Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

CRAZINESS! Lyoto Machida Turns Down Title Shot, Jon Jones To Face Vitor Belfort At UFC 152

Print  
  Page 5 of 6   <<   2     3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Of course Lorenzo's gonna say something like that. He likes fighters who step up and fight at any time. They're good for the company line. I'm sure he understands the idea of a legacy, of a fighter's concern for their long-term career. But he helped build the UFC largely with guys like Liddell who'd fight anyone, anytime.

It's the difference between a fighter, and an athlete who fights for a living.

Bear in mind I don't bear any ill will towards Jon Jones or Greg Jackson for this. They made the call they felt was right at the time, and it'd be difficult to predict the outcome. There's no precedent for this in UFC history, certainly not since I started watching in 2005. It's extremely unfortunate for the other fighters involved, and I hope the UFC brass takes care of 'em. But yes, this plus recent comments from Bones clearly shows his mindset at this point of his career, and that may be something someone can exploit - taking him into the deep waters, if anyone is physically able to.

I'm interested to see what long-term impact this has. Certainly Bones will be the villain at the next fight, and Belfort (who's already a popular guy) will get a ton of support on top of being the underdog people would root for anyway.

Three exciting finishes later, few folks talk about Anderson Silva's tepid performances against Leites and Maia. Would Bones be able to do the same, or does the fact that this happened outside a fight continue to haunt him? Will it be the asterisk in his career?

I'll say this - I haven't had as much of an OH SHIT reaction for MMA news since the UFC bought out Pride.

Last edited 8/24/12 1:41PM server time by isk
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #61   8/24/12 1:39:57PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
For the "Men" that stepped up - - -

Chael Sonnen = real fighter
Vitor Belfort = real fighter
Chris Weidman = real fighter

------------------------------

JJ (kid non-dynamite) = Mixed-marital-artist
(will only fight when the stars and moon are aligned correctly)

Post #62   8/24/12 1:47:08PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,738-1,026
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by MALICE

The sport is changing.

Politics > Pride

Great point.

I hope you're wrong though.

Post #63   8/24/12 1:57:54PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Not like Jones stepped in to face Shogun or anything.

Post #64   8/24/12 2:21:40PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,911-1,142
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Now that he's champ he won't afford someone the same? Pfft

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Post #65   8/24/12 2:24:44PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,911-1,142
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

gotta spread my seed but ill hit you up later

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Post #66   8/24/12 2:26:40PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,151-1,470
Chips:
Jon Jones has more drama than a daytime Soap Opera. It is getting quite old.

Post #67   8/24/12 2:48:24PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
hahaha read an yahoo article that stated this:

"As Jones has gotten more successful in the cage – his 2011 campaign might be the best in the sport's history – his popularity has waned among fans and media. His publicist quit last week, frustrated by Jones' prickly style and inability to deal well with the media."

also in the same article has chuck in it to:

"The fans want to think their favorite, their world champion, is indestructible, and believe he can beat anyone," Liddell said. "From a fan's standpoint, you want to believe your guy would fight anyone at any place at any time. Him saying no to a guy fans perceive as a middleweight isn't going to help his image at all."

Post #68   8/24/12 2:50:02PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

I see what you mean in a sense. But different terms of Jones was a rising contender and Sonnen a MW coming up to LHW. And Jones has at least stepped up oncebefore, so it's not like saying he hasn't done it ever.

Maybe that fight affected Shogun's decision. Knowing he fought Jones as a late change and lost. Then maybe losing twice to Jones would put him out of the mix for a long time. Just guesses.

I don't see it much different than Condit not fighting anyone until GSP is ready. Silva not wanting to fight Weidman.

I just expected a different comment from Lorezno.

I bet the SF Giants are pissed about Melky testing positive, but they aren't going bat shit crazy on him with the media.

What I want to see is the best fights happens and if that means waiting a little longer, then that's fine by me.

Last edited 8/24/12 3:00PM server time by twenty20dollars
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #69   8/24/12 2:58:49PM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:
Still no excuse for not steppin up

Post #70   8/24/12 3:07:46PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,336-780
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

This right here shows the real colors of JBJ, and Jackson, they were ready to stomp on their own for a title shot but they won't give somebody else a chance unless the money is right.

Post #71   8/24/12 3:15:01PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

I don't see it much different than Condit not fighting anyone until GSP is ready. Silva not wanting to fight Weidman.

not the same, ufc asked condit if he wants to wait or fight he said wait so they didn't book him, and andy or weidman have not been booked because of a gsp/anderson possibility. jones was signed to fight on 151 and headline. not to mention he just blasted guys on TRT so this was another way to back up even more of his mouth which has been running a lot lately. not mention hendo was still wanting to fight he said if he could walk to the cage he would fight he was literally forced to not fight, either way jones fucked up hard

Post #72   8/24/12 3:22:57PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

Posted by prophecy033

This right here shows the real colors of JBJ, and Jackson, they were ready to stomp on their own for a title shot but they won't give somebody else a chance unless the money is right.

I already knew that by the money comments he had made before this.

Post #73   8/24/12 3:23:46PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:

Posted by Manak

not the same, ufc asked condit if he wants to wait or fight he said wait so they didn't book him, and andy or weidman have not been booked because of a gsp/anderson possibility. jones was signed to fight on 151 and headline. not to mention he just blasted guys on TRT so this was another way to back up even more of his mouth which has been running a lot lately. not mention hendo was still wanting to fight he said if he could walk to the cage he would fight he was literally forced to not fight, either way jones fucked up hard

I didn't say it was the same. Why should Condit get to wait, though? Just because they gave him the option?

They apparently don't need Condit to fight as bad as Jones, though. Otherwise they would have made Condit fight already. They put Jones on the next card w/o having a set opponent.

Post #74   8/24/12 3:30:19PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Don't forget Anderson Silva. He tried to save the 151 card.

I gave Chael Sonnen his props for the way he's handled this situation. You ought to give the Spider his.

Machida has lost some points with me for this, but it isn't as bad as Jon Jones. I wish he would have taken the fight, but I can at least understand his refusal.

I agree with $20 though that they should just sideline Jones until they have fight that makes sense for him. Also, why the hell would the UFC announce Jones vs Machida II if it wasn't official and Machida hadn't signed on to fight? Dumb on their part.

Belfort vs Jones isn't that interesting. On the one hand, Belfort has fast explosive hands with lots of power. You might think he could catch Jones and put him away. But then you realize that Jones will have a massive reach advantage and that he can always fall back on his wrestling. If JJ ever starts to feel uncomfortable, he will take Belfort down and treat him like a child.

The only chance Belfort has is a one-hitter-quitter.

Post #75   8/24/12 3:40:32PM   

Page 5 of 6   <<   2     3     4     5     6