Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC LHW Champ Jon Jones Apologises And Accepts Full Responsibility For UFC 151 Cancellation

Print  
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

Dberntson

Standup Guy

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,004-584
Camp: TKO
Chips:
Heres the deal, if you are employed by a company every once in a while you have to take jobs/assignments you don't like. Example, my coworker quit. As a esult I have been covering his workload and mine for the last two months. We hired a new guy, but I am still covering the majority of the work. Here were my options: accept the extra work and keep my job or refuse to work late and get fired. The employer makes the rules. If you accept the paycheck, do the job.

Post #16   8/25/12 10:32:41PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by telnights

1. Did the UFC even ask anyone else other than a Sonnen? If so who did they ask and what did they say?
Sure doesn't seam like Zuffa did. If Zuffa did offer the fight to a bunch of real LHWs aren't they just as guilty as Jones by some peoples logic.

2. On what planet is Sonnen deserving of a shot at the LHW belt? Who has he beat at LHW?
If they didn't ask every top 10 LHW in the UFC before asking Sonnen then Zuffa is just making a joke out of the rankings and the hole earning a title shot system. Say the fight did happen and Sonnen was beat down what is he going to do now talk trash about HW champ and get a shot at that belt to or hell why not WW.

3. Why would the UFC cancel a hole event after one fight being canceled?
They feel the under card was so weak that it wasn't worth putting on. The UFC should have made a better under card.

Yeah, I more or less agree with this. I can understand blaming Jones to a certain degree, but surely the UFC has to shoulder at least some of the blame for not having a contingency plan for what is obviously an inevitable situation. The UFC's only backup plans shouldn't be to frantically call people and ask them to fill in or cancel the card. Plan ahead, injuries happen, get ready for them and don't expect your fighters to risk their belts against someone they haven't trained for on a week's notice.

Post #17   8/25/12 10:49:54PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,404-801
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
dont like him using the cross reference. im not religious. just don like the whole "i'm a martyr" thing, no matter the circumstance.

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #18   8/25/12 10:54:37PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Hey kid,

Apology NOT ACCEPTED!

- - - Now, fix me a drink, non-alcoholic

Post #19   8/25/12 10:58:12PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Dberntson

Heres the deal, if you are employed by a company every once in a while you have to take jobs/assignments you don't like. Example, my coworker quit. As a esult I have been covering his workload and mine for the last two months. We hired a new guy, but I am still covering the majority of the work. Here were my options: accept the extra work and keep my job or refuse to work late and get fired. The employer makes the rules. If you accept the paycheck, do the job.

That's not true at all. He doesn't have to take the fight, as evidenced by the fact that he didn't take the fight and still has his job. The employer makes some of the rules, and labour boards and courts make others that the employer has to follow, otherwise any employer could make all kinds of ridiculous demands of their workers and just say "don't like it? fuck off and we won't pay you."

The options are not do whatever your employer tells you or get fired. That's a false assertion that you made and based your argument off of. The parameters of "the job" are outlined clearly from the beginning, that's why they sign contracts. Employers don't get to tell you to do things you didn't agree to do when you accepted the job and fire you when you refuse.

Last edited 8/25/12 10:59PM server time by Aether
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #20   8/25/12 10:58:26PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,939-1,156
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Posted by Dberntson

That's not true at all. He doesn't have to take the fight, as evidenced by the fact that he didn't take the fight and still has his job. The employer makes some of the rules, and labour boards and courts make others that the employer has to follow, otherwise any employer could make all kinds of ridiculous demands of their workers and just say "don't like it? fuck off and we won't pay you."

The options are not do whatever your employer tells you or get fired. That's a false assertion that you made and based your argument off of. The parameters of "the job" are outlined clearly from the beginning, that's why they sign contracts. Employers don't get to tell you to do things you didn't agree to do when you accepted the job and fire you when you refuse.

Dude, my boss can fire me for sneezing in his direction. He can fire me for whatever he wants because he is the owner of the company and not a union. If it was union then yeah, you would be right but since I'm not a union member I can get fired for whatever he wants to fire me for. Truth

Post #21   8/25/12 11:29:16PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Posted by Dberntson

After reading this garble, I'm offering you a FREE Jon Jones Pizza Special - - - loaded with extra CHEESE for ya!

