Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 151 Cancelled, partial tear to the MCL in Dan Henderson's right knee

Print  
  Page 6 of 6   <<   3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,724-936
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
This is the same sort of stuff that was the downfall of Affliction. Maybe even worse, considering the UFC's vast amount of resources to throw together interesting fights on short notice and load cards up with proper co-main events.

I never thought the UFC would outright cancel a card.

Post #76   8/23/12 7:02:59PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I don't think anyone was super excited for this event and that it's cancellation is devastating.

Come on, we can live without one event as fans.

Sure, it sucks for the other fighters but there's nothing we can do about it. If Dana wanted to save the card, he would have, but he didn't.

Post #77   8/23/12 7:08:40PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I'm not sure what I think about Jones' decision. It would be interesting to know if he actually knew that refusing Chael would mean cancelling the card entirely.

Post #78   8/23/12 8:27:39PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,724-936
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I'm not sure what I think about Jones' decision. It would be interesting to know if he actually knew that refusing Chael would mean cancelling the card entirely.

If he did, I wonder if he would have cared. It is not his responsibility to ensure that the card goes on.

This entire situation's blame can not be placed on the shoulders of a single person.

Post #79   8/23/12 8:29:58PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:778-429
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
wow !!! i know it's short notice but jones should have really taken that fight. Simply, if jones is fighting we still got a card to see...im not mad im just dissapointed

Post #80   8/23/12 8:54:55PM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Post #81   8/23/12 8:57:45PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
There's no way Chael Sonnen a MW was the only fight on 8 days they could've found. And that fight would not have been competitive anyway and Chael does NOT deserve that fight in any way shape or form. Plenty of guys would've taken that on short notice, there is no way none of the LHW contenders actually said no to this and it's not like they have to cancel the whole event anyway, just promote the co-main event as a rematch

Post #82   8/23/12 9:31:19PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Yeah I don't get the hate here, I really don't. I am not a fan of Jones, but the man fought FOUR times in 2011, one of which was a title bout, with the second two being defenses. The man has changed the landscape of the division, and has never questioned any of his opponents before this. Now, all of a sudden he isn't the perfect company man, he gets all the blame for the card being cancelled? It's not his responsibility, champion or not, to make sure an event goes off without a hitch. That's not what he is paid for. People turn down fights all the time. Jones is a professional, and say what you will about Greg Jackson, but the man is the best strategist in the business. Taking a fight on 8 days notice is straight up dangerous for your career, and when you have worked your tail off like Jones, I think having the ability to make a choice is well deserved.

I think we all need to take a breather, and learn to pick our battles with Jones, instead of frying him whenever we get the opportunity.

Post #83   8/23/12 9:33:23PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Whats up with this ish? Injuries is the new normal, and fighters should be expected to fight any replacement fighter. JJ should have taken this fight, since Chael is prolly not a big 205 yet, and is prolly not in shape. I know that its two different styles of wrestler but this should have been an easy knockout bonus, but I wonder why Jones would turn down anyone except a heavyweight, get Nick Diaz to fight jones in a parking lot, that would sell tons.

Post #84   8/23/12 9:36:26PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by Cooler

There's no way Chael Sonnen a MW was the only fight on 8 days they could've found. And that fight would not have been competitive anyway and Chael does NOT deserve that fight in any way shape or form. Plenty of guys would've taken that on short notice, there is no way none of the LHW contenders actually said no to this and it's not like they have to cancel the whole event anyway, just promote the co-main event as a rematch

Machida turned it down. I would guess that Shogun and Gustaffson would have too because it wasn't a full fight camp. Sonnen was down the list of guys Dana called and the first to say yes. I doubt other guys were in shape and ready to cut weight in 8 days

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #85   8/23/12 9:48:05PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,321-858
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Yeah I don't get the hate here, I really don't. I am not a fan of Jones, but the man fought FOUR times in 2011, one of which was a title bout, with the second two being defenses. The man has changed the landscape of the division, and has never questioned any of his opponents before this. Now, all of a sudden he isn't the perfect company man, he gets all the blame for the card being cancelled? It's not his responsibility, champion or not, to make sure an event goes off without a hitch. That's not what he is paid for. People turn down fights all the time. Jones is a professional, and say what you will about Greg Jackson, but the man is the best strategist in the business. Taking a fight on 8 days notice is straight up dangerous for your career, and when you have worked your tail off like Jones, I think having the ability to make a choice is well deserved.

I think we all need to take a breather, and learn to pick our battles with Jones, instead of frying him whenever we get the opportunity.

When you say "we all" does that also include basically the whole stable of 151 fighters AND some strikeforce fighters.

It's not just us. It's EVERYONE

Post #86   8/23/12 9:52:00PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,916-1,505
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
haha

Jon Jones
@jonjones
Art Producer\Outsourcing Manager in the video game industry. I run smArtist, a contract art production agency, and I love what I do. :)

Jon Jones ?@jonjones
@Ryan2608 @MikeStraka Sucks to be me especially right now because I'm the wrong Jon Jones, and I'm getting bombarded with hatred. :P

Jon Jones ?@jonjones
haha! The UFC fighter Jon Jones backed out of a fight and now I'm getting flooded with horrible, cruel insults because people think I'm him.

Jon Jones ?@jonjones
@ADRsMouse In all seriousness, I would take the fight, because I think it would be really funny. Even though I would probably die

Post #87   8/23/12 9:54:24PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Dana just wants to throw all the blame elsewhere so he doesn't have to take any.

You can blast Greg Jackson but Jones has the final say in what he does.

I'm sure it's easy to say Jones should take the fight when no one else is actually in the position that he is in, only him.

Post #88   8/23/12 9:54:38PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,715-978
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

haha

Jon Jones
@jonjones
Art Producer\Outsourcing Manager in the video game industry. I run smArtist, a contract art production agency, and I love what I do. :)

Jon Jones ?@jonjones
@Ryan2608 @MikeStraka Sucks to be me especially right now because I'm the wrong Jon Jones, and I'm getting bombarded with hatred. :P

Jon Jones ?@jonjones
haha! The UFC fighter Jon Jones backed out of a fight and now I'm getting flooded with horrible, cruel insults because people think I'm him.

Jon Jones ?@jonjones
@ADRsMouse In all seriousness, I would take the fight, because I think it would be really funny. Even though I would probably die

Post #89   8/24/12 5:05:28AM   

Page 6 of 6   <<   3     4     5     6