Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Jon Jones on MMA and Money: 'I Refuse to Be a Broke Athlete When I Retire'

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones fights to fuel his competitive fire and be the best athlete he possibly can be.

But he also wants to get paid, telling reporters on Tuesday, "I refuse to be a broke athlete when I retire."

On Tuesday, Jones went in depth about his motivations for the comment.

"I want to focus on Dan Henderson at this point, and not worry about Lyoto Machida, but when it comes to a pay-per-view conversation in general, I fight for honor and integrity and I fight to be the best. I try to keep martial arts experience in mind as much as possible."

"At same time, I'm a 2012 warrior and I fight to provide for my family. This is a sport where we don't have a retirement plan and we don't have insurance for the rest of our lives, so the money that I make today is the money that's around for when I'm 80 years old and if I ever get sick, or, I have to pay for several colleges already because I have a lot of kids."

The nike-endorsed Jones understands that a portion of MMA's hardcore fan base has a mentality that the sport should be entirely about the honor of fighting, and that making big money is akin to selling out. But he said the fans just simply need to understand that fighters need to consider their future, as well.

"Right now, I'm on this call with you reporters because you want to write the best story so you can make money. Well you know, I fight to make money, quite frankly. So, if I was to not be involved with my time, and be completely ignorant to my finances, and pay-per-view sales, and taxes, and investing, you know, it would be a shame. I refuse to be a broke athlete when I retire. So, I don't apologize for being aware of pay-per-view sales, and being business savvy."

link

Post #1   8/21/12 4:46:43PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,583-1,357
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Machida/Jones buy rate was at 485,000..Rua/Jones was at 490,000. Not a huge difference there Jon

Post #2   8/21/12 4:51:25PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,939-1,156
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'd venture to say Jones v Machida 2 will sell better than the 1st. The rest of the card also has something to do with it

Post #3   8/21/12 5:18:32PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
Dear Jon Jones,

Stop being a complete douche and you will get more sponsorships and be well compensated. Don't piss away your money like Terrell Owens and you will be fine. Stop buying Bentleys and other overly expensive shit (and then crash it and get a DUI) and you will be fine. Go see an investment counselor and you will be fine. You are 25 years old and have at least 10 years more in this sport, most of which will be as a headliner and/or champion as well as being one of the faces of the UFC...there is a shit ton of money for you to be made. What you make in one fight is already more than what most of us make in a year...and that also covers medical bills that most people have to pay out of their own pocket, so don't expect us to sympathize with you. What you made in your last fight more than covers all expenses your 2 daughters will need for their post secondary education. Stop being a little whiny bitch and do your job. Ask Georges how to properly carry yourself. Both you and he entered the UFC around the same age, except he is respectful and knows how to be professional. Learn from him and see if you can figure out how and why he makes a ton of money per fight.

Sincerely,
Bubbles

P.S. I really hope you get KTFO at UFC 151

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #4   8/21/12 5:51:54PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Then don't spend your money like immature athlete's Jones.

Post #5   8/21/12 6:02:15PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Dear Jon Jones,

Stop being a complete douche and you will get more sponsorships and be well compensated. Don't piss away your money like Terrell Owens and you will be fine. Stop buying Bentleys and other overly expensive shit (and then crash it and get a DUI) and you will be fine. Go see an investment counselor and you will be fine. You are 25 years old and have at least 10 years more in this sport, most of which will be as a headliner and/or champion as well as being one of the faces of the UFC...there is a shit ton of money for you to be made. What you make in one fight is already more than what most of us make in a year...and that also covers medical bills that most people have to pay out of their own pocket, so don't expect us to sympathize with you. What you made in your last fight more than covers all expenses your 2 daughters will need for their post secondary education. Stop being a little whiny bitch and do your job. Ask Georges how to properly carry yourself. Both you and he entered the UFC around the same age, except he is respectful and knows how to be professional. Learn from him and see if you can figure out how and why he makes a ton of money per fight.

Sincerely,
Bubbles

this times a billion, can't prop gotta spread. dude makes will in the millions every yr. i have no sympathy for idiot athletes. you will make more money in a few yrs than the avg house hold income makes that works their entire life. maybe you should educate your self in money management. fuck i hate spoiled ass athletes. I'm all for the money too but shit man, you make millions of dollars and live a life ppl dream of.

Post #6   8/21/12 6:14:34PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:722-438
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Dear Jon Jones,

Sincerely,
Bubbles

Hell yeah! I'd love to see Jones face if he ever read that

Post #7   8/21/12 6:36:52PM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:924-612
Camp: the thuggee's
Chips:
jones would be better off doing what andie does, pretend not to speak english

Last edited 8/21/12 6:49PM server time by voodoo-jitsu
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   8/21/12 6:47:42PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,426-871
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
So Jon doesn't want to be a broke athlete when he retires? Well between the DUI arrest and the two kids out of wedlock, I'd say he's following well in the footsteps of the broke athlete right now. Better right that ship, Jonny.

Post #9   8/21/12 7:07:16PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,162-1,476
Chips:
Jones doesn't want to be broke when he retires? Maybe he should be buying $500,000 Bentleys then.

Post #10   8/21/12 7:14:51PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Talk like this makes me want to not purchase Jon Jones PPV's anymore. One day it will be your attitude Mr Jon Jones that makes your buy rate drop.

Post #11   8/21/12 7:43:33PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Jones doesn't want to be broke when he retires? Maybe he should be buying $500,000 Bentleys then.

agreed. this has got to be the most valid point so far. if you want your millions to last, than dont fuckin spend them! fighting to be the best fighter in the world has gotten him this far, just take a look at GSP. georges has got to be the most wealthy MMA fighter out there and thats because he has shit loads of fans that buy his fights and a shit load of wins. why is jones even bringing up this stupid subject.

Post #12   8/21/12 7:49:21PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:484-292
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

I'd venture to say Jones v Machida 2 will sell better than the 1st. The rest of the card also has something to do with it

Not to be a dick but honestly UFC 140 was a great card with plenty of names,
Jones/Machida/Big Nog/Mir/Lil Nog/ Ortiz/Chan Sung Jung

UFC 128 had
Jones/Shogun/Faber/Cro Cop

Post #13   8/21/12 8:00:45PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:640-344
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Dear Jon Jones,

Sincerely,
Bubbles

leave britney alone !!!!

Post #14   8/21/12 9:07:40PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,939-1,156
Chips:

Posted by frizzzlecake

Posted by prophecy033

Not to be a dick but honestly UFC 140 was a great card with plenty of names,
Jones/Machida/Big Nog/Mir/Lil Nog/ Ortiz/Chan Sung Jung

UFC 128 had
Jones/Shogun/Faber/Cro Cop

you're not sounding like a dick bro but I also never said the rest of the card was bad either. I was just saying that other names bring in more ppv buys meaning that if you make a good, interesting card its gonna bring up the numbers while Jones just thinks its him and Machida that bring in the numbers

Last edited 8/21/12 10:01PM server time by prophecy033
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   8/21/12 10:00:09PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2