Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

South Carolina fighter Tyrone Mims dies after amateur debut

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Posted by george112

Posted by Aether

I can't help but think when I hear storied like this that these guys are being allowed to fight in smaller shows without proper medical screening, or maybe that the screenings are not thorough enough to begin with.

these things are few and far in between. I dont think it's the screenings. if something were wrong with him basic blood pressure testing etc . (basically a sports physical) would catch something.

It's like when you hear of kids who have heart attacks at a basketball game or football or soccer or whatever you get the point.

Those kids had to have had a physical that they cleared.

it would be far to costly to look into enlarged hearts and what not just to get cleared to fight

Maybe, but pretty much all of the other deaths have had some shady circumstances surrounding them, IE: One guy got knocked out twice in 32 days, clearly didn't get the proper medical suspension, and another guy had suffered a head injury before entering his fight who also died.

I don't know enough about this particular situation, but nearly every other death I've heard of has had shady medical testing issues surrounding them, so I'm very sceptical about the smaller organizations perhaps letting things slide in favour of not losing fights on their card. We'll have to wait to see what the case was here after autopsies are done and they look into the time leading up to the fight.

Ah like negligence.

I was assuming the drs were honest and ethical guys.

It's totally possible that that's not the case.

Post #16   8/12/12 6:52:44PM   

hymiekooken

MMA Regular

hymiekooken Avatar

Career:162-131
Chips:
i really hope this wasnt due to negligence, or something that got overlooked in a physical..........however I will say I live here in SC, all that seems to matter to the doctors around here when you need to be cleared for something is blood pressure, pee in a cup, thats it. I am not laying blame here, just saying some doctors and medical establishments around these parts leave a lot to be desired.

Post #17   8/12/12 8:19:32PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
If you'd like to donate to help his family cover funeral costs and just in general, the website that hosted the PPV just set a page up:

http://gaboysgritsnglory.com/cast/teesta/

Post #18   8/12/12 8:53:37PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by tallica62

hmm..heart attack at 30..i wonder if they will do toxicology reports?

My friend died of a heart attack when he was 28. Some of the things which can cause heart attacks and clogged blood vessels are attributed to genetics. Combine that with unhealthy lifestyle and you have the recipe for widow making.

The blood vessel which is usually the first to clog is nicknamed widow-maker and I am almost sure it was responsible for this fighter's death.

Post #19   8/13/12 1:24:29AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,297-1,230
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by tallica62

My friend died of a heart attack when he was 28. Some of the things which can cause heart attacks and clogged blood vessels are attributed to genetics. Combine that with unhealthy lifestyle and you have the recipe for widow making.

The blood vessel which is usually the first to clog is nicknamed widow-maker and I am almost sure it was responsible for this fighter's death.

Correct. If the left main artery is completely clogged, it's almost certain death. Since he was so young, and an athlete, I'm guessing that wont be the cause.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #20   8/13/12 12:14:23PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by kopower

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by tallica62

Correct. If the left main artery is completely clogged, it's almost certain death. Since he was so young, and an athlete, I'm guessing that wont be the cause.

It could be a number of things but that is my guess.

Post #21   8/13/12 12:57:59PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2