Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Cris Cyborg wants Ronda Rousey fight, requests 140-pound catchweight

Print  
  Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

FlashyG

MMA Sensei

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,156-1,214
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I'll tell you what...

Gord & Tim, next time you're both at work, tell a female coworker that not only does she have a dick, but she is a dick. Let me know what happens.

In my next life as a female, when a female co-worker threaten's me and challenges me to a fight, I'll try that and get back to you.

Post #31   8/14/12 2:28:01PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I think all 3 of you look like woman and have no nuts between your legs......That’s right 3 wet cunts (well you all three at the moment seem to have sand in your puss so they might not be all that wet.) I challenge all three of you to a catch weight fight at 140 lbs. You don't have a hair on your respective asses if you do not accept! No title on the line!

Post #32   8/14/12 2:34:20PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Well I'll stay above the influence to sink that low and continue to stop my parallel there. I try not to look at the sport with a sexist lens. I hardly ever watch women's mma to be honest, and it's for the same reason I don't really watch local promotions or even b level promotions. Unless it's a very high level fight, I don't find it as compelling, no matter the attractiveness of a fighter.

They're all athletes to me, and that's how I treat them.

Post #33   8/14/12 2:34:48PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

I think all 3 of you look like woman and have no nuts between your legs......That’s right 3 wet cunts (well you all three at the moment seem to have sand in your puss so they might not be all that wet.) I challenge all three of you to a catch weight fight at 140 lbs. You don't have a hair on your respective asses if you do not accept! No title on the line!

Man, I haven't been 140 lbs since middle school.

Post #34   8/14/12 2:35:37PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

A woman who for all we know looks different than her peers because she has been injecting herself with Steroids. Nobody is defending Rousey's words here, maybe this is another thing you should be arguing about on Twitter or Facebook.

But you don't know. She's always looked like that.

You said men "IN THIS THREAD" have held her to a different standard, I'm pretty sure Julie Kedzie and Shannon Knapp aren't discussing the personal opinions of playground posters so I'm not sure what they have to do with anything.

You have held her to a different standard. You've minimized everything Rousey has said and dismissed it because she tested positive. "Maybe she did this"

I'm not saying nobody here has EVER treated her differently, i'm saying its only your opinion that its happened in this thread.

I should have said on these boards. My bad. The men on the Playground.

What are you talking about? The only criticism she's received in this thread is for being a cheater. If she's been unfairly criticized in other threads or on other mediums make your complaints there.

Why would I express them there when Ronda's comments are just a by-product of what happens everywhere else? If Ronda is perpetuating these disgusting and reprehensible statements, then a thread about Ronda saying it would be the place to discuss it, no?

That's like saying I shouldn't bring up a history of racism when someone says something racist. Ridiculous assertion.

Other than the unfair jokes about her appearance (that haven't happened in this thread) her treatment has been exactly the same as it has been for Overeem, and even that unfair treatment is the same as it is for every other woman in MMA. Rousey and Carano regarless of talent will always be better known for their looks than whatever they accomplish in the cage. That discussion is worthy of its own thread but isn't really the point here.

Uh, no it hasn't. Not even remotely close to the same. If you think her "treatment" has been the same, then why don't you try raising a family where your children have to constantly see their mother's sexuality, gender, and looks into question every, single day. And quit acting like every comment about Cyborg's looks has been steroid related. People were calling her a man, ugly, and someone who had a dick LONG before she tested postive.

Saying Santos should move to Rousey's division is not holding her to a new standard, she called out Rousey. Rousey fights at 135, if she wants the fight she knows what she has to do.

She doesn't want Ronda's belt. She wants to defend her honor, her family, and sense of self as a female. She doesn't need to move to 135 to accomplish that. Ronda is the one who said won every fight because she cheated and that she couldn't beat anyone playing fairly. Ronda called her out. Then Ronda followed it up with derogatory comments about her appearance.

