Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Greg Jackson responds to Dana and the fans:

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,606-1,363
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

While UFC president Dana White was tossing several expletives at MMA trainer Greg Jackson during a special conference call on Thursday, Jackson was doing his best to defend himself on The MMA Show with Mauro Ranallo.
White took issue with Jackson telling UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones to turn down a fight with Chael Sonnen at UFC 151 after Dan Henderson was forced to pull out with a knee injury. Jackson explained his decision process on the radio show.

"I was asked if it was smart to take a fight on three days (due to media obligations and weight cutting) notice, and I didn't think it's smart to do that," Jackson said (thanks to Bloody Elbow for transcribing). "Three days to fight a guy that caliber (of Sonnen) is not a smart thing to do. I'm not trying to ruin the sport or cancel an event. I don't know about that stuff, but I thought it wasn't a wise course of action."

LINK

Post #1   8/23/12 9:27:38PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,606-1,363
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Weight cutting and media obligations? He was already training for a fight on the same day Greg. What a lame excuse. How does going from Hendo to Sonnen affect your weight cut? Sonnen was the no. 2 Middleweight, Hendo was the no. 2 LHW. Sonnen wasn't even in camp and would use the 8 days to cut weight.

Post #2   8/23/12 9:29:09PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,214-788
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
All I got from that was Greg Jackson making lame excuses

Post #3   8/23/12 9:35:00PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Gregs word isn't THE WORD. I can't fault the guy he feels the way he feels. Its well know Greg is a cautious man I can see this as his legit feelings. If he said he wouldn't corner for that fight then I would have an issue.

Post #4   8/23/12 9:46:00PM   

deck15

MMA Regular

Career:481-348
Chips:
The sad thing is they have some of the same skills hendo just has a lot better hands and Jones would only have to stop his takedowns its not like he was going from Hendo to some great kick boxer or bjj world champ. His last 2 camps were for good wrestlers

Post #5   8/23/12 9:47:39PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,171-1,277
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
If I was Jones I'd have taken the fight just so Chael wouldn't have time to smack talk whereas now he's got Chael on his heels till at least 2013.

Post #6   8/23/12 9:59:49PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Greg Jackson didn't cancel the event.

Post #7   8/23/12 9:59:59PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

he sure as hell didn't help it

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #8   8/23/12 10:14:52PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,164
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Jackson told Jones not to.do it which made Jones not take it which lead Dana to cancel. Those 3 all made the situation what it is at the moment

Post #9   8/23/12 10:32:51PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by deck15

The sad thing is they have some of the same skills hendo just has a lot better hands and Jones would only have to stop his takedowns its not like he was going from Hendo to some great kick boxer or bjj world champ. His last 2 camps were for good wrestlers

Dan Henderson hasn't hit many double legs not Sonnen Style anyway.

Post #10   8/23/12 10:32:52PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,214-788
Chips:
Dana canceled the event because Jones didn't take the fight with Sonnen.

Greg gave his opinion and Jones obviously heeded it.

That's all fine and dandy. But the fact remains that the card could have been saved by Jones.

I haven't heard a legitimate excuse yet as to why not to take the fight.

So far the most popular excuses are

1. Sonnen doesn't deserve it.

WHO CARES!!! The fans want to see it!

2. Jones hasn't prepared for Sonnen

Really?? I'm not even going to repeat what everyone has already said about full fight camp and what not

AND that's basically it. If I left out any excuses or reasons please by all means add/correct any

Fighters shouldnt get to choose who they fight . Point blank. The fighters are employees. And they should do what their boss tells them to do or face repercussions.

I WISH I could walk in to work tomorrow and pick and choose what I want to do that day.

You can thank Anderson Silva for this surge in trend imo

And yeah you can go into the whole well its what's best for the fighter blah blah blah but guess what its mixed martial arts. You fight for a living.

These dudes are just so money hungry these days its not even funny. Guys have done the same thing as him on shorter notice and their the guys stepping in! Jones wasn't even the one stepping in!

It's a shame. Pre 2007 this stuff didn't happen.

Post #11   8/23/12 10:36:41PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Bubbles

Jackson told Jones not to.do it which made Jones not take it which lead Dana to cancel. Those 3 all made the situation what it is at the moment

Dana didn't have to cancel it.

Not Greg's job to help Dana. Like Steve Mazz said, "I don't work for Dana."

Post #12   8/23/12 10:38:47PM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Bubbles

Dana didn't have to cancel it.

Not Greg's job to help Dana. Like Steve Mazz said, "I don't work for Dana."

Greg doesn't work for dana, Jones does.

Post #13   8/23/12 10:49:10PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i could see how this excuse would work if it wasnt chael. as good as chael is, he hasn't even made his LHW debut yet, he's coming off a loss, and he would be taking this on an extremely short notice. i just cant justify this decision. on top of all that, if jones is such a great champion, he definitely turned down a chance to prove that by not saving this PPV.

if he really is the most dominate champ, he would have taken this. its not like chael is a KO artist, we all know what chael's game is, and so does jon.

Post #14   8/23/12 10:58:34PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:

Posted by george112

Dana canceled the event because Jones didn't take the fight with Sonnen.

Greg gave his opinion and Jones obviously heeded it.

That's all fine and dandy. But the fact remains that the card could have been saved by Jones.

I haven't heard a legitimate excuse yet as to why not to take the fight.

So far the most popular excuses are

1. Sonnen doesn't deserve it.

WHO CARES!!! The fans want to see it!

2. Jones hasn't prepared for Sonnen

Really?? I'm not even going to repeat what everyone has already said about full fight camp and what not

AND that's basically it. If I left out any excuses or reasons please by all means add/correct any

Fighters shouldnt get to choose who they fight . Point blank. The fighters are employees. And they should do what their boss tells them to do or face repercussions.

I WISH I could walk in to work tomorrow and pick and choose what I want to do that day.

You can thank Anderson Silva for this surge in trend imo

And yeah you can go into the whole well its what's best for the fighter blah blah blah but guess what its mixed martial arts. You fight for a living.

These dudes are just so money hungry these days its not even funny. Guys have done the same thing as him on shorter notice and their the guys stepping in! Jones wasn't even the one stepping in!

It's a shame. Pre 2007 this stuff didn't happen.

Exactly. Like I posted in another thread, name the present and past champions who would turn down a fight which would result in the cancellation of an entire card. I can think of one certain and one possible( due to recent comments).

Jones
Bendo (possibly)

No, Jackson did not cancel the card.
No, Jones did not cancel the card.

But they certainly had the power to save the card and chose not to. Lincoln did not have to free the slaves, but he had the power to do so and did so selflessly. Why? Because it was the right thing to do.

Post #15   8/23/12 11:02:38PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3