Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

CRAZINESS! Lyoto Machida Turns Down Title Shot, Jon Jones To Face Vitor Belfort At UFC 152

Print  
  Page 2 of 6     1     2     3     4     5   >>
Posted By Message

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:

Posted by DrivenDavies15

When was the last time Belfort faught at 205? 2007? Wow and he was preparing for a middleweight fight in October? He should bulk up no problem

I do actually like this fight though just because it's someone new for Jones to fight and Vitor has looked like an animal lately.

I wonder who they'll put against Belcher in Brazil... I hope it's Weidman but that seems unlikely for a Brazil event.

He did like what 195 vs Franklin and 205 or so but not on purpose against Rumble.

Post #16   8/24/12 2:14:52AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,436-1,301
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Pretty sad when u are throwing title shots left and right and still no one wants a shot.
Sad.

Post #17   8/24/12 2:19:34AM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Man, i'm prepping my vocal cords for Sunday/Monday morning.... One of my favorite LHW's of all time is now in to face Jones, while my favorite of all time is out...

I love it, man i'll be loud as hell for Belfort!

Post #18   8/24/12 2:50:44AM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
This day has been bat shit crazy.

I actually love this matchup though. Everyone thought Machida's elusiveness was the key to getting through Jone's freakish reach and back out but what about a guy that just needs to get in? Belfort throws serious heat and still has some of the fastest hands in the sport. I know its easier said than done but I still see huge openings in JJ's standup defense, its a big if, but if Vitor can get inside during an exhange he could really do some damage.

Post #19   8/24/12 3:01:45AM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:522-387
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
Not being sarcastic here at all. I think Belfort should get a trt exemption for this fight so he can pack the weight on and fight like he did back in the swoll days. I'm more excited for this fight than the Machida fight although I'm as shocked as everyone else. I can't see by a getting caught by a crazy front face kick again...or a spinning attack (realize I could eat these words) and he's got a great chin. I'm stoked to see how it pans out.

Post #20   8/24/12 3:11:43AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,542-1,461
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
This really feels more like April 1st, than the end of August. Fuck, I'm just shocked by this whole day.

What in the hell is Lyoto thinking? I don't get that at all, it's a title shot, what other reason are you fighting for at Lyoto's level? I can't wrap my head around it at all.

Anyway, knock Jones out Vitor.

Post #21   8/24/12 3:18:29AM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:
Were they not able to pay Anderson Silva money?

Post #22   8/24/12 3:36:34AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
i could see jones wrestling his way to a UD or stoppage

Post #23   8/24/12 3:59:42AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,511-866
Chips:
1. what happens w/ belcher?

2. can all the people who hated on shogun for turning down the Teixera fight please direct that same anger & hatred towards machida, please?

Post #24   8/24/12 4:27:20AM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

Pretty sad when u are throwing title shots left and right and still no one wants a shot.
Sad.

True, if anyone can get a shot, it makes the worth of the Belt seem less.

I wonder what the repercussions will be for Jones, Dana seems pissed. As are a lot of other people.

Post #25   8/24/12 4:41:45AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,771-1,522
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

What is going on?
This just keeps getting weirder and weirder

WAR BELFORT

I'm glad Vitor stepped up but I honestly cant see him winning this fight Jones is going to run right through him

Post #26   8/24/12 6:02:35AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,419-833
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

1. what happens w/ belcher?

2. can all the people who hated on shogun for turning down the Teixera fight please direct that same anger & hatred towards machida, please?

Every time I logged on yesterday I had a strange revelation, I'm pumped to see Vitor but Vitor hasn't looked that great against stronger fighters who can tie him up and looks very small as a modern LHW. I'll still be rooting for Vitor like I always have but Jones is a difficult match unless he finishes him early, and that would be amazing and totally reignite the division.

Post #27   8/24/12 6:40:29AM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:833-506
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Idk why they would schedule Jones/Machida a month from now. I know Jones has been training, but Machida just came off a fight.

And 152 already had a pretty good main event/co-main event.

Just freaking scrap Jones altogether until you can put in Machida or Shogun for good.

Instead of just tossing guys in randomly for a title shot.

Geez, I think I need a break from all this.

No joke! I mean they did this the first time when they hastily started talking about Jones-Rashad in December before Rashad had even been cleared by doctors. Then Rashad doesn't get cleared to start training in enough time to make the fight and even though the fight was never officially announced, they rush Machida in even though all he was 1-2 in his last 3 with his win coming against a retiring Couture (I know, he should have won the Rampage fight, but still). This makes no sense to me. Let's say Belfort goes in and loses, how does that impact his MW status? With Anderson refusing to fight Wediman and preferring to sit until 2013, Belfort would have gotten the rematch if he would have beaten Belcher. Now that Belcher is without an opponent, and Weidman was willing to fight, I see no reason not to have Weidman take Belfort's spot as Belcher's opponent. The Belcher-Belfort winner was the only MW with a valid claim to be ahead of Weidman in the MW contender picture anyway. This is really stupid planning by the UFC in my opinion, but for the mess it creates at LHW, it provides an opportunity to clear up the picture at MW.

Post #28   8/24/12 7:31:36AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,232-801
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Belfort is still a big name. But I just don't think he's gonna win.

Please oh please belfort. Knock Jones out for me

Post #29   8/24/12 7:39:34AM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:833-506
Chips:

Posted by Manak

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by MMAcca

WOW!!!!!!!!

Just WOW!!!!!!

What a crazy day. I wasn't expecting Belfort at all. Machida must have an injury of some sort, or he's crazy.

Weidman publicly offered to fight Bones also, he seems like he would be nearer the front of the queue than Belfort ?

Maybe Jones turned that fight down too......

Belfort is more marketable at LHW than Weidman being a former champion and all. That's what I'm guessing.

You're probably right there.

I would like to see the UFC do what Twenty20 has just said and wait until they can get Jones a solid opponent and hold him back for another event until it's all sorted.

but then again a lot of ppl are complaining about WW, MW & HW being held up too. UFC needs to get their champs more active, more excitement in title fights

That's true, but this was far from an issue at LHW. This is a hasty and unnecessary move in my opinion. I agree with 20. Props to Belfort for stepping up, but I don't really see the need for this move. I am a little disappointed that Machida turned down the shot, but he did just fight and he'd be taking this fight on 4 weeks notice. Jones has already been in the cage with Machida, so the short notice doesn't really benefit him like it would normally. And I agree with whoever mentioned it earlier... this could be his last title shot for quite a while if he doesn't win.

Post #30   8/24/12 8:04:57AM   

Page 2 of 6     1     2     3     4     5   >>