I said "inside the cage" she has the moral highground. I don't care about the bullshit that takes place outside the cage. I don't know these people and I never will, I watch them fight and I want to watch fighters who are fighting on a level playing field. One of the 2 fighters in question is a cheater and the other isn't that's really all I find relevant when it comes to a fight between them.

I do question Overeem's entire career, especially after his PRIDE days when he seemed to have changed his physique into an entirely different fighter. I don't think I'm alone in that either.

Since a person cannot be separated from their morals, your statement holds no water. The same values Ronda has when she says stuff like this are the same values she brings to the cage. If you want to say that Ronda has never been caught cheating, fine. Her values are her values and they go wherever she goes. Cage or otherwise.

If you're going to argue semantics over "this thread" then I'll argue semantics over values. If Cyborg is a cheater, Ronda is a morally bankrupt fighter

Post #35   8/14/12 2:42:03PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
After reading through this thread, I have an urge to want to fight Kpro. Why Kpro? Well, it's simple. He has a lot of accolades and a lot of props and it's making me jealous. Furthermore, he gets along well with everyone and I can't stand that at all.

I, hereby, challenge Kpro to a fight. Because it was I who made the challenge and not Kpro, I think it's only fair Kpro buys a plane ticket to fly to my city. And because it was I who made the challenge and not Kpro, it's only fair he should have to pay for room and board himself. And to make it easier for Kpro, I will be willing to meet Kpro half way from the airport. See??? I'm a fair guy.

What do you say, Kpro?

Post #36   8/14/12 2:46:18PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

After reading through this thread, I have an urge to want to fight Kpro. Why Kpro? Well, it's simple. He has a lot of accolades and a lot of props and it's making me jealous. Furthermore, he gets along well with everyone and I can't stand that at all.

I, hereby, challenge Kpro to a fight. Because it was I who made the challenge and not Kpro, I think it's only fair Kpro buys a plane ticket to fly to my city. And because it was I who made the challenge and not Kpro, it's only fair he should have to pay for room and board himself. And to make it easier for Kpro, I will be willing to meet Kpro half way from the airport. See??? I'm a fair guy.

What do you say, Kpro?

Post #37   8/14/12 2:57:52PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:860-491
Chips:
This thread makes me miss MMA@work all the more, could have a good 'ol debate between host and former host, with special guest Flashy G.

Post #38   8/14/12 2:58:45PM   

FlashyG

MMA Sensei

FlashyG Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

But you don't know. She's always looked like that.

She has as long as I've seen her fight, which is why I question whether she has been doping all along. The same as why I question Overeem from the first time I saw him fight.

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

You have held her to a different standard. You've minimized everything Rousey has said and dismissed it because she tested positive. "Maybe she did this"

I'm dismissing it because it happened outside the cage and It doesn't affect a fight. Cheating does.

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
Why would I express them there when Ronda's comments are just a by-product of what happens everywhere else? If Ronda is perpetuating these disgusting and reprehensible statements, then a thread about Ronda saying it would be the place to discuss it, no?

That's like saying I shouldn't bring up a history of racism when someone says something racist. Ridiculous assertion.

Except this isn't a thread about Rousey's comments it was derailed into one by you. It was supposed to be about Cyborg wanting a 140lb catchweight fight against Rousey.

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
Uh, no it hasn't. Not even remotely close to the same. If you think her "treatment" has been the same, then why don't you try raising a family where your children have to constantly see their mother's sexuality, gender, and looks into question every, single day. And quit acting like every comment about Cyborg's looks has been steroid related. People were calling her a man, ugly, and someone who had a dick LONG before she tested postive.

Its the same in that all female fighters unfortunately are commented on based on their appearance. That some get commented on negatively and others positively isn't my point. Its something that ALL female fighters have to deal with that Male fighters don't. Again though, it has no bearing on this thread and deserves a thread of its own.

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
She doesn't want Ronda's belt. She wants to defend her honor, her family, and sense of self as a female. She doesn't need to move to 135 to accomplish that. Ronda is the one who said won every fight because she cheated and that she couldn't beat anyone playing fairly. Ronda called her out. Then Ronda followed it up with derogatory comments about her appearance.

