Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Tipping or No Tipping?

Print  
  Page 4 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

They might have a lot of tables, but not as hard as work as the cooks. They work to put out good food with regular pay. Also some of their tips are sometimes based on whether the food is good or not.

I used to work in a pizza place as a cook and it could be busy, but we still get the same pay and the servers walk out making more money, yet we're doing the harder work. They are suppose to tip out to the cooks, but would tip out a dollar when they made $100 that night unless the manager watched them.

I'm not a big fan of the system. But I also try not to eat out. Not saying I don't tip, though. I'd rather not, at some places I think servers just expect to be tipped regardless good or bad.

I've done everything in restaurants from dish washer to owner. Aside from a GM working expo, wait staff work harder than anyone else in the business. You make an order as a cook and it's off your mind, but they have to deal with that person for a long time after the order is out.

As for getting paid the same if its busy or not, thats true of absolutely every job on Earth.

As for tipping out the cooks, I've never in my life heard of such a thing and it's completely ridiculous. Waitstaff routinely get screwed on tips for things they had literally no control over, such as how long the food takes or if the order they put in his correct. Granted, the idea of full-service pizza doesn't make an ounce of sense either, but under no circumstance should a waitress tip out anyone except the hostess. Most pizza joints will have a tip jar on the counter which goes to cash, cook and prep.

I'd also like to point out that waitstaff are the MOST IMPORTANT part of eating out, which is why they get paid so much, and deservedly so. A waiter/waitress can make or break a restaurant, and are just as likely to bring in customers as the food quality.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #46   8/21/12 1:33:21PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
For the lobster tail that I eat every thursday evening, I tip the bus boy, the illegal washing the dishes, the gangster cooking my meal, the hot hostess, etc., etc.

Paid for by the committee that BELIEVES in tipping

Post #47   8/21/12 1:37:00PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:983-570
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
All this talk of eating out...me likey

Post #48   8/21/12 2:03:50PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,559-1,350
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

I know they're different, but some cooks go learn their skill how to cook at a school. You wouldn't have to do that to be a server. Now, this example is probably for more high-end restaurants.

To a point yes, I should have clarified. If I had done it another way personally I would never have gone to Culinary School. Id have gone to work in a big city such as NYC, stayed at a place 2 yrs and moved to another restaurant for 2 more. So in 4 yrs I have 4 yrs of exp, more than the guy coming out of school who is going to have to start where I started 4 yrs prior.

Now the cooks in the restaurants one main thing is experience. Same as a server its all repetition, now I'm not saying the chef at Le Bernardin is grouped in there because they do have a serious skill. But the chain restaurants its a corporate menu that people with basic skills can do with enough repetition.

Post #49   8/21/12 4:10:35PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

They might have a lot of tables, but not as hard as work as the cooks. They work to put out good food with regular pay. Also some of their tips are sometimes based on whether the food is good or not.

I used to work in a pizza place as a cook and it could be busy, but we still get the same pay and the servers walk out making more money, yet we're doing the harder work. They are suppose to tip out to the cooks, but would tip out a dollar when they made $100 that night unless the manager watched them.

I'm not a big fan of the system. But I also try not to eat out. Not saying I don't tip, though. I'd rather not, at some places I think servers just expect to be tipped regardless good or bad.

I've done everything in restaurants from dish washer to owner. Aside from a GM working expo, wait staff work harder than anyone else in the business. You make an order as a cook and it's off your mind, but they have to deal with that person for a long time after the order is out.

As for getting paid the same if its busy or not, thats true of absolutely every job on Earth.

As for tipping out the cooks, I've never in my life heard of such a thing and it's completely ridiculous. Waitstaff routinely get screwed on tips for things they had literally no control over, such as how long the food takes or if the order they put in his correct. Granted, the idea of full-service pizza doesn't make an ounce of sense either, but under no circumstance should a waitress tip out anyone except the hostess. Most pizza joints will have a tip jar on the counter which goes to cash, cook and prep.

