Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

CRAZINESS! Lyoto Machida Turns Down Title Shot, Jon Jones To Face Vitor Belfort At UFC 152

Print  
  Page 4 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

hymiekooken

MMA Regular

hymiekooken Avatar

Career:162-131
Chips:
Mabye Dana should have called up Ronda Rousey and offered her the Jones fight. She probably would have taken it.

Post #46   8/24/12 10:14:59AM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:
Wow, good for Belfort. Not my first pick. 20 probably made the best point. Let Jones sit until this chaotic roller coaster slows down.

A few years back, fighters did not care about training camps. If an opportunity presented itself, or an opponent was injured at the last minute, someone would fill in and the fight would go on. Much respect to the fighters who still have this attitude.

I can understand wanting a full training camp before a fight. That is a smart move. But all of this, "I was training for a different style," attitude has become a little ridiculous. GSP, Hughes, Liddell, Couture, Franklin, Wanderlei, Henderson, Noguiera, etc. would not turn down a fight for that reason. The sport is changing. Politics > Pride

Post #47   8/24/12 10:40:10AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
this is a cool change. Anderson would have been the best, and the fact that he wants the fight, they should drop Vitor and have Silva fight Jones on whatever date posssible.

is it just me, or does it seem like starting with Chael, that MW's are being chosen as backup fighters over lhw's, that must prove that lhw's want no part of JJ, or the division is cleaned out. what about Glover(lil experience), Gusto , lil nog, hell even Forest Griffin has some wins. I like Vitor as a challenger, but I always said Chael has a speed edge usually coupled with his force of nature pressure and takedowns, he may be able to get inside Jones reach, compared to Vitor who everyone should like as a replacement because of his blitz and lightning fast hands,

although i BET Vitor will get taken down and finished. If Vitor got spectacular take down defense and adapted his bjj to utilize chokes and locks, than he could win. Vitor is not as strong as he was at lhw, and Jones takedowns and throws come efortessly on most, and come from 10 feet away. There is no way Jones will stand with Vitor with the power and speed combined, a combo rampage or others haven't had advantage over JJ with. I doubt he turned down Weidman, but if he turned down chael that could be a good next fight if no one else is available.

Post #48   8/24/12 10:58:09AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

For a fair fight it should be Old Vitor and New Vitor vs Jones

You mean "old mental midget(s)" vs "new mental midget"?

No thanks.

Last edited 8/24/12 11:31AM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #49   8/24/12 11:31:01AM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,662-1,458
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Wont happen, but ill be rooting for a Vitor KO Mad respect.

Post #50   8/24/12 11:32:44AM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
I was thinking this last night... I bet Lyoto was thrilled finding out he gets Jones in 30 days, when he was planning for likely January. The people that are calling Machida and Shogun cowards are just talking out their asses... both guys fought 3 weeks ago and the stakes are very high for these guys, so why not give yourself the best chance the next time you fight Jones? Likely the last chance Machida or Shogun will get.

I'd be interested to know if Gustuvsson and Evans where given a call.... Gus hasn't fought since April and I'm really interested to see that fight.

Post #51   8/24/12 11:43:43AM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:
YES! YES! YES!

Post #52   8/24/12 12:07:22PM   

TheCatFather

Standup Guy

TheCatFather Avatar

Career:2,001-1,351
Camp: BedlamMMA
Chips:
I recall the days when everyone and anyone would stab there own mother at Thanksgiving dinner just to fight on an undercard SMH!!!!!!!!!!

Chael, Silva and Belfor for at least keeping the Gladiator way alive.

Bones Jones may this fight be your last as champ

Post #53   8/24/12 12:08:24PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Dislike that statement from Lorenzo.

"Real fighter"

I'm sorry that your sport has evolved and not just anyone can step in on a moments notice, when we are talking about fighting at the top of your game against the best in the world.

I'm sorry you give guys full training camps for other fights, but not when you really need them to fight.

Post #54   8/24/12 12:27:42PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

"Real fighter"

I'm sorry that your sport has evolved and not just anyone can step in on a moments notice, when we are talking about fighting at the top of your game against the best in the world.

I'm sorry you give guys full training camps for other fights, but not when you really need them to fight.

it being a sport is all the more reason for someone to step in. i wonder when tom brady blow out his knee if his backup was like "uhhh nooo i don't wanna go in bill i haven't had enough reps in practice & these D-line guys are really big so i don't wanna risk it." like MALICE said Politics > Pride, that is how the sport is evolving which isn't good, just ask boxing.

Post #55   8/24/12 12:35:35PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,114-1,232
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

"Real fighter"

When you REALLY need them most likely means there's no time for a full training camp. I applaud the guys that will step up and risk their "status" for a short notice fight. You're gonna gain a lot of respect when you step forward and not backward.

Post #56   8/24/12 12:36:39PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

"Real fighter"

Step away from your computer before you insert both of your feet in your mouth.

Training Camps are for brats roasting marsh mellows along side a fire.....Real "fighters" step up when needed.

Post #57   8/24/12 1:12:04PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

"Real fighter"

Step away from your computer before you insert both of your feet in your mouth.

Training Camps are for brats roasting marsh mellows along side a fire.....Real "fighters" step up when needed.

Then why not call Tim Sylvia.

Last edited 8/24/12 1:17PM server time by twenty20dollars

Post #58   8/24/12 1:14:42PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:

Posted by Manak

"Real fighter"

it being a sport is all the more reason for someone to step in. i wonder when tom brady blow out his knee if his backup was like "uhhh nooo i don't wanna go in bill i haven't had enough reps in practice & these D-line guys are really big so i don't wanna risk it." like MALICE said Politics > Pride, that is how the sport is evolving which isn't good, just ask boxing.

Ah, yes the guy the back up QB that is practicing all week.

I've seen other fighters opinions about it, but they know or have been in the situation rather than Lorenzo.

Post #59   8/24/12 1:21:25PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:
I'm confused as why they put Jones at 152, but didn't have anyone officially set as his opponent.

They needed Jones to fight so badly?

UFC backed themselves into this situation.

Last edited 8/24/12 1:33PM server time by twenty20dollars

Post #60   8/24/12 1:25:14PM   

Page 4 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6