It doesn't matter if she wants the belt. Ronda didn't call her our, she questioned her credibility and her wins but she didn't say anything about wanting a fight with her. Santos called her out and threatened her and Rousey responded with derogatory comments about her appearance.

If she wants to defend her honor, her family (that was never threatened) and her sense of self as a female she DOES have to move to 135 since the person she finds a threat fights at that weight and has no reason to move up to give Santos an advantage.

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
Since a person cannot be separated from their morals, your statement holds no water. The same values Ronda has when she says stuff like this are the same values she brings to the cage. If you want to say that Ronda has never been caught cheating, fine. Her values are her values and they go wherever she goes. Cage or otherwise.

If you're going to argue semantics over "this thread" then I'll argue semantics over values. If Cyborg is a cheater, Ronda is a morally bankrupt fighter

I have no problem separating an athletes actions and words outside of their sport from what they do in their respective fields of play. I don't care that Tiger Woods slept with everything he could find in a skirt, I don't care that Michael Vick ran a dog fighting ring, I don't care that Jon Jones is a hypocrite and I don't care that Ronda Rousey say's insanely stupid things quite frequently or to use your term is "morally bankrupt"

Those athletes moral short comings haven't affected the careers of others as Santos' have.

Post #39   8/14/12 3:18:24PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

She has as long as I've seen her fight, which is why I question whether she has been doping all along. The same as why I question Overeem from the first time I saw him fight.

I'm dismissing it because it happened outside the cage and It doesn't affect a fight. Cheating does.

Except this isn't a thread about Rousey's comments it was derailed into one by you. It was supposed to be about Cyborg wanting a 140lb catchweight fight against Rousey.

Its the same in that all female fighters unfortunately are commented on based on their appearance. That some get commented on negatively and others positively isn't my point. Its something that ALL female fighters have to deal with that Male fighters don't. Again though, it has no bearing on this thread and deserves a thread of its own.

It doesn't matter if she wants the belt. Ronda didn't call her our, she questioned her credibility and her wins but she didn't say anything about wanting a fight with her. Santos called her out and threatened her and Rousey responded with derogatory comments about her appearance.

If she wants to defend her honor, her family (that was never threatened) and her sense of self as a female she DOES have to move to 135 since the person she finds a threat fights at that weight and has no reason to move up to give Santos an advantage.

I have no problem separating an athletes actions and words outside of their sport from what they do in their respective fields of play. I don't care that Tiger Woods slept with everything he could find in a skirt, I don't care that Michael Vick ran a dog fighting ring, I don't care that Jon Jones is a hypocrite and I don't care that Ronda Rousey say's insanely stupid things quite frequently or to use your term is "morally bankrupt"

Those athletes moral short comings haven't affected the careers of others as Santos' have.

Oh. Okay. Well, since it's pretty clear that you have special rules for everyone and have no moral compass of your own, I suppose a discussion about standards and morals is a pointless one, eh?

You have an excuse for everyone and everything. You have minimized everything that took place and will continue to argue that Cyborg has not been treated differently when I have proven time and time again that she has been treated differently.

I'm not sure how you can reconcile some of these things in your head, but I don't have that ability. When another fighter says that you have no skill whatsoever and the only reason you ever won a fight is because you cheated, that is calling someone out.

You just like to live in a make-pretend world where everything for Ronda exists on a technicality.

Since the beginning of time, questioning another person's accomplishments and saying that they have no skill has been a way to disrespectfully call out your opponent.

I'm not going to listen to this meaning drivel you're presenting suggesting that Ronda's comments weren't a blatant attempt at disrespecting Cyborg. When someone else's name leaves your mouth in a disrespectful fashion, you're calling them out. It has been that way on the streets, in prison, in the mob, and basically every combat sport known to man.

Last edited 8/14/12 3:45PM server time by blueskiesburn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #40   8/14/12 3:28:44PM   

FlashyG

MMA Sensei

FlashyG Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Oh. Okay. Well, since it's pretty clear that you have special rules for everyone and have no moral compass of your own, I suppose a discussion about standards and morals is a pointless one, eh?

