Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC 151 Cancelled, partial tear to the MCL in Dan Henderson's right knee

Print  
  Page 4 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:715-434
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Jon Jones now gives me Frank Mir face...

Post #46   8/23/12 4:22:14PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,944-989
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
What a shame

The worst part is the guys who were under the main card, they are not gonna be rescheduled so easily, some if not all are not so rich and this event was literally their pay check for a while.

Post #47   8/23/12 4:22:18PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:

Posted by I-GOT-THIS-PICK

Why did it have to be Sonnen? Are your telling me not one other LHW would step up and fight Jones for the title.I don't think Sonnen deserves a shot at the LHW champ. I would rather see Jon Jones vs Jeremy Horn

From what I understood, Jones wasn't going to fight anybody or maybe he was only offered Sonnen or he was the only one to step up.

But, I would like to think someone else in the LHW would have stepped up. Although, I'd rather see a challenger face Jones with more preparation.

Post #48   8/23/12 4:23:52PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,603-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by infestructure

Jon Jones now gives me Frank Mir face...

Jon Jones now gives me Clint Eastwood face:

Post #49   8/23/12 4:28:28PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,937-1,199
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Jackson/Jones just shot themselves in the foot with a huge dana white bullet

Post #50   8/23/12 4:30:13PM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
Why can't Dana strip him and book Sonnen vs Machida/Rashad/Shogun for the title?

Make an example Dana, champions don't turn down fights. Anybody is justified in turning down late notice fights except the CHAMPION...it comes with the territory!

Strip him...then strip Silva if he refuses to fight Weidman!

Post #51   8/23/12 4:39:07PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
I'm not a huge Jones fan. Never have been. But I can't believe how many people are piling on him today.

So the UFC puts together a dog shit card, one SO bad... that losing the title challenger in the main event forces them to cancel the whole show. But Dana says its Jones fault, for not taking a fight against Sonnen 8 days out....

If I'm Jones, I'm not fighting anybody with 8 days notice.... Way too much too lose, going in unprepared for a specific opponent. I'll take the Dana "are you a real fighter" speech all day long. Because according to Dana real fighters don't have the ability to think critically about anything. They should be just be full of "Yes's" and be willing to fight anywhere for any amount....

Post #52   8/23/12 4:44:04PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,457-1,410
Chips:

Posted by crushedbacon

I'm not a huge Jones fan. Never have been. But I can't believe how many people are piling on him today.

So the UFC puts together a dog shit card, one SO bad... that losing the title challenger in the main event forces them to cancel the whole show. But Dana says its Jones fault, for not taking a fight against Sonnen 8 days out....

If I'm Jones, I'm not fighting anybody with 8 days notice.... Way too much too lose, going in unprepared for a specific opponent. I'll take the Dana "are you a real fighter" speech all day long. Because according to Dana real fighters don't have the ability to think critically about anything. They should be just be full of "Yes's" and be willing to fight anywhere for any amount....

Yeah there's a lot to lose, but what were the chances that Cheal would have won that fight with a one week camp, especially considering Jones just had a full camp. To me there was way more for Jones to gain here as he has been losing fans for months, and this only would have gained the respect of fans and legitimized him as a take on all comers fighter despite the recent comments about not wanting to fight Machida. The only way Jones ever digs himself out of heel status now is to beat a bigger heel, and right now that guy doesn't exist.

Sure, I agree that some blame falls on the UFC for the weak card, but Jones could have stepped up and saved the day, which would have been great in the eyes of the fans, his bosses, and other fighters. Where does this leave him now?

This isn't 100% on him, but he had a 100% chance to save the card.

Post #53   8/23/12 4:53:37PM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,806-887
Chips:
Its a combination of bad timing and Dan Henderson's fault here. What the hell is Dan doing training hard enough one week out that he gets himself taken out of an upcoming title fight? What this is not is the fault of Jon Jones. Its in no way reasonable for a defending champion (or any other serious fighter) to be expected to take an entirely different opponent with only a week to prepare for it. Its nice for the fans when they do, but it is certainly not always the most wise move.

So many people are determined to be pissed off at Jon Jones for any little thing.

And please don't me laugh about Jones being afraid of Sonnen. Chael is absolutely zero threat to him.

Last edited 8/23/12 4:57PM server time by OnyxShadow
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #54   8/23/12 4:56:47PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,559-1,350
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

What a shame

The worst part is the guys who were under the main card, they are not gonna be rescheduled so easily, some if not all are not so rich and this event was literally their pay check for a while.

Very true indeed. They will be scrapping by for sure.

Post #55   8/23/12 4:59:12PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow

Its a combination of bad timing and Dan Henderson's fault here. What the hell is Dan doing training hard enough one week out that he gets himself taken out of an upcoming title fight? What this is not is the fault of Jon Jones. Its in no way reasonable for a defending champion (or any other serious fighter) to be expected to take an entirely different opponent with only a week to prepare for it. Its nice for the fans when they do, but it is certainly not always the most wise move.

So many people are determined to be pissed off at Jon Jones for any little thing.

And please don't me laugh about Jones being afraid of Sonnen. Chael is absolutely zero threat to him.

This is Henderson's fault for a grappling session?

Post #56   8/23/12 5:03:34PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,185-774
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
for hendo

for Jones

Post #57   8/23/12 5:05:21PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,911-1,142
Chips:

Posted by crushedbacon

Jones had the chance to look like a hero had he said "im not a fan of the short notice fight but you know what, I'm gonna do it". He would have looked real good had he accepted. He would have gained more fans and got that respect he says he deserved. Not just that, he was just saying he doesn't wanna retire broke.....well, you step up and take this...BOOM, big pay day. For a guy so concerned with his image you would think he woulda jumped at this. If he's not willing to take the fight on 8 days notice then I'm sorry, he's not as confident as I thought. It's not like he wasn't training for a fight. All he has to do is change a few things and he should be ok. Greg Jackson can plan for anything.....remember.

It's these types of situations that make you a true superstar in fans eyes. You come up big in these situations. You take on all comers whenever, wherever. Thats why people love Liddell and Hendo and now Chael. Their down for whatever.

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Post #58   8/23/12 5:09:47PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,381-784
Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow

if Henderson is at fault.....
his grappling is the reason the fight was cancelled. JJ is the reason the ppv got cancelled.

also, i wish your boy JJ & Jackson had the same confidence against Chael that you do.

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #59   8/23/12 5:21:26PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:
Also interesting that Jones took his first UFC fight on less than 14 days notice, as well as stepped in on short notice to fight Shogun

Post #60   8/23/12 5:23:38PM   

Page 4 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6