Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

CRAZINESS! Lyoto Machida Turns Down Title Shot, Jon Jones To Face Vitor Belfort At UFC 152

Print  
  Page 3 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,405-840
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
So few people calling Lyoto a coward for turning down the fight, but Jones was painted as a coward all day yesterday for not fighting Chael....

Post #31   8/24/12 8:17:37AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,603-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Reportedly, Lorenzo Fertitta alerted Lance Pugmire of the LA Times Shogun Rua also turned down a fight against Jones for UFC 152.

@lorenzofertitta tells me Shogun Rua also turned down shot at Jones to set up Belfort as Sept. 22 opponent. ... Fertitta says, "Thank god Belfort is from the same generation as LIDDELL, Hughes, etc. REAL fighter!"

link

Posted by State_Champ

So few people calling Lyoto a coward for turning down the fight, but Jones was painted as a coward all day yesterday for not fighting Chael....

I do not think Jones is a coward for turning down late replacements, but there is an obvious difference between a fighter that has no camp set up turning down a fight against somebody that already knows how to beat him and someone who is at least physically prepared.

Post #32   8/24/12 8:26:34AM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:781-480
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

Because they are very different situations. Jones was already scheduled and would have been fighting a guy that has a similar skillset (but less dangerous) to the guy he was already preparing for and the fill-in hadn't been training. Machida was already told he's getting a title shot and he'd be the one taking the fight without a full training camp. Having already been in the cage with Jones, he doesn't benefit from the short notice like he normally would. Also, Machida turning down the fight didn't ultimately kill a card. I don't like that Machida turned it down, but I can certainly see more justification for that decision than Jones' decision to not face an untrained, unprepared Chael.

Post #33   8/24/12 8:32:41AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Right on, Belfort by KO

Post #34   8/24/12 8:37:46AM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:781-480
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Reportedly, Lorenzo Fertitta alerted Lance Pugmire of the LA Times Shogun Rua also turned down a fight against Jones for UFC 152.

@lorenzofertitta tells me Shogun Rua also turned down shot at Jones to set up Belfort as Sept. 22 opponent. ... Fertitta says, "Thank god Belfort is from the same generation as LIDDELL, Hughes, etc. REAL fighter!"

link

Posted by State_Champ

I do not think Jones is a coward for turning down late replacements, but there is an obvious difference between a fighter that has no camp set up turning down a fight against somebody that already knows how to beat him and someone who is at least physically prepared.

Yeah, I had read this as well. And I agree, the situations are quite different. Jones was already in fight-shape and had prepared for a fighter with a similar skillset to the late replacement who would be coming in with little to no training. Machida was not already in camp mode and thus would be at a disadvantage as far as preparation.

Post #35   8/24/12 8:38:12AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,200-1,190
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Still don't understand all the hate for Jones. Like I said in a different thread, he possibly could have fought Chael, without the belt on the line. In no way has Chael earned a title shot against Jones. It sucks the card was scrapped, but it was Hendo that was injured, and Jones chose not to take another fight. He has that right. Sure he didn't win any fans, and pissed the UFC brass off, but oh well. Jon is the one that would have to deal with any potential injuries, and it would be a no win situation for him, except maybe for gaining more respect from a few of his naysayers.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #36   8/24/12 8:44:06AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,185-774
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by kopower

Still don't understand all the hate for Jones. Like I said in a different thread, he possibly could have fought Chael, without the belt on the line. In no way has Chael earned a title shot against Jones. It sucks the card was scrapped, but it was Hendo that was injured, and Jones chose not to take another fight. He has that right. Sure he didn't win any fans, and pissed the UFC brass off, but oh well. Jon is the one that would have to deal with any potential injuries, and it would be a no win situation for him, except maybe for gaining more respect from a few of his naysayers.

The hate stems from the fact that he potentially could have saved the card and gotten everyone payed . Not to mention the impact it had on the fans . I don't know if you read how it effected prozac but hes lucky he got his money back. There has to be atleast some people that weren't so lucky

Post #37   8/24/12 9:01:22AM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,863-1,073
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I don't blame Machida,I mean taking a fight on less than a months notice with Bones Jones isn't something i'd favor either,Factor in gettiing in fight shape plus training and studying the last fight,Not a lot of time for a big fight like that,

Bones is getting well deserved shit for turning down a fight on 8 days notice with a 185 not in fighting shape Sonnen,As well as ruining an entire card for other undercard guys.

