Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Shlemenko Confirms With 100% Certainty That Fighters Fake Injuries To Avoid Bad Match Ups

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,667-904
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
“I can tell you for sure, 100%, I know why there are so many injuries. I personally find UFC fights not as exciting because of all those injuries. There are a lot of background tactics around who’s fighting who; fighters are trying really hard to have a good record in the UFC. If you’ve been offered to fight someone who’s considered a bad match-up, then it’s pretty easy to say ‘hey, I’m injured’.

For example, they offered Brian Stann to fight Hector Lombard. He got injured, and then the next thing you know – he’s fighting Michael Bisping. I can see the logic – for Brian Stann it makes more sense to fight Bisping, he’s simply more popular in the UFC than Hector Lombard. That’s why beating Bisping means more than beating Lombard, who’s a risky opponent.

You can fake every injury. Just tell [UFC doctors] about the symptoms and that’s it.”

In an interview with a ValeTudo.ru, Bellator middleweight stand-out, Alexander Shlemenko tries to blow the whistle on a number of fighters who pull out of scheduled fights due to injury.

link

Post #1   8/14/12 8:24:05PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Not sure about Stann but he's right for the most part.

Post #2   8/14/12 8:30:37PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:
i think he probably right. i couldnt imaging that sort of thing NOT happening. i dont think every fighter does it.

if you think about it though, if a fighter has a nagging injury he's been dealing with for a long time but has never had a chance to fix it, he might use that injury to pass up a small fight. then he can get totally healed and back at 100% in order take on bigger named opponents . fuck this is a waste of time because shlemenko pretty much said it. oh well

Post #3   8/14/12 9:04:22PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Chips:
It doesn't surprise me although not every Injury is for this reason. And I'm not real sure about the whole "you need a good record" to stay in the UFC. Look at guys like Hardy, Lytle, and Gurgel. They are proof that if you put on exciting fights and the fans love you your probably gonna be given the benefit of the doubt

Post #4   8/14/12 10:14:43PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:
To tell the truth, I would probably do it so I could obtain a favorable matchup. I mean... If you ask everyone in the world who they would rather fight - Bisping or Lombard - you would get 7.33 billion people voting for Bisping, and three for Lombard. And those three would be Mousasi, Gono and Boetsch .

Post #5   8/14/12 10:35:54PM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:
Sinosic never did

Post #6   8/14/12 10:37:26PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
A must read

(Yeah, I'm talking to you Hector)

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 8/14/12 11:12PM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   8/14/12 11:11:42PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Chips:

I think there was a typo on the cover

Post #8   8/14/12 11:18:57PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I love the PG. It has become sort of my internet home away from home and I would do everything in my power to not let a sour apple or a rule be the reason to not post anymore. Having said that, I feel disrespected as a fan when I cannot theorize about the performance of a fighter or question a fighter's heart. Yet it is perfectly fine when a direct and or indirect participant of the sport questions the integrity of fighters.

IMO, the fans who follow MMA are the most crucial element to this business and yet we are told to not bash or refrain from bashing fighters which includes questioning a fighter's heart and integrity and so forth. They way I see it, if we don't call fighters out about their hearts and integrity, things like matches being thrown and fighters faking injuries are more likely to occur. We, the fans, have a stake in this business and if our voices aren't heard, we can expect MMA to slowly make its way to becoming a sport of a joke like Boxing.

The counter response I am anticipating is, " This is the rule of the site and if you want to bash and question fighters' hearts and integrity, do so at your own leisure or at another site."

While I can respect the rules of any given site, it pains me to know and see someone can write an article or do an interview and bash fighters while we, the fans, are not allowed to do so in most prestige mma sites including this one.

I have had my doubts about many MMA related things including fighters but my voice can't be heard because of this rule. I can almost guarantee if I made the same claim as the thread title suggested, I will have been warned or told to stop.

Again, I love this site and I would not want to jeopardize its growth in any way, but how is the opinion of one fighter, promoter, manager, reporter and or writer - more valid and more acceptable than the fans, who are an intricate part of this MMA equation? I truly believe this fighter basing rule needs to be re-evaluated. I think the Playground is filled with respectful and intellectual posters who can theorize about a fighter's performance without having to ridicule the fighter.

