Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Anderson Silva: "Not against fighting Weidman, but for now my goal is to fight GSP"

Print  
  Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,220-792
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
It didn't seem like Anderson didn't want to fight chael again because he felt there was a strong possibility he would lose? It seemed that way to me at least.

Get what your saying . And I actually agree with almost everything you've posted.

My problem isn't only the mw division not moving. Because I can agree that weidman could fight another contender. Its just his apparent greed that's getting to me.

Id be all for this superfight if he was doing it for us the fans. But he's not he's doing it for a huge payday.

It's the same problem I have with Jones. Fighters shouldn't be afraid to lose. It's part of the sport and inevitable as we saw with Fedor.

I'm all for the gsp fight however it just seems he's taking the easier road to avoid losing

Post #31   8/23/12 12:01:55AM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:522-387
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Weidman is healthy and wants to fight now. Belfort, Belcher, Bisping, and Sonnen are all tied up with other fights. Boetsch is on the shelf. Those are #2-7 in the MW division. A fight with Lombard makes no sense. Stann has a fight lined up. Only top 10 left is Okami, and do you think Okami deserves to fight a top contender at this point in time? Shields could be interesting, but he is barely a top 15 at MW. There is no one else for Weidman to fight who is highly ranked and where he won't have to wait like 7 months from now.

Best argument for the Weidman case so far. I can't argue with this at all and I'd prop you but I've got to share the wealth. As far as that Henderson fight I can believe he didn't want that fight, but I also know that's at the time where Hendo wanted a bigger payday and wound up moving over to strikeforce. Hard to argue when it came straight from the horses mouth though.

Post #32   8/23/12 12:27:45AM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:522-387
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:

Posted by george112

It didn't seem like Anderson didn't want to fight chael again because he felt there was a strong possibility he would lose? It seemed that way to me at least.

Get what your saying . And I actually agree with almost everything you've posted.

My problem isn't only the mw division not moving. Because I can agree that weidman could fight another contender. Its just his apparent greed that's getting to me.

Id be all for this superfight if he was doing it for us the fans. But he's not he's doing it for a huge payday.

It's the same problem I have with Jones. Fighters shouldn't be afraid to lose. It's part of the sport and inevitable as we saw with Fedor.

I'm all for the gsp fight however it just seems he's taking the easier road to avoid losing

I'm with you on this, I actually thought I mentioned him not wanting the Chael fight, but he took it anyway. You're definitely right though he didn't want that fight. I agree mostly with the idea of these guys getting money greedy but at the same time if you look at guys like Gomi, or Kid Yamamoto they could've been huge stars had they played their cards a little better but instead they both have wound up jumping around. Still though a fighter shouldn't ever look at the sport that's made him his small fortune and turn his back on it. We're in agreement there.

Post #33   8/23/12 12:31:03AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by jlock003

Posted by Bubbles

Weidman is healthy and wants to fight now. Belfort, Belcher, Bisping, and Sonnen are all tied up with other fights. Boetsch is on the shelf. Those are #2-7 in the MW division. A fight with Lombard makes no sense. Stann has a fight lined up. Only top 10 left is Okami, and do you think Okami deserves to fight a top contender at this point in time? Shields could be interesting, but he is barely a top 15 at MW. There is no one else for Weidman to fight who is highly ranked and where he won't have to wait like 7 months from now.

Best argument for the Weidman case so far. I can't argue with this at all and I'd prop you but I've got to share the wealth. As far as that Henderson fight I can believe he didn't want that fight, but I also know that's at the time where Hendo wanted a bigger payday and wound up moving over to strikeforce. Hard to argue when it came straight from the horses mouth though.

if weidman wanted to fight now then why did he turn down the vitor fight?? and the UFC is on record for saying if GSP gets past condit they will try to setup gap/anderson. so it is a waiting game now. its doesn't matter anymore, Joe silva, the guy everyone keeps saying is his job to set matches not fighters. is with dana on this in wanting the gsp/anderson fight. I'm sorry but fighting GSP is way harder then weidman; nothing against weidman but that is just fact. how can ppl say anderson is scared?? so what if he didn't want the 2nd chael fight he still did so you cannot make the argument he is 2-0 vs him & he fought henderson and subbed him. outside of the 1st fight with chael he has ran thru every challenger. plus this fight is said to be at a catch weight so the extra lbs anderson is shedding for this could go against him. fight a guy who has one win over a top guy or fight one guy that is the 2nd greatest champ , only second to you. and what does chris weidman do better than GSP??? the only thing is the size, and GSP aint small.