So now Jones gets another 185 guy who hasn't fought at 205 in forever,works out like a true Jackson gameplan.........Safe.

Post #38   8/24/12 9:09:20AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,185-774
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by iwannabesedated

I don't blame Machida,I mean taking a fight on less than a months notice with Bones Jones isn't something i'd favor either,Factor in gettiing in fight shape plus training and studying the last fight,Not a lot of time for a big fight like that,

Bones is getting well deserved shit for turning down a fight on 8 days notice with a 185 not in fighting shape Sonnen,As well as ruining an entire card for other undercard guys.

So now Jones gets another 185 guy who hasn't fought at 205 in forever,works out like a true Jackson gameplan.........Safe.

Safe

Post #39   8/24/12 9:16:38AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,200-1,190
Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by kopower

The hate stems from the fact that he potentially could have saved the card and gotten everyone payed . Not to mention the impact it had on the fans . I don't know if you read how it effected prozac but hes lucky he got his money back. There has to be atleast some people that weren't so lucky

I haven't really had the chance to read about the whole situation, but was it reported anywhere that Jon was told about the situation?

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #40   8/24/12 9:20:50AM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Career:684-338
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm not surprised that Machida turned it down. He's a conservative fighter when it comes to prep times and training camps. Plus right now he's out on some farm in Brazil. It would be quite a scramble to rush to be ready for 152.

Not impressed with Jones, and I've been one to defend him before. I kind of lost some respect for him with ducking the fight and cancelling the card. He had a great opportunity here to win over a lot of fans and prove his mettle as a real 'fighter', instead of a businessman that happens to be wearing a belt. The effects of pissing off the organization, Dana, fans, and his fellow fighters just isn't worth it over the long term as far as career viability goes.

As far as fights go, Jon Jones really has an unproven chin. Machida has been the only one to really rock him, so now I'm hoping that Vitor gets into the sweet spot and knocks him out. I wouldn't discount him in this one. With all the press and behind the scenes accusations and dark mood with Dana/fighters/fans, it has to affect Jones' confidence and outlook, especially with the fight now just a few weeks away. And Belfort really has nothing to lose and will be getting the lion's share of support that night. A shake up is definitely possible.

Post #41   8/24/12 9:28:58AM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Career:684-338
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by kopower

I haven't really had the chance to read about the whole situation, but was it reported anywhere that Jon was told about the situation?

Yeah, Dana was quoted in the press conference as saying that Jones knew the card would be cancelled if they couldn't find a way to make the fight happen.

Jackson was later quoted as saying they didn't know.

It makes sense that he would know, however. I'm sure Dana was using this point as leverage to try to push him to accept the fight even up to the last minute. It could be that the Jones camp just thought he was bluffing though.

Post #42   8/24/12 9:35:35AM   

Bythar

MMA Regular

Bythar Avatar

Career:1,690-896
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

1. what happens w/ belcher?

2. can all the people who hated on shogun for turning down the Teixera fight please direct that same anger & hatred towards machida, please?

To be fair, this is completely different. Why would Shogun want to fight Teixera? He has one win in the UFC, versus Kyle Kingsbury. He is a lower ranked guy, and a lose lose for Shogun.

With Machida, this is win win. He gets to fight for the belt (which I can only assume is his ambition), and if he loses, he took it on short notice (if at 151) or semi-short notice (if at 152).

I can completely understand Shogun's call, but am somewhat baffled by Machida. I hope he releases a statement at some point.

Post #43   8/24/12 9:53:47AM   

hymiekooken

MMA Regular

hymiekooken Avatar

Career:162-131
Chips:
This has to be the craziest series of events in the UFC ever. With that being said, I like the Jones Belfort fight. Jones will be bigger, stronger, and a lot younger. But you can never, ever count out the Phenom. If Jonny boy thinks this is a safe fight for him, he is in for a nasty suprise. Vitor, who has been fighting at mw, will have little or no weight cut to worry about. He is older, but he isn't that old yet, and imo has the ability to catch Jones with a brutal ko, especially if Jones starts some of that wacky spinning shit he does. Oh yea, I am 100 percent behind Vitor, make him wish he would have taken the Sonnen fight. Going out on a limb here, but Vitor is and has always been my guy, Jonny boys days as champ are numbered !!!! Belfort by ko !!! Go Vitor !!!

Post #44   8/24/12 9:56:51AM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,559-1,350
Chips:
For a fair fight it should be Old Vitor and New Vitor vs Jones

Post #45   8/24/12 10:00:26AM   

Page 3 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6