Post #9   8/14/12 11:57:08PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

I love the PG. It has become sort of my internet home away from home and I would do everything in my power to not let a sour apple or a rule be the reason to not post anymore. Having said that, I feel disrespected as a fan when I cannot theorize about the performance of a fighter or question a fighter's heart. Yet it is perfectly fine when a direct and or indirect participant of the sport questions the integrity of fighters.

IMO, the fans who follow MMA are the most crucial element to this business and yet we are told to not bash or refrain from bashing fighters which includes questioning a fighter's heart and integrity and so forth. They way I see it, if we don't call fighters out about their hearts and integrity, things like matches being thrown and fighters faking injuries are more likely to occur. We, the fans, have a stake in this business and if our voices aren't heard, we can expect MMA to slowly make its way to becoming a sport of a joke like Boxing.

The counter response I am anticipating is, " This is the rule of the site and if you want to bash and question fighters' hearts and integrity, do so at your own leisure or at another site."

While I can respect the rules of any given site, it pains me to know and see someone can write an article or do an interview and bash fighters while we, the fans, are not allowed to do so in most prestige mma sites including this one.

I have had my doubts about many MMA related things including fighters but my voice can't be heard because of this rule. I can almost guarantee if I made the same claim as the thread title suggested, I will have been warned or told to stop.

Again, I love this site and I would not want to jeopardize its growth in any way, but how is the opinion of one fighter, promoter, manager, reporter and or writer - more valid and more acceptable than the fans, who are an intricate part of this MMA equation? I truly believe this fighter basing rule needs to be re-evaluated. I think the Playground is filled with respectful and intellectual posters who can theorize about a fighter's performance without having to ridicule the fighter.

the main reasonis to keep the keyboard warriors out. if you just scan through threads and see comments, you see the usually posters "bashing" fighters but they are doing it in way that has knowledgeable facts and uses intellect instead of just slander. while yes sometimes ppl cross the line but no one is prefect.

yes you do have a point but you have the free will to write articles and get them posted on websites and then post them here. but like i said the majority of the posters are doing what you said "I think the Playground is filled with respectful and intellectual posters who can theorize about a fighter's performance without having to ridicule the fighter"

Last edited 8/15/12 1:57AM server time by manak
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   8/15/12 12:46:56AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Manak

the main reasonis to keep the keyboard warriors out. if you just scan through threads and see comments, you see the usually posters "bashing" fighters but they are doing it in a with knowledgeable facts and intellect instead of just slander. while yes sometimes ppl cross the line but no one is prefect.

yes you do have a point but you have the free will to write articles and get them posted on websites and then post them here. but like i said the majority of the posters are doing what you said "I think the Playground is filled with respectful and intellectual posters who can theorize about a fighter's performance without having to ridicule the fighter"

The reason I'm pretty adamant about this topic is because I have been told to stop a few times already and it is mainly because I forget I cannot question a fighter's motive. Do you remember the Vitor and Anthony Johnson fight? Johnson came in overweight and blah blah blah...he lost. Since I can't tell you exactly what I think happened, all I can say is - that fight did not look right to me. Saying anything more than that will probably earn me a warning. I think if some things don't quite add up, we should be able to discuss it.

Post #11   8/15/12 1:00:43AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

took me a couple of minutes but I lol'd when I found it.

I suspect Shlemenko is making this sound like a bigger problem than it is. I'm sure it happens but I doubt its widespread.

Post #12   8/15/12 1:28:06AM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,428-1,454
Chips:
i find this very true, fighters may not be 'ducking' each other..but they def would fight a opponent who is rankd higher..if u ask a majority of fighters if they wantd to fight the 4th rank fighter or the 7th rank fighter, and one of em happens to be more known and more favorable to ur style, u would def fight that fighter, then the lesser known rankd fighter..its all bout inching closer to that title shot and being champ..plain and simple..and by beating the higher rank fighter that's what it does..

Post #13   8/15/12 1:29:44AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

I found two errors.

Post #14   8/15/12 1:36:08AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
another reason to do this, would also to be fighting on a different fight card for the location or ppv numbers. makes sense i would want to fight on home soil (or don't wanna go 11 hrs in a plane) as well as be on one fight card that gets a lot of views to get better name popularity.

Post #15   8/15/12 1:54:43AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2