Post #34   8/23/12 12:48:08AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,523-1,604
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
GSP has a fight with condit, tough but I guess a warm up fight before he gets in the with Silva....that should give Silva plenty of time to beat up on Weidman. Ot's all about the money and the timing.

Post #35   8/23/12 2:21:40AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,500-882
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I actually agree that Anderson shouldn't be picking fights. Personally I would like to see him fight Jones, GSP, and at least one more MW contender before he retires (greedy, I know.)

But the UFC wants GSP/Anderson as much as Anderson does. Do you think Weidman or GSP would get more PPV buys against Silva??? Should be obvious and that's because GSP is CLEARLY a bigger fight.

Also, I don't know where all this talk about "holding up the MW division" is coming from. It's not like MW is bursting at the edges with top contenders. There are some guys who look promising, but there is no CLEAR #1 contender.

Part of the problem with the UFC lately has been that guys are getting title shots too soon. If the UFC wants to get big PPV buys, the need to set up title fights in which the #1 contender has left no doubt about who the #2 guy in the division is.

Here's how I think the whole thing should play out:

1. Anderson fights GSP (assuming he gets past Condit, which is a big assumption.)

2. Weidman fights the winner of Belfort vs Belcher to decide who the true #1 contender is.

3. Anderson fights the winner of Weidman vs Belcher/Belfort to defend his MW title.

4. Assuming Jon Jones gets past Dan Henderson and maybe Machida in that time, they set up Jon Jones vs Anderson Silva (probably only if Anderson won the fight against GSP.)

5. The winner of Bisping vs Stann fights Tim Boetsch to figure out who the next contender at MW is going to be.

If this scenario plays out we will get to see the largest number of big fights. If Anderson fights Weidman after beating GSP and Weidman has beaten Belcher/Belfort, the fight will be much bigger than it is now.

Don't get me wrong. I like Weidman a lot. He shows a lot of promise and he might just be a future champ. But he's basically beaten two top guys at this point. His win over Munoz was extremely impressive, but he won a really close fight against Maia. The only reason we are even talking about him getting a shot is because there is no one else.

Wouldn't you rather have him REALLY earn the shot instead of being given the shot by default??

Post #36   8/23/12 2:31:53AM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by bjj1605

Anderson vs GSP is WAY bigger than Anderson vs Jones.

I will respectfully disagree

And I will respectfully disagree with you. If we are talking about from a hardcore's perspective, Silva/ Jones might be bigger but if you are looking at what the average fan will dish out money for between PPV's and tickets, GSP/Silva can't be beat. Even more so if it's held in either Canada or Brazil. It would shatter PPV and gate records.

Jones might be a p4p fighter but he is not a popular one. People will certainly pay to see someone lose but they will go ape for a super fight between two fan favorites. Silva/Jones would still be a epic fight but pure numbers wise, I think GSP/Silva is still the bigger fight.

Post #37   8/23/12 5:16:02AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,416-1,238
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

But the UFC wants GSP/Anderson as much as Anderson does. Do you think Weidman or GSP would get more PPV buys against Silva???

The UFC doesn't think short-term though. Regardless who it was, if someone were to take out Anderson, he'd get Jones-esque hype and Weidman is so young without major surgeries that he could potentially ride it for a decade plus, where if Anderson retires with the hype then that's just what it is. Going out with the hype, which is not the best outcome from a business perspective.

Post #38   8/23/12 5:28:01AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Also, I don't know where all this talk about "holding up the MW division" is coming from. It's not like MW is bursting at the edges with top contenders. There are some guys who look promising, but there is no CLEAR #1 contender.

yes there is, his name is Chris Weidman. If you don't agree, then who is and why do you rank him above Weidman?

