Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

After turning down Belfort fight, Weidman to UFC champ Silva: 'Give me a chance'

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,603-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The top middleweight contender is awaiting word on a possible showdown with UFC champion Anderson Silva, who doesn't seem all that interested in the fight.

But after turning down other matchups, including one with Vitor Belfort (21-9 MMA, 10-5 UFC), Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) said it's time for the champ to give him the type of opportunity that Silva (32-4 MMA, 15-0 UFC) also got early in his career.

Weidman is 5-0 since joining the UFC and 9-0 since turning pro in early 2009. Most recently, he made short work of fellow contender Mark Munoz and posted a vicious first-round knockout in the headliner of UFC on FUEL TV 4 this past month.

"Just give me a chance, man," Weidman said on Tuesday's "UFC Tonight" on Fuel TV. "Obviously, I believe I'm going to beat you, so it's a tough one for me to try to tell you to do. But you had one fight when you got the chance, and you were able to make the best of it.

"I didn't take a couple fights right after (the Munoz fight). Guys were challenging me like Belfort, and I didn't take them because the UFC didn't want me to take them too. They wanted me to wait for the Anderson Silva fight. But now it's up in the air. I don't know what's going on."

link

Post #1   8/22/12 2:39:31PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,911-1,142
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I coulda sworn Joel Silva was the match maker, not Anderson. If you're the Champ you fight the #1 contender and if the brass sees Weidman as the #1 contender that's who he should fight

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Post #2   8/22/12 2:47:36PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,185-774
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
Id like to hear Andersons response.

Then I will speak a little more on the subject

Post #3   8/22/12 2:55:13PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,603-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

I coulda sworn Joel Silva was the match maker, not Anderson. If you're the Champ you fight the #1 contender and if the brass sees Weidman as the #1 contender that's who he should fight

Agreed. (Although I have to spread the love.)

The one thing that probably changed Joe Silva's mind is the idea of the superfight. St. Pierre and Silva have both been pretty vocal that the time would be right, should Georges get through Condit, and Dana White seems to be promoting it lately.

Somebody was going to have to wait. It is unfortunate that it was one of the few fighters during Silva's reign that seems capable of pulling off the upset though.

Post #4   8/22/12 3:07:00PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,669-1,526
Chips:
I'd much rather see GSP/Condit vs. Hendricks/Kampmann and Silva vs. Weidman opposed to GSP/Condit vs. Silva.

Post #5   8/22/12 3:17:46PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

But Weidman can turn down a Belfort fight? Has the brass came out and said hes the #1 contender?

Post #6   8/22/12 4:01:13PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:715-434
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Posted by prophecy033

Agreed. (Although I have to spread the love.)

The one thing that probably changed Joe Silva's mind is the idea of the superfight. St. Pierre and Silva have both been pretty vocal that the time would be right, should Georges get through Condit, and Dana White seems to be promoting it lately.

Somebody was going to have to wait. It is unfortunate that it was one of the few fighters during Silva's reign that seems capable of pulling off the upset though.

on all counts. I feel bad for Weidman, but i'm happy I get to see a superfight

Post #7   8/22/12 4:47:20PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,911-1,142
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by prophecy033

But Weidman can turn down a Belfort fight? Has the brass came out and said hes the #1 contender?

I don't think the employee should be able call the shots, Champ or not. And about the #1 contender talk, I have no clue who they think is the top contender, that's why I said "if" and not "since"

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Post #8   8/22/12 5:04:41PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
it sounds like Silva wants nothing to do with athletic wrestlers in his own division after Sonnen (even though he won both fights)

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #9   8/22/12 5:17:57PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I understand why Silva (GOAT) wouldn't want to fight Weidman (relative unknown).

GSP is a much bigger fight in terms of compensation and in terms of legacy.

Post #10   8/22/12 8:54:42PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I understand why Silva (GOAT) wouldn't want to fight Weidman (relative unknown).

I agree about the compensation. Not so much about legacy.

If anything it hurts it. A fighter who is big enough to fight lhw fighting a ww?? If he wins people will say "well what did you expect?"

He needs to fight weidman. He needs to challenge himself he needs to prove he's not scared . He needs to prove he's not ducking

He needs to prove these things because he's the champ

Post #11   8/22/12 9:01:00PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Anderson just fight Chris already and get it over with.

You fighting GSP coming off a loooong layoff plus being significantly smaller is NOT going to help your "legacy" (whatever that means).

Post #12   8/22/12 10:18:42PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:625-338
Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by bjj1605

If anything it hurts it. A fighter who is big enough to fight lhw fighting a ww?? If he wins people will say "well what did you expect?"

He needs to fight weidman. He needs to challenge himself he needs to prove he's not scared . He needs to prove he's not ducking

Anderson silva needs to prove nothing, if there is a chance that they can make gsp vs silva then they will try to make it... there is ALWAYS going to be that next big contender (not discounting weidman at all) but if gsp vs silva is possible it would surley be the biggest fight in ppv history.

In no way is gsp a easy fight for anyone.

Post #13   8/22/12 10:19:01PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by george112

Posted by bjj1605

Anderson silva needs to prove nothing, if there is a chance that they can make gsp vs silva then they will try to make it... there is ALWAYS going to be that next big contender (not discounting weidman at all) but if gsp vs silva is possible it would surley be the biggest fight in ppv history.

In no way is gsp a easy fight for anyone.

No. Just no.

Vacate the title then.

Why do the contenders have to wait for Anderson to fight superfights?? Just cause its a big pay day?? Nah that's bull. If he wants to be champ of the mw division then he needs to be champ of the division.period. he shouldn't be getting special superfights just because he's on a streak.

Like I said vacate the title then go for the big payday superfights.

Post #14   8/22/12 10:43:03PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:625-338
Chips:
if gsp fought silva it would be for the title

Post #15   8/22/12 11:25:05PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2