Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Jon Jones doesn't want Machida rematch

Print  
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I'm with the consensus. If I start saying more, I'll likely "fighter bash."

Post #16   8/18/12 5:08:30AM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:522-387
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
Ok not trying to pick a fight here at all, but for those of you who didn't get a chance to read the last quote provided for Jones in this piece it was "I don't think it's appropriate to be talking about fighting anybody but Dan Henderson," Jones said. "I'm clearly focused on Dan Henderson. I'm not overlooking Dan." He clearly isn't overlooking Henderson. In reality he has a reporter with a microphone shoved in his face asking him a bunch of questions and taking them out of context to compile what is at best a mediocre representation of what the guy says. I'm the first one to point out Jones is one of the more arrogant fighters out there, but it does seem he is getting way more heat than a lot of guys. Hell some people defended Shogun when he took the Vera fight "Oh it's a lose lose for Shogun to fight Tex." Well if that logic is still remotely sound then Jon has a point. Lastly, fighters do have input as to who they will fight. Nobody is forced to fight anybody else. These guys get signed to a specific number of fights, a specific salary, a specific % of ppv buys, but they don't get signed to a specific number of mandated fights against specific opponents. They get to make the choice as to who they will or won't fight. I'm not a big fan of fighters "ducking" other fighters or just deciding it's a boring fight, but they have that right. It just strikes me as odd that a guy who is about to face his 5th former champ in a row is being criticized for trying to "pick his fights." He's trying to maintain his relevance and as best as I can tell from this piece milled article he's also trying to focus on his immediate task at hand and isn't even thinking about what comes after Henderson.

Post #17   8/18/12 6:53:34AM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:
Basically if hendo doesnt knock him out or machida doesnt win against him then he needs to move up in weight class.

Post #18   8/18/12 8:15:15AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by TerrorofsesameST

Who else is in line for a title shot besides Lyoto? Shogun..well some of us can make that argument but Shogun is 2-1 since (2 wins -washed up Forrest and a 205'er who isn't even in top 10 lhw rankings) losing title and that 1 loss being an epic battle with Hendo. The young guys like Gustsaffson/Davis have some ways to go before stepping in cage w/ Jones for a shot at the title. Rashad needs to come back with a convincing win if he wants another crack at his old friend. I'd love to finally see Shogun vs Rashad!! Back to the Dragon, Machida's win over Bader was really convincing that he wants another shot at that title. And lets not forget Machida gave Bones a good fight, KO'd Couture, got robbed in Rampage fight..Idk I maybe a bit biased because I am a fan of Machida and Jones I just want to see a good title fight and to see more challenges thrown at Jon Jones because the man is that good. But like Jones said..Hendo comes first.

This all day. Props to you!

Post #19   8/18/12 9:40:06AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,220-792
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
Like prophecy said if the UFC says your fighting lyoto your fighting him. Your the champ act and fight like it.

Post #20   8/18/12 9:46:41AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by jlock003

Ok not trying to pick a fight here at all, but for those of you who didn't get a chance to read the last quote provided for Jones in this piece it was "I don't think it's appropriate to be talking about fighting anybody but Dan Henderson," Jones said. "I'm clearly focused on Dan Henderson. I'm not overlooking Dan." He clearly isn't overlooking Henderson. In reality he has a reporter with a microphone shoved in his face asking him a bunch of questions and taking them out of context to compile what is at best a mediocre representation of what the guy says. I'm the first one to point out Jones is one of the more arrogant fighters out there, but it does seem he is getting way more heat than a lot of guys. Hell some people defended Shogun when he took the Vera fight "Oh it's a lose lose for Shogun to fight Tex." Well if that logic is still remotely sound then Jon has a point. Lastly, fighters do have input as to who they will fight. Nobody is forced to fight anybody else. These guys get signed to a specific number of fights, a specific salary, a specific % of ppv buys, but they don't get signed to a specific number of mandated fights against specific opponents. They get to make the choice as to who they will or won't fight. I'm not a big fan of fighters "ducking" other fighters or just deciding it's a boring fight, but they have that right. It just strikes me as odd that a guy who is about to face his 5th former champ in a row is being criticized for trying to "pick his fights." He's trying to maintain his relevance and as best as I can tell from this piece milled article he's also trying to focus on his immediate task at hand and isn't even thinking about what comes after Henderson.

Generally, you are absolutely right. However, when Jones speaks, he comes across as being dismissive and arrogant. This isn't the first comment that he has made that alludes to this. Could all Jones' detractors be mistaken about his character? Absolutely. No one here knows the man personally. However, Jones considers himself to be an upstanding guy, he doesn't have a Mayweather persona where he is outwardly dickish, but he still maintains this arrogance, which he doesn't embrace, and that is very off putting to many people.

Post #21   8/18/12 9:47:52AM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:

Posted by meier

Basically if hendo doesnt knock him out or machida doesnt win against him then he needs to move up in weight class.

Gustafson and Glover have to be right there if they win. Te Huna maybe? That may be a reach at this point.

There probably isn't much left at LHW if Jones is destroying guys, but he didn't destroy Rashad, and Lyoto gave him some trouble.

Really, he should concentrate on getting past Hendo first.

Post #22   8/18/12 9:53:03AM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:
"No one wants to see me fight Lyoto Machida.

