Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Anderson Silva: "Not against fighting Weidman, but for now my goal is to fight GSP"

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,646-1,392
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Translated from Portuguese...

Spider: 'I'm in a comfort zone. I can afford to say no '

Anderson Silva has received much criticism for refusing to face the American Chris Weidman, a leading candidate today to compete in the middleweight belt. During the launch of the second edition of his biography "The story of a champion in the ring and in life", in Sao Paulo, the Brazilian was justified in saying that it is a position that gives him the right to deny any fight and confirmed that only around in 2013. For him, Weidman still need to do more fighting and would be much more interesting to look at the Canadian Georges St-Pierre, the welterweight champion.

"Yes I got (the invitation to address Weidman), but I have other projects for the coming months and do not intend to fight back now. There is lack of humility on my part. I'm in a comfort zone, I can afford to not speak. The Weidman is a boy, has his talent and is building a story in the UFC. At no point did I put myself against the possibility of fighting him. But I think a fight against Georges St-Pierre would be much better, because he is a great champion and the fight would have much more content to people. The Weidman has a long career ahead of him still. I have my story, and would be much more advantageous for my fans and for fans of GSP if we we faced." - told SPORTV.COM .

LINK

Post #1   8/22/12 4:25:25PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:730-442
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I don't agree with any fighters picking and choosing match-ups - that's Joe Silva's job.
But I would much rather see Silva/StPierre than Silva/Weidman. Honestly, Silva has done enough in this division imo. I'd rather see him go up in weight than down though, Silva/Jones after Silva/StPierre?
How many fights has Anderson got left on his contract?

Post #2   8/22/12 4:43:07PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Recently Anderson's and his management's opinions I think have been less of champions and more of business mans.
Why turn down a fight with contender at his weight to fight the champion from the weight below? It's not boxing with only a few Lb between classes its a huge amount of size and strength to overcome.

He's already proven he can move up to LHW and still be one of the bigger guys so I'm basically looking at this fight as a LHW vs a WW and that does not interest me.
GSP is a true champion and has never picked his opponents and he's never backed down from a fight.

I honestly think Anderson is starting to think he could lose to one of the stronger new wrestlers breaking through at MW. He didn't want the second Sonnen fight to begin with, he's openly said he doesn't want to fight Weidman and him/his management have brushed off the idea of fighting Rashad at 185 or 205.

He only seams interested in fights where the odds are stacked in his favour now.

Then again this could just all be me. . . I still haven't forgiven him for illegal knee

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #3   8/22/12 5:02:27PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I really think there should be some kind of clause in fighters' contracts where if they win the belt they are no longer allowed to refuse contenders.

It's pretty laughable that he says he isn't interested in GSP for years and decides to call the guy out when he hasn't fought in like a year and a half as a result of injuries, and there's a legit contender in his own division who just demolished another top contender and made it look easy.

Post #4   8/22/12 5:04:17PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
I like to think GSP would man handle Silva, but hes so small in comparison.

I do he has a better chance to beat him than Sonnen did or Weidman

Post #5   8/22/12 5:05:10PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,984-1,177
Chips:
This fight, imo, has lost a lot of luster. The new superfight is Jones/Silva. I don't remember Silva wanting the GSP fight when it first got brought up but now that we're asking for a Bones/Spider fight he wants to fight the guy that's smaller, coming off a major injury.

Post #6   8/22/12 5:36:32PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,023-594
Chips:
Holy %^&ing

Post #7   8/22/12 5:45:37PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
So fickle. Years of crying for this fight, now it's not good enough. Smh.

Post #8   8/22/12 5:50:44PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,246-1,208
Chips:
I don't mind Silva wanting to fight GSP. He's toward the end of his career, so why not have a super fight. Sure Silva will be the bigger man, but GSP has the tools to beat Silva. If they could agree upon a catchweight around 180, I'd be happy with that. First off though, GSP has to deal with his comeback, and beat Condit.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #9   8/22/12 6:12:49PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I really think there should be some kind of clause in fighters' contracts where if they win the belt they are no longer allowed to refuse contenders.