You have an excuse for everyone and everything. You have minimized everything that took place and will continue to argue that Cyborg has not been treated differently when I have proven time and time again that she has been treated differently.

I'm not sure how you can reconcile some of these things in your head, but I don't have that ability. When another fighter says that you have no skill whatsoever and the only reason you ever won a fight is because you cheated, that is calling someone out.

You just like to live in a make-pretend world where everything for Ronda exists on a technicality.

Since the beginning of time, questioning another person's accomplishments and saying that they have no skill has been a way to disrespectfully call out your opponent.

I'm not going to listen to this meaning drivel you're presenting suggesting that Ronda's comments weren't a blatant attempt at disrespecting Cyborg. When someone else's name leaves your mouth in a disrespectful fashion, you're calling them out. It has been that way on the streets, in prison, in the mob, and basically every combat sport known to man.

Now that you've resorted to attacking me personally, I'm going to respectfully leave this discussion.

We've both expressed our points and its hard to discuss anything with someone who's opinions are apparently facts.

All I've taken away from this discussion is that the site needs an ignore function.

Post #41   8/14/12 4:04:22PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by FlashyG

You just basically lost all creadibility I gave you on this site for your comments in this thread. Considering you've brought up how highly educated you are in other threads your comments in your last post project you as an opinionated child who doesn't know when to leave an argument.

Last edited 8/14/12 4:18PM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #42   8/14/12 4:17:13PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Now that you've resorted to attacking me personally, I'm going to respectfully leave this discussion.

We've both expressed our points and its hard to discuss anything with someone who's opinions are apparently facts.

All I've taken away from this discussion is that the site needs an ignore function.

Right, because my first attempts at a rational discussion with you went SO well. Here's what I've learned from this conversation, I no longer need to be a member of this site.

Post #43   8/14/12 4:17:42PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by SmileR

You just basically lost all creadibility I gave you on this stie for your comments in this thread. Considering you've brought up how highly educated you are in other threads your comments in your last post project you as an opinionated child who can't admit when you're wrong and doesn't know when leave and argument.

Because I pointed out time and time again that people were saying loads of things on this site about Cyborg that they don't say about any other fighter as a means to illustrate that she is not treated the same?

And when I do, everything is a technicality? "This thread, or this time"

Let's cut the bullshit. She's constantly called butch. She's constantly called ugly. She's constantly called a man. Her kids see this. Her husband saw this.

It's absolutely horrible and I'm sick and tired of seeing people do it. These sorts of attacks on a person are inexcusable in a civilized society. And the fact that so many people are somehow skirting this issue and avoiding it like it hasn't or will not continue to happen is disgusting.

Congratulations, one or two of you may question Cyborg's fights based on simply steroids and steroids alone. That is not what was said in this article and that's not at all what Rousey was saying.

Stop pretending it was anything else.

Post #44   8/14/12 4:21:42PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Chips:
Since I'm friends with all you guys, let me try to be the voice of reason here.

The point that Gord and Tim were making is that Cyborg challenged Rousey to a fight and wants it at a catch weight, but Rousey is the champ and doesn't have to move up in weight for anyone. If Cyborg wants the fight she needs to go to where the champ is. When Josh turned the thread into something about the way Cyborg is judged, I think he looked too deeply into what was being said here, and that was that Cyborg has cheated, therefore she is less credible as an athlete than Ronda. Not as a person or anything like that, but as an athlete, period.

I get what you're saying Josh, Cyborg does get a lot of heat from people for her looks and those things, but this particular discussion wasn't about that at all, the only thing that was brought up was her past steroid use. If someone harasses someone else in a bar, those are fighting words, but Cyborg didn't say she wanted a street fight, she wants to fight in the cage. Since that's the case, she has to play by the rules, and there's no reason for a champ to move up at all, she's earned the right to fight at the weight she holds the strap at.

Post #45   8/14/12 4:30:36PM   

Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4