Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC 151 Cancelled, partial tear to the MCL in Dan Henderson's right knee

Print  
  Page 5 of 6   <<   2     3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

Dberntson

Standup Guy

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,010-590
Camp: TKO
Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow

Its a combination of bad timing and Dan Henderson's fault here. What the hell is Dan doing training hard enough one week out that he gets himself taken out of an upcoming title fight? What this is not is the fault of Jon Jones. Its in no way reasonable for a defending champion (or any other serious fighter) to be expected to take an entirely different opponent with only a week to prepare for it. Its nice for the fans when they do, but it is certainly not always the most wise move.

So many people are determined to be pissed off at Jon Jones for any little thing.

And please don't me laugh about Jones being afraid of Sonnen. Chael is absolutely zero threat to him.

Obviously you have never wrestled. People dont understand the risk of grappling. Its pretty easy to sprain an ankle, knee or should from grappling, even moderate grappling. Anytime you have one person pushing/pulling and the other person resisting, there is a chance someone might roll an ankle or pop a knee.

Also, obviously Chael is a threat to him otherwise he wouldnt have turned it down and accepted an easy pay day. Jackson said himself that fighting Chael would be a huge mistake. He didnt say this because he thought Chael was a stepping stone. For once I am actually going to be cheering for Lyota come September 22nd.

Post #61   8/23/12 5:27:38PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by MMA-San

Why can't Dana strip him and book Sonnen vs Machida/Rashad/Shogun for the title?

Make an example Dana, champions don't turn down fights. Anybody is justified in turning down late notice fights except the CHAMPION...it comes with the territory!

Strip him...then strip Silva if he refuses to fight Weidman!

The Weidman thing is completely different. Jones was already signed up to fight on this card. Silva is saying that he'll sign to fight, but not against a nobody with only two wins over top guys.

Besides, the UFC WANTS Silva to fight GSP.

With regards to Jon Jones, I have one word:

INEXCUSABLE

Post #62   8/23/12 5:29:06PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:522-387
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by crushedbacon

I'm not a huge Jones fan. Never have been. But I can't believe how many people are piling on him today.

So the UFC puts together a dog shit card, one SO bad... that losing the title challenger in the main event forces them to cancel the whole show. But Dana says its Jones fault, for not taking a fight against Sonnen 8 days out....

If I'm Jones, I'm not fighting anybody with 8 days notice.... Way too much too lose, going in unprepared for a specific opponent. I'll take the Dana "are you a real fighter" speech all day long. Because according to Dana real fighters don't have the ability to think critically about anything. They should be just be full of "Yes's" and be willing to fight anywhere for any amount....

Jones had the chance to look like a hero had he said "im not a fan of the short notice fight but you know what, I'm gonna do it". He would have looked real good had he accepted. He would have gained more fans and got that respect he says he deserved. Not just that, he was just saying he doesn't wanna retire broke.....well, you step up and take this...BOOM, big pay day. For a guy so concerned with his image you would think he woulda jumped at this. If he's not willing to take the fight on 8 days notice then I'm sorry, he's not as confident as I thought. It's not like he wasn't training for a fight. All he has to do is change a few things and he should be ok. Greg Jackson can plan for anything.....remember.

It's these types of situations that make you a true superstar in fans eyes. You come up big in these situations. You take on all comers whenever, wherever. Thats why people love Liddell and Hendo and now Chael. Their down for whatever.

t,

Definitely valid points. I think that's sort of the downfall of the movement of mma into the mainstream though. It's a lot like football players holding out, the nba lockout, nhl lockout, baseball strike etc... The sport has grown and is attracting incredible athletes now, but the days of guys like Liddell, Franklin, Hendo, even Chael taking any fight at any time are rapidly disappearing. I'm having an incredibly difficult time in this forum because I just posted like 5 different things in a forum about how it's fine for Anderson to not fight Weidman and him earning that right etc... Silva does have the GSP option on the table, and it's not a fight that's booked and that the entire card hinges on, but I'm definitely trying to minimize my hypocrisy. I wish Jones would've taken the fight. I know for a fact that he is going to lose a boat load of fans over this decision, upset a lot of the fighters backstage, and make his boss incredibly angry with him (not that such a thing hasn't ever happened with Dana). I can see the other side though where he didn't see the value in fighting Chael on short notice. It's just a bit surprising to me. As far as stripping Jones of the title that's an overreaction in my opinion, but I did hear Dana say in the interview that if he refused to fight Lyoto he would, "Be holding another press conference today and it wouldn't be good." Then Ariel asked, "What do you mean?" It was actually a pretty funny exchange but Dana was clearly insinuating that he would cut Jones. I doubt that he would but I've been wrong before.

