Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jon Jones doesn't want Machida rematch

Print  
  Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I'm kind of surprised that people are taking this so negatively. It's a completely honest response, and it's refreshing to hear, IMO. He didn't say he would refuse the fight, he explained pretty logically why fighting Machida is just about the worst matchup he could get considering risk vs reward. He'll make less money and have a tougher fight. That's a compliment to Machida, he's saying he knows he's a very dangerous fighter, but that his drawing power doesn't match his skill level.

I don't see why anyone would be upset about someone being concerned about how much money they make. These guys aren't fighting just for honour or a hard reputation, it's their job, of course money is the bottom line.

If he actually tried to refuse the fight, I would have a problem with that, because I don't believe champions should have the right to refuse a contender, but saying that he doesn't like the fight, doesn't want the fight, that it's high risk and will offer him a lower payday... It's just being honest.

Kind of funny since everyone's main complaint about this guy seems to be how fake he is, and yet when he's completely candid, he still gets ripped apart for caring too much about money. It's his job. Anyone here go into work for any reason other than money?

The primary reason this is such a ridiculous comment to make (Jones', not yours), is because Jones has no business talking about how much money he'd make off a Machida fight, when he hasn't even fought Hendo yet. This, along with a long line of other comments Jones makes, are full of this holier than thou attitude, while he also tries to maintain this honor bound warrior code, where he rises above the mudslinging. In a sentence, he comes across as being full of shit. As I mentioned earlier, all those who feel this way could be completely wrong, and maybe Jones really is an honorable guy, but either way his sense of PR is terrible.

I understand a reporter probably asked him how he felt about a Machida re-match, but that is the reporter's job, and it's Jones' job as a major mma champion, to not disrespect Hendo, who is by far the most decorated, experienced, well respected opponent he has ever faced, by talking dollars and cents about future challengers to "his" title.

Last edited 8/18/12 11:38AM server time by warglory
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #31   8/18/12 11:35:11AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:713-394
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i heard jones on a website say that in his fight with machida, he somehow replaced machida's daily urine shots with his own piss. Machida found out about this and is demanding the next shot at jones after hendo, stating - '' it is not fair i not drink my piss in my fight with jones, jones trick me and i drink his piss. I want next fight i drink my piss and anderson's 50/50 and i knockout jones ''

true story.

Post #32   8/18/12 12:19:32PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Jones also admitting there is higher risk of losing to Machida. Which is also not a good thing to say.

Post #33   8/18/12 1:03:12PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Jones also admitting there is higher risk of losing to Machida. Which is also not a good thing to say.

I agree. What does he mean by this? Does he not want to fight the "risky" opponents?

Post #34   8/18/12 1:28:46PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
hey jones if you want ppv numbers, fight anderson!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or a HW contender to lead to JDS

Post #35   8/18/12 2:11:56PM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,073-623
Camp: TKO
Chips:
If Henderson wins he would fight lyota. Hendo will fight anyone. I think I may have to go with my heart on this one and pick Hendo.

Post #36   8/18/12 2:13:29PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Chips:
it makes sense that he wants higher ppv numbers so his cut is bigger (who doesn't want more money) but when he has openly denied the 2 biggest ppv draws of his career and possibly of all time, anderson and JDS, its kinda of hypocritical.

PLEASE HENDERSON ANSWER OUR PRAYERS WITH AN H-BOMB!!!!!

on a side note, i really wish mma could have its own ali/frazier trilogy, they were so epic... i know the LW are nothing but rematches lately but they don't have the appeal of the LHW or HW.

Post #37   8/18/12 2:32:45PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,687-1,701
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
If he doesnt like the match up then I see him having three options.
1. Lose to Hendo
2. Go up a weight class to HW after this fight with Henderson.
3. Try and sign Anderson Silva to a fight after the fight with Henderson.
Not sure if there is really much else he can do.

Post #38   8/18/12 3:47:49PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Anyone here go into work for any reason other than money?

Actually some people here have careers they enjoy. I got to work to learn skills, because I enjoy being skilled.

That being said I don't have an average job.

Post #39   8/18/12 5:35:44PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:713-394
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

If he doesnt like the match up then I see him having three options.
1. Lose to Hendo
2. Go up a weight class to HW after this fight with Henderson.
3. Try and sign Anderson Silva to a fight after the fight with Henderson.
Not sure if there is really much else he can do.

one of his options is to lose to hendo lol. Anderson has had like 10 title defences at mw, why can't jones just stay at lhw ? these quotes by jones have been taken way overboard.
jones said he would move to hw eventually but don't see him doing that for at least another year.

Post #40   8/18/12 7:25:18PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Just because the first fight didn't sell well doesn't mean the second wont.

There is more to a card than the main event. The co-main event the first time around was Tito vs Little Nog, and the rest of the card was stacked with Canadians because for some reason the UFC feels every card outside the UFC needs homegrown fighters to promote. With a higher quality undercard and co-main event combined with the fact that Lyoto was the only person to make Jones look human so far, I think that rematch has potential to be a huge draw.

Besides as a Champion you shouldn't be able to decline fights, you fight whoever the UFC deems the #1 contender.

wasn't the co-main Mir vs Big Nog II?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #41   8/18/12 7:32:47PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by FlashyG

Just because the first fight didn't sell well doesn't mean the second wont.

There is more to a card than the main event. The co-main event the first time around was Tito vs Little Nog, and the rest of the card was stacked with Canadians because for some reason the UFC feels every card outside the UFC needs homegrown fighters to promote. With a higher quality undercard and co-main event combined with the fact that Lyoto was the only person to make Jones look human so far, I think that rematch has potential to be a huge draw.

Besides as a Champion you shouldn't be able to decline fights, you fight whoever the UFC deems the #1 contender.

wasn't the co-main Mir vs Big Nog II?

yea mir/big nog was the co-main and tito/lil nog were the fight before co-main

Post #42   8/18/12 9:07:47PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Definitley a bad answer from Jones but are any of us actually looking forward to it? I dont even get how Machida got a title shot. Cause he knocked out Bader? Come on now

Post #43   8/18/12 9:32:15PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

You answered that very poorly, Jones. Making it seem like you only care about money.

I don't want to see those two fight because they just fought. Machida just fought Jones before Bader and before that only had a win over Couture to get the title shot.

But, for the love of god, let Hendo beat Jones.

Which one? If anything you should've said please his holiness the Flying Spaghetti Monster, let Hendo land an H-Bomb

Last edited 8/18/12 9:45PM server time by cooler

Post #44   8/18/12 9:41:19PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:

Posted by Cooler

You answered that very poorly, Jones. Making it seem like you only care about money.

I don't want to see those two fight because they just fought. Machida just fought Jones before Bader and before that only had a win over Couture to get the title shot.

But, for the love of [U]god[/U], let Hendo beat Jones.

Which one?

Uh the one in wu-tang obviously. how many U-Gods do you know

Last edited 8/18/12 9:44PM server time by Boo_Radley21

Post #45   8/18/12 9:44:08PM   

Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4