Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Report: Early UFC 150 PPV buys estimated at 190,000

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,667-904
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
That's the very early number from longtime mixed martial arts (MMA) reporter Dave Meltzer, who released the preliminary estimates on his f4wonline website earlier today.

Very early numbers indicate about 190,000 North American buys (this is not a direct buy number or even a strong estimate but just a very preliminary figure). While nobody going in expected big numbers, that would still be below most expectations. As we always say, there is significant potential margin of error this early, but suffice to say this show probably did not do well. We'll have a better read on this in two weeks. It looks to be the lowest number for a PPV that came from North America since 2005.

Ouch.

UFC 150 produced "the worst gate since 2007" and never even made it in front of the DirecTV audience, after the global satellite giant "went down" and effectively eliminated a "huge number" of potential viewers.

link

Post #1   8/16/12 4:50:06PM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,073-623
Camp: TKO
Chips:
Ouch is right. This sucks. The little guys put on the best fights / shows, but do not get the respect or fanbase they deserve.

Post #2   8/16/12 5:19:02PM   

landstander

MMA Regular

landstander Avatar

Career:51-32
Chips:

Posted by Dberntson

Ouch is right. This sucks. The little guys put on the best fights / shows, but do not get the respect or fanbase they deserve.

They should move up to a more respectable weight division.

Post #3   8/16/12 5:30:58PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by landstander

Posted by Dberntson

Screw that. They're already in respectable weight divisions. They just need time to grow a fan base. A lot of people missed out on the WEC and as an mma fan I feel sorry for them.

Post #4   8/16/12 5:55:31PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,557-943
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
After a projected $650k gate and a disclosed payroll over $800k, surely the UFC would like those PPV numbers to be a bit higher...

Post #5   8/16/12 6:12:07PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by landstander

Posted by Dberntson

Screw that. They're already in respectable weight divisions. They just need time to grow a fan base. A lot of people missed out on the WEC and as an mma fan I feel sorry for them.

As do I Budge

Post #6   8/16/12 7:08:26PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,173-700
Chips:
That's painful

But you know, you give people Shogun, Machida and Bader free all of whom the fair weather fans have heard of, Why are they gonna pay for Edgar and Bendo?

I would say UFC 151 will do better but... Hieron and Ellenberger?

I don't think we'll see 750+ plus for a while, the next most stacked card is UFC on Fox 5... Which is free

I just hope being on FOX is earning the UFC more than PPV's

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #7   8/16/12 7:40:55PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
I don't think the problem was the weightclass, I just think there was no hype for this fight, and not many people want to see Frankie Edgar in yet another title fight. Nothing against the guy, he is just not a very marketable fighter.

This was just not a major main event.

Post #8   8/16/12 8:26:13PM   

hymiekooken

MMA Regular

hymiekooken Avatar

Career:162-131
Chips:
I think this is the reason the UFC is putting badass cards on FOX for free lately, they know that borderline fans who will not normally pay 55 bucks for a ppv will tune in for free cards, and once they see the quality of the fights, it will net them more ppv buys in the future. Marketing 101.

Post #9   8/16/12 8:58:00PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Not suprised at all. Water down ppv would do that

I wouldn't be suprised if next year the ppv start getting stacked with the free ones being watered down to start trying to create new super stars

Post #10   8/16/12 11:26:36PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
well dana did say he eventually sees no more ppv. the fox ratings matter more now but obviously they still want good ppv numbers but there is more money in tv deals

Post #11   8/17/12 12:17:09AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Chips:

Posted by landstander

Posted by Dberntson

Nothing screams respectable more than moving up a weight class, where they will most likely perform worse, just to satisfy ignorant "fans".

Post #12   8/17/12 10:13:07AM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Lighter weight classes just never sell...even BJ at 155 was never really a PPV draw. It's kind of strange when you look at the drawing power some of the lighter boxing classes have.

Maybe some exposure on Fox will help them get over that hurdle...but I'm just not sure Benson has the charisma to turn it around.

Post #13   8/17/12 4:21:13PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:

Posted by Manak

well dana did say he eventually sees no more ppv. the fox ratings matter more now but obviously they still want good ppv numbers but there is more money in tv deals

I would strongly disagree TV deals are worth more...at least right now. They're not getting that much money from Fox to be honest, can't remember the exact numbers but it was surprisingly small...it's about the exposure...then they hope that exposure will turn into more PPV buys.

I really don't ever see the UFC going to a non-PPV format. It will just never be as popular in the US as other sports like the NFL. Might have a broader appeal worldwide, but they're not going to make bank off of Television deals outside the US.

Post #14   8/17/12 4:25:27PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

Posted by Manak

I would strongly disagree TV deals are worth more...at least right now. They're not getting that much money from Fox to be honest, can't remember the exact numbers but it was surprisingly small...it's about the exposure...then they hope that exposure will turn into more PPV buys.

I really don't ever see the UFC going to a non-PPV format. It will just never be as popular in the US as other sports like the NFL. Might have a broader appeal worldwide, but they're not going to make bank off of Television deals outside the US.

yes you are right that the deal is not worth it right now. but I'm talking about the future, if the ratings can get good enough, it can be a huge deal. all the major sports have huge deals, that are in the high nine figures. its takes time though, UFC needs to get higher ratings 1st. people like free shit. but like i said this is all based on ratings. plus they could launch their own network as every other sport has.

I disagree that it can't get as popular as the nfl. not to long ago mlb was the top dog but look how it has fallen. the numbers the nfl are generating is monstrous but UFC is growing at an incredible rate. its valued over a billon dollars already and only growing. espn has started taking it serious along with other sport channesl and getting high profiled celebs (which helps bring in causal fans). plus big time sponsors are getting involved.

Post #15   8/17/12 6:10:08PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2