I'd also like to point out that waitstaff are the MOST IMPORTANT part of eating out, which is why they get paid so much, and deservedly so. A waiter/waitress can make or break a restaurant, and are just as likely to bring in customers as the food quality.

That happens a lot at high end restaurants and hotel restaurants

Post #50   8/21/12 4:12:20PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,911-1,142
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Where's Ronda Rousey when you need her

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Post #51   8/21/12 5:03:30PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by airkerma

There ya go

Post #52   8/21/12 5:36:38PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:715-434
Chips:

the reason why their base pay is so low, for good or bad, is to provide an incentive to provide the best service possible to patrons. That is the way the system works.

Really? That is the reason their base pay is so low? Not because it's the status quo left behind a long time ago? I'm sure restaurant owners would love you to keep thinking that and paying their employee's salary...
The USA is the only country in the world who partakes in gratuity (I think) and every other country gets along just fine without it. The waitresses may be less fake, but apart from that, the service and food is just as good if you tip or not.

Post #53   8/21/12 6:26:16PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,911-1,142
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by airkerma

There ya go

perfecto

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Post #54   8/21/12 6:26:45PM   

VILLIN

Human/Sloth Hybrid

VILLIN Avatar

Career:1,750-1,009
Chips:
I always tip but the percentage varies depending on the service and quality of the food. If the food was prepared correctly and the service was good then i'll tip 30%. If one of those is off i'll drop to 20% and if both were below par I drop to 10%. On rare occasions i've had both outstanding food and service so I left 50%.

Post #55   8/21/12 8:15:54PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by infestructure

the reason why their base pay is so low, for good or bad, is to provide an incentive to provide the best service possible to patrons. That is the way the system works.

Really? That is the reason their base pay is so low? Not because it's the status quo left behind a long time ago? I'm sure restaurant owners would love you to keep thinking that and paying their employee's salary...
The USA is the only country in the world who partakes in gratuity (I think) and every other country gets along just fine without it. The waitresses may be less fake, but apart from that, the service and food is just as good if you tip or not.

I can only speak for sure about Canada and the US as those are the only two countries I have been to, and Canada definitely partakes in gratuity. Upon research though, tipping is quite common in many parts of the world, particularly in Europe and South America. Wikipedia did highlight specifically that in New Zealand, gratuity isn't commonplace.

I'd honestly be curious to find out from a well traveled person around the PG, who has dined around the world, to see which country they went to had the best service.

Last edited 8/21/12 10:29PM server time by warglory
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #56   8/21/12 10:28:25PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,291-1,224
Chips:
I always tip no matter if there a ass or not
Customer service is a hard job

Post #57   8/22/12 12:21:53AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:625-338
Chips:
tipping in australia is not anything like tipping in the U.S. I couldn't believe how slow your taxi meters go over there, over here it is seriously about double if not more for a taxi.
I generally give 10% at restaurants and a couple of bucks for the cabbies but it really is not customary to tip at all over here.
I got a buzz cut in brooklyn and didn't even know tipping existed in a barber shop until i got a dirty look from the guy that shaved my head.

Post #58   8/22/12 3:05:33AM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
While I have tipped, I think the idea tipping is ridiculous when the wages employees get should be higher. I'm under the thought that it's not up to the customers to pay most of the employees wages (sometimes 90%). It's like we're under a service tax and if you don't pay they might remember you. Tipping is ultimately taxing the customers for good service while not paying the employees what they actually should earn.

Post #59   8/22/12 6:08:00AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by Cooler

While I have tipped, I think the idea tipping is ridiculous when the wages employees get should be higher. I'm under the thought that it's not up to the customers to pay most of the employees wages (sometimes 90%). It's like we're under a service tax and if you don't pay they might remember you. Tipping is ultimately taxing the customers for good service while not paying the employees what they actually should earn.

What do folks not understand about this? The server has to be paid one way or another.

Either they get paid a low hourly wage and you tip them based on service, or they're paid a full wage and your food is more expensive to cover the extra labor costs.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #60   8/22/12 2:48:16PM   

Page 4 of 5     1     2     3     4     5