Post #63   8/23/12 5:29:28PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,164
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Also interesting that Jones took his first UFC fight on less than 14 days notice, as well as stepped in on short notice to fight Shogun

good points Shawn

Post #64   8/23/12 5:29:30PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,217-1,243
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

I'd love to hear Jones/Jackson's reasoning for not taking the Sonnen fight - was it that they feel they should only be fighting #1 contenders? Was it simply that they didn't have time to put together a proper game plan?

Last edited 8/23/12 5:31PM server time by scoozna
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #65   8/23/12 5:30:57PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

UFC shouldn't just rely on one fighter to have the card stay.

Make it free, broadcast it on facebook.

When was the last time a main event fight had to be put together on 8 days notice? I can't remember that far back.

Brenneman stepped up the day before to take on Story

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #66   8/23/12 5:31:29PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
don't need to repeat what others have said but agree with what most have said.

but how would jones be unprepared. he had a full camp preparing vs a strong wrestler with a big over hand right who will come forward. chael is a strong wrestler who will come forward who is taking a fight with a one week camp and is going up in weight... not to mention all the talk about money & you turn down a fight with chael who will generate high ppv number that jones can't generate.

you can refund the tickets but what about all the fans that to fly in and hotels. Chael would have been the savior not jones. jones is now even more of a goat. a guy was willing to fight on 9 days notice vs this supposed second coming and the guy who is already signed for this fight card says no??? I have seen fighters say no to taking a fight on short notice since they weren't booked and not training full time but not the guy who is booked saying no after his opponent went down.

Post #67   8/23/12 5:51:00PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Chips:
Okay. I am pissed off big time.
For a fan who was actually going to the event
Not only did I screw myself cause now I can't request anymore days off till Dec. Not only did I beg my boss so I can go. But this is gonna be hell to get all my money back
Talking ticketmaster. Expedia for the hotel. I can't get the flight money back just the credit. Ufc fucked me once again

Jones fault. I am now anti Jones
Ufc fault for a Shit card to make this happen

This caused a lot of problems for me. I should get all my money back. But the needs to give a little bit more for the ticket buyers. Shit I am from cali

There are fans from Canada and England who they screwed over. They need to give us all free one year memberships

I can't tell u how upset I am. U guys got just a ear full. Just wait how bad I am gonna be on the Ufc fight club forums

Post #68   8/23/12 5:55:45PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,164
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

Okay. I am pissed off big time.
For a fan who was actually going to the event
Not only did I screw myself cause now I can't request anymore days off till Dec. Not only did I beg my boss so I can go. But this is gonna be hell to get all my money back
Talking ticketmaster. Expedia for the hotel. I can't get the flight money back just the credit. Ufc fucked me once again

Jones fault. I am now anti Jones
Ufc fault for a Shit card to make this happen

This caused a lot of problems for me. I should get all my money back. But the needs to give a little bit more for the ticket buyers. Shit I am from cali

There are fans from Canada and England who they screwed over. They need to give us all free one year memberships

I can't tell u how upset I am. U guys got just a ear full. Just wait how bad I am gonna be on the Ufc fight club forums

you get 'em prozac

Post #69   8/23/12 6:06:56PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Chips:
Got a full refund on the hotel back.
But ticketmaster I hope Ufc has noticed them about the cancel event

Post #70   8/23/12 6:23:39PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:871-496
Chips:
Blame Silva and Selby for putting together a weak card!!

People want to bash Jones for turning down the fight, but 8 days to study for Shael, probably isn't enough time, not like this is just a normal fight, were talking a title fight. Had this happen a little while ago, and Bones still turned the fight, I could see people being upset, but were talking a week away.

Post #71   8/23/12 6:30:26PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 34-44

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,363-876
Chips:

Post #72   8/23/12 6:35:01PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

Got a full refund on the hotel back.
But ticketmaster I hope Ufc has noticed them about the cancel event

Called ticketmaster. They were already aware of it. Got all my money back.

Now just cost me the rest of the year asking to request a day or vacation off. I can't get that back
Thanks Ufc

Post #73   8/23/12 6:38:30PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
As has been said, I find it unacceptable and unbecoming of a champ to behave as Jon Jones has. Props to Chael, he's a warrior, and he backed up what he said in his tirade with Jones on Twitter. Jones on the other hand was all talk.

On the flipside, some blame has to be put on the UFC for making such a horrible card that completely relied on one fight as the selling point. I feel like they were really trying to rip off the fans by just putting up one blockbuster fight, and a bunch of prelim fights...so maybe they're getting a little taste of their own greed.

Last edited 8/23/12 6:44PM server time by Wolfenstein
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #74   8/23/12 6:43:33PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,424-810
Chips:
i understand why the UFC is against champs fighting in non-title fights, but this would have been a great exception, considering all of the fallout from cancelling the card.

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #75   8/23/12 6:47:48PM   

Page 5 of 6   <<   2     3     4     5     6