I do.

"He's a tough fighter, but no one wants to buy that fight.

I do.

"Between (Mauricio) Shogun (Rua), (Quinton) Rampage (Jackson) and Rashad (Evans), Lyoto was my lowest draw. Why would I want to fight someone where it's a lose-lose situation?"

It's a lose-win situation. You may not make as much money as fighting other big names, but I'm sure you won't be making chump change either. Contenders sometimes earn multiple title shots. If they do, beating them further solidifies your place at the top.

"I won't make money on it."

There's that money thing again; it's nice to know what motivates Jones and where his priorities lie.

Last edited 8/18/12 10:08AM server time by MALICE
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #23   8/18/12 10:07:39AM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:522-387
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by jlock003

Generally, you are absolutely right. However, when Jones speaks, he comes across as being dismissive and arrogant. This isn't the first comment that he has made that alludes to this. Could all Jones' detractors be mistaken about his character? Absolutely. No one here knows the man personally. However, Jones considers himself to be an upstanding guy, he doesn't have a Mayweather persona where he is outwardly dickish, but he still maintains this arrogance, which he doesn't embrace, and that is very off putting to many people.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I'm not even a Jones fan (as far as personality) and I never have been. I was calling him arrogant long before he won the title. It definitely puts people off self included. It just seemed like people weren't acknowledging him at least saying he wasn't looking past Hendo and I've seen countless fighter's words misrepresented in written interviews compiled of hodgepodge quotes. I'm definitely with you though, he stands on that "good guy" persona and comes across incredibly "dickish."

Post #24   8/18/12 10:17:59AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I'm kind of surprised that people are taking this so negatively. It's a completely honest response, and it's refreshing to hear, IMO. He didn't say he would refuse the fight, he explained pretty logically why fighting Machida is just about the worst matchup he could get considering risk vs reward. He'll make less money and have a tougher fight. That's a compliment to Machida, he's saying he knows he's a very dangerous fighter, but that his drawing power doesn't match his skill level.

I don't see why anyone would be upset about someone being concerned about how much money they make. These guys aren't fighting just for honour or a hard reputation, it's their job, of course money is the bottom line.

If he actually tried to refuse the fight, I would have a problem with that, because I don't believe champions should have the right to refuse a contender, but saying that he doesn't like the fight, doesn't want the fight, that it's high risk and will offer him a lower payday... It's just being honest.

Kind of funny since everyone's main complaint about this guy seems to be how fake he is, and yet when he's completely candid, he still gets ripped apart for caring too much about money. It's his job. Anyone here go into work for any reason other than money?

Post #25   8/18/12 10:21:02AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:653-353
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I'm kind of surprised that people are taking this so negatively. It's a completely honest response, and it's refreshing to hear, IMO. He didn't say he would refuse the fight, he explained pretty logically why fighting Machida is just about the worst matchup he could get considering risk vs reward. He'll make less money and have a tougher fight. That's a compliment to Machida, he's saying he knows he's a very dangerous fighter, but that his drawing power doesn't match his skill level.

I don't see why anyone would be upset about someone being concerned about how much money they make. These guys aren't fighting just for honour or a hard reputation, it's their job, of course money is the bottom line.

If he actually tried to refuse the fight, I would have a problem with that, because I don't believe champions should have the right to refuse a contender, but saying that he doesn't like the fight, doesn't want the fight, that it's high risk and will offer him a lower payday... It's just being honest.

Kind of funny since everyone's main complaint about this guy seems to be how fake he is, and yet when he's completely candid, he still gets ripped apart for caring too much about money. It's his job. Anyone here go into work for any reason other than money?

thankyou !!!

end of discussion me thinks.

Post #26   8/18/12 10:29:58AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,378-801
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Let the man have his opinion, I want to see him fight Machida but I don't even like him or get up for his fights, if he went out and destroyed instead of dominated I would jump out of my seat.

Post #27   8/18/12 10:30:54AM   

scpd400

MMA Regular

scpd400 Avatar

Career:1,621-1,138
Camp: Team Topaz
Chips:
So Jones is already looking past "Hendo" big mistake. Maybe he don't want to fight Machida becasue Machida actually took a round from Jones. blah blahblah. He will fight who the UFC says he will fight.

Post #28   8/18/12 10:33:38AM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,851-901
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:
So many fight fans annoyed at Jones for stuff he does and says outside the ring...I dunno, if fighters are entertaining and keep winning they are okay in my book.

Machida did present a new set of challenges for Jones, but I disagree with those that say Bones was in any real danger of losing the fight. He had a somewhat rough first round and then did his thing in the SECOND round.

I'm just tired of rematches in all divisions, and LHW is stacked enough to have little need for them at this point. Alexander Gustafsson has five very solid wins in a row, and I'd say he's done enough to earn a shot AND be a threat to take the belt. After that enough time should have passed given how few title fights happen each year that someone else like Glover Teixeira should have been filtered up to top of the division.

Last edited 8/18/12 10:50AM server time by OnyxShadow
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #29   8/18/12 10:50:09AM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:2,002-1,241
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Boo hoo Jon Jones!!
Nobody cares what you think, so fight who your told to fight! I think you should worry more about not drinking and driving again!!!

Post #30   8/18/12 11:10:16AM   

Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4