Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Anderson Silva Offered to Save UFC 151

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
And as for him not wanting to fight Jones, that does not surprise me. The money made by a superfight would be lost if there was only a week's worth of promotion.

i think you hit the nail on the head. even the ufc would have seen this as a profit loss.

Post #16   8/24/12 12:52:07PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,136-1,243
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Just to play devil's advocate, it's pretty easy to step up and make that offer after the event was scrapped. This could seem like PR move more than anything else just to prove he's a company man. Props to him for offering at all, he didn't have to and it's something we expect out of a true fighting champion. It's nice to see that, I'm just tossing the idea out there due to the timing of it. I'm not saying that's what I think happened. At this point most of the guys on the roster want to make sure the fans and management know that they wouldn't let an event fall apart if the ball was in their court a la Bones.

I see where you're coming from CC. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and think he just heard about it a little late and missed getting ahold of Dana.

Last edited 8/24/12 12:58PM server time by prophecy033
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #17   8/24/12 12:52:26PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,810-1,780
Chips:
This whole thing has gotten ridiculous ...... Sonnen, Weidman, Belfort and Silva....thenMachida turning it down.....Jesus!!

Post #18   8/24/12 12:54:08PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:2,028-1,165
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

This whole thing has gotten ridiculous ...... Sonnen, Weidman, Belfort and Silva....thenMachida turning it down.....Jesus!!

Jamie Varner offered to fight him too

Post #19   8/24/12 1:54:20PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,364-1,587
Chips:
Silva offered to fight AFTER Dana had already announced that 151 was scrapped. Ii am pretty sure Silva would have known that it was too late. I think Silva did this in order to make himself look better. He knew it was too late. I give Silva a thumbs down for this. Nice ruse Anderson.

Post #20   8/24/12 2:52:35PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,618-946
Chips:
Wow....

Some people are a little bit to jaded. Silva was trying to save the card and you guys are giving him shit for it?

Post #21   8/24/12 3:26:21PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,671-1,523
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by cowcatcher

Just to play devil's advocate, it's pretty easy to step up and make that offer after the event was scrapped. This could seem like PR move more than anything else just to prove he's a company man. Props to him for offering at all, he didn't have to and it's something we expect out of a true fighting champion. It's nice to see that, I'm just tossing the idea out there due to the timing of it. I'm not saying that's what I think happened. At this point most of the guys on the roster want to make sure the fans and management know that they wouldn't let an event fall apart if the ball was in their court a la Bones.

I see where you're coming from CC. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and think he just heard about it a little late and missed getting ahold of Dana.

I wasn't necessarily saying that I believe that or anything, just was throwing it out there for debate. There wasn't a lot of time between the card being scrapped and the press conference, so I'm sure the window for Anderson to step up wasn't huge, if it existed at all. I just wanted to point out that it was a possibility, because at this point just about every other fighter in the company wants to make sure they look like they'd take a fight anytime, anywhere.

Post #22   8/24/12 3:32:21PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,810-1,780
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Wow....

Some people are a little bit to jaded. Silva was trying to save the card and you guys are giving him shit for it?

Man this is the biggest fight in MMA!! Jones vs Silva would have never been considered on a short notice, even Dana wouldnt want to lose that publicity. Now tell me what LHW is available and willing to fight Anderson on short notice.....seriously? Machida's denied it altogether, freindships and all. Hendo/Bader are out for a bit. Franklin/Griffin had their shots, so no. Rampage just wants to retire, and he is probably WAY heavy. Glover is too new, no one else is looking good enough for Silva in general. We are hating because it is a hollow pr move.

Post #23   8/25/12 12:59:22PM   

Grimus

Learning to Sprawl

Grimus Avatar

Career:578-353
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by bjj1605

Wow....

Man this is the biggest fight in MMA!! Jones vs Silva would have never been considered on a short notice, even Dana wouldnt want to lose that publicity. Now tell me what LHW is available and willing to fight Anderson on short notice.....seriously? Machida's denied it altogether, freindships and all. Hendo/Bader are out for a bit. Franklin/Griffin had their shots, so no. Rampage just wants to retire, and he is probably WAY heavy. Glover is too new, no one else is looking good enough for Silva in general. We are hating because it is a hollow pr move.

SILVA VS EVANS?????????? anyone? lol

Post #24   8/25/12 2:00:25PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,618-946
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

He was making an offer. It wouldn't have been an ideal fight...obviously....8 days notice and all.

He could have fought Evans, Glover, Gustafson....anyone really. It's not like they couldn't have moved some fights around to keep the card alive. Even guys who are already scheduled. You think the UFC has never pulled guys from one card to fill a slot on another card?

Post #25   8/25/12 2:43:46PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2