It's pretty laughable that he says he isn't interested in GSP for years and decides to call the guy out when he hasn't fought in like a year and a half as a result of injuries, and there's a legit contender in his own division who just demolished another top contender and made it look easy.

I would prop you so hard if I could. . .

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #10   8/22/12 7:02:17PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,984-1,177
Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Sorry that my interests changed man but it has. Would I watch a superfight between the 2? Fuck yes. Is Silva/Jones more interesting to me? Fuck yes. You can blame the UFC, Silva and GSP for that interest going down. Like you said, its been YEARS since this first got brought up. Might as well blame Jones too for being so Damn good that he made me want a showdown with him and Anderson so bad that it eclipsed my interest in GSP/Silva. Yes I want a superfight between Anderson and one of the two but I'm more interested in Jones/Silva and I don't feel a Damn bit guilty for saying it

Post #11   8/22/12 7:06:52PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:522-387
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
Of course he gets to pick who he fights by this point in his career. He's 15-0 in the UFC with 13 finishes against number 1 contenders. He's cleaned out the division, Weidman looked great against Munoz but he hadn't even been thought of as a front runner before that fight. I know he took the Maia fight on short notice and had a brutal weight cut and that played a huge part in him being sluggish but nonetheless after that fight nobody was even thinking about him fighting for the title. Anderson has a valid point. Weidman needs a win over a Belfort, a Franklin, a Bisping, a Belcher, a Boetsch before he should get his shot at Silva. What is the benefit to Silva of taking this fight right now if he can have a fight with GSP? What's the benefit if he can have a fight with Bisping? Take away the brutal KO from Hendo (fighting Jones for the title) and Bisping is clearly the #1 contender. A split decision loss to Rashad at 205, and two very close decisions against Wanderlei and the last title contender. It's insane to be upset with Anderson for not wanting to fight Weidman when Weidman is doing everything he can to not have to fight anyone unless he gets to fight the champ. I don't blame Weidman at all. He had an incredible fight against a top 3 guy in the division and he wants to ride that momentum but it's illogical to jump on the Weidman train and not call a spade a spade. Silva has done incredible things for his division and for the sport and he's put him self in a position to negotiate who and when he gets to fight next. He's not going to be a Couture or a Henderson and fight up into his 40's. The guy is 37 years old, widely recognized as the best fighter ever to fight up to this date and time, and has fought everybody he's ever been asked to fight up until now. No he didn't want the second Sonnen fight, but guess what...he took it and he caved Chael's chest in! Who else has he not wanted to fight? Who has he ducked? All I'm saying is don't chastise the guy who's earned the right to not fight an up and comer and yet condone the up and comer doing the same thing.

Post #12   8/22/12 7:08:40PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Pardon me, the next UFC LHW Champ is coming through....

Hey Chris, a couple of pointers.....you are too nice, let me throw out some free advice.

If you want your title shot, you have to

A) Insult his country and/or
B) Insult his lovely wife.

Example(s)

1) You could say that Brazil invented mud.....or
2) Anderson takes a shower everyday in Vaseline or
3) Brazilian fighters grab the cage illegally more than they grab for a tooth brush

You get the picture

Lose the nice guy image, channel your inner Jersey Tony Soprano

Last edited 8/22/12 8:35PM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   8/22/12 8:22:40PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Nothing fickle about it. Things change. GSP has been injured for over a year, of course this fight doesn't look good right now.

Post #14   8/22/12 8:28:15PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,512-891
Chips:
Anderson vs GSP is WAY bigger than Anderson vs Weidman OR Anderson vs Jones.

Weidman is still building a name for himself. He's looked impressive, but in the grand scheme of things he's not even on the level of the other three guys we're talking about.

Jones has just become a superstar.

GSP has been holding down his division for a long time.

GSP and Anderson are the top two P4P fighter on the planet. How can anyone not want to see that fight?

Also....

At anyone suggesting that Anderson Silva is scared of Weidman. GSP is a way more dangerous opponent.

If I turned down a fight against Alexander Gustafson in favor of a fight with Jon Jones, would you conclude that I was scared of Gustafson?? lol

Post #15   8/22/12 8:59:35PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4