Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Why Fedor is the greatest HW in MMA history

Print  
Posted By Message

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,519-891
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Video

Nuf said.

Post #1   8/12/12 1:14:46AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
The greatest HW in MMA history (ONLY under the Yakuza rule)

Post #2   8/12/12 2:13:23AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
I agree...for now, and mainly only because he was so dominant in his victories. The only problem I have with Fedor's legacy is the amount of cans he was fed. I know this wasn't his fault, and just PRIDE's way of doing things, but I think it's going to be a tough sell if some of UFC's current hw's start racking up more impressive victories, to continue justifying Fedor as the hw goat.

Post #3   8/12/12 9:22:46AM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:
Fedor is absolutely the greatest HW in my opinion. First of all he dominated everyone in PRIDE. Yea he had a lot of give me fights but he also fought the best. Look at Anderson Silva and who he has fought. Cote, Leites, Maia, James Irvin, Belfort after sitting out for more than a year and a half. People say Fedor wasn't the best because he never fought anyone but look at Silva. When Fedor was in his prime he was the best HW/MMA fighter in general. Yea Fedor lost 3 in a row but no one wants to remember the 30 in a row he won. Yea he didn't go to the UFC but he was in PRIDE which was bigger than the UFC and had the best fighters in the world. And yes... Fedor is my favorite fighter.

Post #4   8/12/12 9:34:10AM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:
Greatest in history debates never lack partiality. It is very difficult to compare two different athletes unless they have competed at the same time and against the same competition. There will always be the Ali, Mayweather, Marciano, etc. debate. Different fighters from different times with great records to show their dominance and why the should be considered the GOAT.

I have never been a fan of Fedor. It upsets me to watch an athlete waste their talents. GSP is another example. A KO loss to Serra put GSP in this constant "Play it safe" mode when he could be going out there and crushing the competition. Back to Fedor, Who has he beat? Lets take a look.

Rizzo
Ishii
Monson
Henderson(Loss)
Silva(Loss)
Werdum(Loss)
Rogers
Arlovski
Sylvia
Hong Man Choi
Lindland
Hunt
Coleman
Martin
Filipovic
Kosaka
Nogueira
Nogueira
Ogawa
Randleman
Coleman
Nagata
Goodridge
Fujita
Valavicius
Nogueira
Herring
Schilt
Haseman
Hasdell
Yanagisawa
Sobral
Schall
Apostolov
Kosoka
Arona
Takada
Lagvilava
Lazarov

Fedor's top 10 fights have been highlighted in bold. Fedor is 7-3 in those fights. Nogueira is 3 of those 7. So, you could argue 5-3 in his top ten fights. You can manipulate the statistics however you like. I am not impressed.

I'll give you one more list.

JDS:
Mir
Velasquez
Carwin
Nelson
Gonzaga
Yvel
Filipovic
Struve
Werdum
Santos
Ferreira
Goncalves
Ferreira
Silva
Maiorino
Santos

JDS's top 10 fights. 10-0. The competition just as tough. Impressive. My point of all of this. Take away the cans and a some records turn to

Post #5   8/12/12 11:49:59AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by MALICE

Greatest in history debates never lack partiality. It is very difficult to compare two different athletes unless they have competed at the same time and against the same competition. There will always be the Ali, Mayweather, Marciano, etc. debate. Different fighters from different times with great records to show their dominance and why the should be considered the GOAT.

I have never been a fan of Fedor. It upsets me to watch an athlete waste their talents. GSP is another example. A KO loss to Serra put GSP in this constant "Play it safe" mode when he could be going out there and crushing the competition. Back to Fedor, Who has he beat? Lets take a look.

Rizzo
Ishii
Monson
Henderson(Loss)
Silva(Loss)
Werdum(Loss)
Rogers
Arlovski
Sylvia
Hong Man Choi
Lindland
Hunt
Coleman
Martin
Filipovic
Kosaka
Nogueira
Nogueira
Ogawa
Randleman
Coleman
Nagata
Goodridge
Fujita
Valavicius
Nogueira
Herring
Schilt
Haseman
Hasdell
Yanagisawa
Sobral
Schall
Apostolov
Kosoka
Arona
Takada
Lagvilava
Lazarov

Fedor's top 10 fights have been highlighted in bold. Fedor is 7-3 in those fights. Nogueira is 3 of those 7. So, you could argue 5-3 in his top ten fights. You can manipulate the statistics however you like. I am not impressed.

