Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 150 results, analysis, bonuses: Champ Henderson ekes out split decision vs. Edgar

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,518-1,294
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by telnights

I also scored it 48-47 Henderson. But I wouldn't have been shocked if it had gone the other way or even been a draw. Find it funny some people think Edgar got robbed. Its was a close fight and no one got robbed.

That's funny because in the first fight I had Benson 49-46 and you had Frankie 48-47 if I remember right. This time you had Benson 48-47 and I had Frankie 48-47. At least we know we're not biased. haha

Post #16   8/12/12 7:47:53PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:530-390
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by telnights

I also scored it 48-47 Henderson. But I wouldn't have been shocked if it had gone the other way or even been a draw. Find it funny some people think Edgar got robbed. Its was a close fight and no one got robbed.

That's funny because in the first fight I had Benson 49-46 and you had Frankie 48-47 if I remember right. This time you had Benson 48-47 and I had Frankie 48-47. At least we know we're not biased. haha

That's actually pretty funny, and good to see. I'm pretty taken back by all the people who were in an uproar about Edgar getting robbed too, but I think a lot of that is just people not really understanding how much the division has evolved truthfully since Penn. B.J. was represented as this sort of unbeatable lw when he trained and then this Edgar guy came in and beat him twice so clearly in the public's eye he had claimed the throne. I remember when Rampage knocked Chuck out I was absolutely in denial. I mean I would have argued for days that it was an early stoppage (clearly it wasn't) and then he got robbed in the Jardine fight, and then Rashad hit him with a lucky shot, and then with Shogun it was early stoppage etc... Obviously at some point over that run I had to acknowledge that the guy who I had viewed as sort of "unbeatable" for a significant stretch had not only lost his chin, but had been figured out and surpassed in the sport. The reason people didn't jump on the Rampage is on the top 5 p4p list, or Shogun is on the top 5 p4p list like they did with Frankie is because at that point in time 205 was viewed as the most stacked division in the sport, so there were a lot of guys there who could have been the next big thing (No lesnar reference intended). When Frankie beat B.J. people hadn't realized how much talent was in the 155 division and it felt like to most people at the time that B.J. had run through seeming everyone so clearly when Frankie beat him he was superior to all in that division. It just so happens that there is an incredible amount of depth at 155, B.J. hadn't even come close to cleaning out that division, and with the growth of the sport the UFC has to put great fighters in with their cash cows in order to put on good fights. As mma moves into the mainstream more fully and casual fans begin to see the depth that exists in the division I think they'll appreciate good fights more and more. Right now I think their is still a lot of that naive loyalty that I had toward Chuck toward a lot of guys. GSP is a great fighter, but he can lose, A. Silva is amazing but he can be beaten, Bones Jones is incredible, but he's also beatable. Hopefully by the time those guys lose people will have a better understanding of how the game works and realize that all fighters are beatable, the guy who knocks off "The greatest fighter in the world" didn't robb the champ, or get lucky, or get a home cooked decision, but simply fought a good hard fight. The fight last night was incredibly close and I hope Henderson has great fights with many more guys to come, and I'm not trying to take away from the status Edgar should have had and certainly not trying to diminish Anderson Silva's status, but I do think that the only logical explanation for such outrage over Henderson winning a close decision is naive loyalism and I guess having related to it in the past I figured I'd give my assessment.

Post #17   8/12/12 11:21:08PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
I actually didn't bother scoring after the second round. I personally thought neither guy really wanted it. I thought edgar won but neither guy did much. edgar was just waiting and waiting to counter and looked like he was trying to win by decision which is why i don't feel all that bad for him. Benson wasn't much better refused to really put combinations together and was discouraged by his few takedowns. IMO not a good fight because I just felt there wasn't enough aggression. Even the best counter fighters will engage or at least land the big shot on the way in. neither guy did so and in the end the the decision to me is irrelevant because if either guy fights like that against diaz they won't win. plain and simple.

Post #18   8/13/12 1:49:17AM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Felt Edgar had pulled it off twice now...but from the people I've spoken to that watched it live...they felt Henderson was the clear winner. The big difference being that Frankie's strikes just have no pop on them, but when Henderson struck Frankie the damage behind them was pretty apparent.

Had it 48-47 Frankie, but it's just one of those fights that can go either way, and I also think it's a bout that may appear a little different live compared to watching it on TV.

Post #19   8/13/12 4:24:43PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2