Here's how I think the whole thing should play out:

1. Anderson fights GSP (assuming he gets past Condit, which is a big assumption.)

2. Weidman fights the winner of Belfort vs Belcher to decide who the true #1 contender is.

3. Anderson fights the winner of Weidman vs Belcher/Belfort to defend his MW title.

4. Assuming Jon Jones gets past Dan Henderson and maybe Machida in that time, they set up Jon Jones vs Anderson Silva (probably only if Anderson won the fight against GSP.)

5. The winner of Bisping vs Stann fights Tim Boetsch to figure out who the next contender at MW is going to be.

If this scenario plays out we will get to see the largest number of big fights. If Anderson fights Weidman after beating GSP and Weidman has beaten Belcher/Belfort, the fight will be much bigger than it is now.

Don't get me wrong. I like Weidman a lot. He shows a lot of promise and he might just be a future champ. But he's basically beaten two top guys at this point. His win over Munoz was extremely impressive, but he won a really close fight against Maia. The only reason we are even talking about him getting a shot is because there is no one else.

Wouldn't you rather have him REALLY earn the shot instead of being given the shot by default??

Anderson and Weidman will have to wait until March at the earliest to fight again...and they are both healthy right now. In your scenario, you are assuming that GSP and Belfort/Belcher come out uninjured. How often is that the case with those fighters, especially with the recent injuries they had?

Weidman has beaten 2 top 10 MWs in Maia and Munoz. Aside Boetsch, no other top 10 MW has done that in his most recent wins. I am pretty sure he has earned his shot. That is more than what Belfort, Okami, and Maia did to earn their title shots.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #39   8/23/12 7:49:02AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,500-882
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Adrenaline

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by bjj1605

Anderson vs GSP is WAY bigger than Anderson vs Jones.

I will respectfully disagree

And I will respectfully disagree with you. If we are talking about from a hardcore's perspective, Silva/ Jones might be bigger but if you are looking at what the average fan will dish out money for between PPV's and tickets, GSP/Silva can't be beat. Even more so if it's held in either Canada or Brazil. It would shatter PPV and gate records.

Jones might be a p4p fighter but he is not a popular one. People will certainly pay to see someone lose but they will go ape for a super fight between two fan favorites. Silva/Jones would still be a epic fight but pure numbers wise, I think GSP/Silva is still the bigger fight.

This is exactly what I meant. For hardcore fans, you might make the argument that Jones vs Anderson would be a better fight because it would be more competitive. Personally, I think GSP vs Anderson is competitive as well (GSP has the tailor made style to beat him and he's better at that style than anyone) .But from a PPV and hype perspective, GSP vs Anderson would be bigger. Jones has become a top P4P fighter...but just recently. GSP has been there and done that.

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605

yes there is, his name is Chris Weidman. If you don't agree, then who is and why do you rank him above Weidman?

I don't rank anyone above Weidman. That doesn't mean Weidman has earned it.

He needs at least one more fight to really convince me. At this point he's only had one really impressive performance.

Post #40   8/23/12 9:17:43AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,133-678
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

He needs at least one more fight to really convince me. At this point he's only had one really impressive performance against a top 10 guy.

Fixed.

He looked impressive as **** against Tom Lawlor and Jesse Bongfedlt.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #41   8/23/12 10:01:47AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:
How many fights did Anderson have before he fought for the UFC title?

Post #42   8/23/12 10:19:24AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,133-678
Chips:

Posted by george112

22?

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #43   8/23/12 10:50:55AM   

submissionartist1

KING of the COMPOUND

submissionartist1 Avatar

Career:490-392
Camp: HighKicksRUs
Chips:
Best thing for the division give silva some time off lose the weight right to fight GSP. Also gives time to restructure a decimated weightright class. Give the fighters a chance to weed themselves out. Grow build their story and prove the # contender spot. Tournament?

Post #44   8/23/12 10:58:43AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Posted by george112

22?

Haha obviously not what I meant

I was talking UFC fights of course

Post #45   8/23/12 10:59:46AM   

Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4