I'll give you one more list.

JDS:
Mir
Velasquez
Carwin
Nelson
Gonzaga
Yvel
Filipovic
Struve
Werdum
Santos
Ferreira
Goncalves
Ferreira
Silva
Maiorino
Santos

JDS's top 10 fights. 10-0. The competition just as tough. Impressive. My point of all of this. Take away the cans and a some records turn to

Arlovski, Sylvia and arguably Mark Hunt were top 10 when Fedor beat them. JDS shouldn't have Yvel included, nor, much to my regret, CroCop either by that point.

I am all for being frank about Fedor's legacy, but as you said, we have to take into account eras.

Post #6   8/12/12 12:15:31PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Arlovski, Sylvia and arguably Mark Hunt were top 10 when Fedor beat them. JDS shouldn't have Yvel included, nor, much to my regret, CroCop either by that point.

I am all for being frank about Fedor's legacy, but as you said, we have to take into account eras.

I do not disagree. Arlovski, Hunt, and Sylvia both deserve a certain amount of respect at the time. I felt foolish even including Yvel, but had to fill out JDS's top ten and figured he would do. CroCop as well. I just wanted to emphasize the fact that Fedor has a padded record. Records can be deceiving. He did have a period of time when he was undoubtedly the top HW and top MMArtist. IMO that time has passed. There are new top HWs and new top MMArtists. It can still be argued he is the best HW of all time, or the best MMArtist of all time, but it is obvious he is not on top anymore and he continues to fight cans. What a waste.

Post #7   8/12/12 12:56:15PM   

Lungsofsteel

Belt Contender

Lungsofsteel Avatar

Career:938-594
Camp: JTV All-Stars
Chips:
you forgot to highlight schilt on fedors record

Post #8   8/12/12 1:47:13PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MALICE

Posted by warglory

I do not disagree. Arlovski, Hunt, and Sylvia both deserve a certain amount of respect at the time. I felt foolish even including Yvel, but had to fill out JDS's top ten and figured he would do. CroCop as well. I just wanted to emphasize the fact that Fedor has a padded record. Records can be deceiving. He did have a period of time when he was undoubtedly the top HW and top MMArtist. IMO that time has passed. There are new top HWs and new top MMArtists. It can still be argued he is the best HW of all time, or the best MMArtist of all time, but it is obvious he is not on top anymore and he continues to fight cans. What a waste.

Arlovski, Big Tim, and Mark hunt should have been included in your top ten for Fedor. Replace them with his three loses.

For that matter you could also include Mark Coleman who is a former UFC champ and used to crush people.

Or Kevin Randleman...another UFC champ.

Or Heath Herring, who was a top heavy weight at the time.

Fact of the matter is, you cherry picked who you highlighted and who you didn't. The three loses that you inexplicably included in his top fights were late in Fedor's career when he was OBVIOUSLY no longer in his prime. Those should have nothing to do with his legacy.

Post #9   8/12/12 5:17:58PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

The greatest HW in MMA history (ONLY under the Yakuza rule)

When people like you and Dana bash on Fedor and claim he isn't the greatest you make yourself sound stupid because you can't name a single guy that could take that moniker. I mean look at shitdogs rankings last year, they were hugging zuffa's nuts so hard they actually had Nog at #7 and Fedor is nowhere in the top 10 because they want to polish dana's ego to get credentialed... Or would you just lie and say "There is no greatest HW in MMA" or "Brock Lesnar"

Post #10   8/12/12 7:09:40PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,361-755
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Wow we are still having this talk!

Post #11   8/12/12 8:30:49PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,991-1,181
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by telnights

I know, right

Post #12   8/12/12 9:37:53PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,439-1,253
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by telnights

I know, right

In before page 2.

Post #13   8/12/12 9:51:36PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:
The point wasn't simply to have another debate about who the best HW is.

I saw a cool video and I wanted to share it with the playground community. The reason the thread is titled the way it is is because thats the name of the video.

I didn't mean to beat a dead horse. Just thought some people would enjoy the HL reel.

Post #14   8/12/12 11:13:50PM