight. Both offenses are something Dana could easily cut someone over. Hes cut people for much less.

To say that my post had nothing to do with turning down the fight is just plain wrong. It says the actual words "turned down fight" in it

Post #47   8/27/12 9:27:18PM   

Page 4 of 4     1     2     3     4