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #22   8/25/12 11:34:49PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Aether

Posted by Dberntson

Dude, my boss can fire me for sneezing in his direction. He can fire me for whatever he wants because he is the owner of the company and not a union. If it was union then yeah, you would be right but since I'm not a union member I can get fired for whatever he wants to fire me for. Truth

It's not truth. There are governmental labour laws that employers have to follow. It doesn't matter if you have a union or not.

It is far easier to be compliant than to complain to a labour board 99% of the time, but the point is that his blanket statement about "do what you're told or get fired" is not true. There are pretty clearly defined limits for what an employer can and can't demand of their employees, especially with regards to safety.

Post #23   8/25/12 11:50:32PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,205-781
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Aether

Posted by Dberntson

Proph is right.

The UFC isn't the NFL NBA or MLB.

How do you think guys get cut so easily. Jones being champion saved his ass. Had he not been champion I feel Dana would have been pretty close to letting him go. But then again if he wasn't champion we wouldn't be arguing about this.

Post #24   8/25/12 11:55:27PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,939-1,156
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Aether

Posted by Dberntson

It's not truth. There are governmental labour laws that employers have to follow. It doesn't matter if you have a union or not.

It is far easier to be compliant than to complain to a labour board 99% of the time, but the point is that his blanket statement about "do what you're told or get fired" is not true. There are pretty clearly defined limits for what an employer can and can't demand of their employees, especially with regards to safety.

you obviously have no idea how things work in Oregon bro. I've had dudes I worked with try and file claims against my current employer and their told they have no case. Sure, he can't tell you to clean the shitter with your tongue or else but if he doesn't like you he has every right to fire you on the spot. That's from the Oregon labor union

Post #25   8/25/12 11:58:14PM   

Dberntson

Standup Guy

Dberntson Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Aether

Posted by Dberntson

That's not true at all. He doesn't have to take the fight, as
evidenced by the fact that he didn't take the fight and still has his job. The employer makes some of the rules, and labour boards and courts make others that the employer has to follow, otherwise any employer could make all kinds of ridiculous demands of their workers and just say "don't like it? fuck off and we won't pay you."

You live in canada, so maybe the labor laws are different, but in the States the majority of the states are employment at will, meaning both the employer and the employee can terminate employment for any reason other than race, religion or sex orientation.

The other explaination is you are either in high school or college and have never had a real job.

Post #26   8/25/12 11:58:49PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,205-781
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Aether

Posted by Dberntson

You are referring to OSHA and its not as definitive and played by the book as you make it out to be. Being part of s union has a lot to do with it. Also unless you know what the grounds of termination are in Jones' UFC contract we can both never be right about this.

You are right. And Prophecy is right.

Yes there are laws. BUT not everyone plays by the rules.

Anyone with a large job history could tell you that

Post #27   8/25/12 11:59:37PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Aether

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Aether

Posted by Dberntson

you obviously have no idea how things work in Oregon bro. I've had dudes I worked with try and file claims against my current employer and their told they have no case. Sure, he can't tell you to clean the shitter with your tongue or else but if he doesn't like you he has every right to fire you on the spot. That's from the Oregon labor union

So your friends had no case, what's your point? Are you trying to say that there aren't governmental labour laws? Like I said, 99% of the time, compliance is the easiest route, this has absolutely no bearing on the fact that there are clearly defined limits to what an employer can demand, which is all that I said. This isn't an arguable point. There are plenty of examples of people who HAVE won wrongful termination cases, the fact that you know some people who didn't have a case doesn't mean anything.

Post #28   8/26/12 12:02:21AM   

Dberntson

Standup Guy

Dberntson Avatar

Chips:
To aether:

You live in canada, so maybe the labor laws are different, but in the States the majority of the states are employment at will, meaning both the employer and the employee can terminate employment for any reason other than race, religion or sex orientation.

The other explaination is you are either in high school or college and have never had a real job.

Post #29   8/26/12 12:04:27AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Aether

Posted by Dberntson

Proph is right.

The UFC isn't the NFL NBA or MLB.

How do you think guys get cut so easily. Jones being champion saved his ass. Had he not been champion I feel Dana would have been pretty close to letting him go. But then again if he wasn't champion we wouldn't be arguing about this.

Because they have something called an "escape clause" in the contracts they sign. Which is why I said:

"The parameters of "the job" are outlined clearly from the beginning, that's why they sign contracts."

Post #30   8/26/12 12:04:32AM   

Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4