Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Cris Cyborg Unloads after Ronda Rousey Victory; Looking to Leave Strikeforce?

Print  
Posted By Message

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,616-882
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Strikeforce bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey kept her unbelievable unbeaten streak intact on Saturday night in San Diego, submitting No. 1 contender Sarah Kaufman with an armbar less than a minute into their bout.

As soon as the fight was over, the talk about a possible fight between Rousey and former Strikeforce 145-pound champion Cris Cyborg Santos hit a fever pitch. Even Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker, who was asked about the hypothetical bout’s stature at Saturday’s post-fight press conference, said that, if it were to come together, it would be “one of the biggest fights in the history of mixed martial arts.”

It only took a matter of minutes, however, for Cyborg to throw talk of a fight with Rousey, and Cyborg’s own future with Strikeforce, into disarray.

She quickly took to her official Twitter account after the fight, according to Tatame reporter Guilherme Cruz, saying that she was awaiting her release from Zuffa since her weight class is no more. Cyborg apparently continued that she would look elsewhere for a promotion that has her 145-pound class, specifically mentioning Invicta FC in one tweet, although that tweet appears to have been deleted a short time later.

“Guys I have not changed my weight,” Cyborg responded. “I started where I am.”

There was, in fact, a women’s featherweight fight on Saturday night’s Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman fight card. Hiroko Yamanaka and Germaine de Randamie fought at 145 pounds in a preliminary bout.

“She must be misinformed,” Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker told MMAWeekly.com’s Erik Fontanez. “I don’t understand why she’d be saying that since we just had a 145-pound fight on the card tonight.”

Perhaps it’s as simple as Cyborg feeling like she’s no longer wanted.

“I want to be respected as everyone wants to be,” Cyborg noted in one of her tweets.

link

Post #1   8/19/12 5:45:36AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,434-1,251
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
`stfu and get some fans` - Greg Jackson

Post #2   8/19/12 6:20:17AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,806-1,051
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

“I want to be respected as everyone wants to be,” Cyborg noted in one of her tweets.

Says the person currently serving a ban for the use of performance enhancing drugs......

Brilliant......

Post #3   8/19/12 9:23:58AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,380-1,274
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
If the Ufc wants to make a splash
They would do a cyborg vs rousey next year super fight on fox tv one time female fight deal

Post #4   8/19/12 10:10:59AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i think she's been out of the cage too long. after she murders a few other woman in the cage she will feel better.

Post #5   8/19/12 1:27:15PM