Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

NSAC's Keith Kizer: 'No Way' for Alistair Overeem to Apply Early for License

Print  
Posted By Message

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,667-904
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Speaking optimistically about his future, Alistair Overeem said on Thursday night's MMA Uncensored Live on Spike TV that he and his team would soon go in front of the Nevada state athletic commission (NSAC) with hopes of receiving a conditional license for a possible Dec. 29 heavyweight title fight against champion Junior dos Santos. He even went so far as to say that a date for the meeting had been tentatively set, but not confirmed.

This came as news to the commission's executive director, Keith Kizer, on Friday morning, who told MMA Fighting that while NSAC will hold its regular monthly meeting on August 24, Overeem is not among the scheduled topics of discussion. In fact, he said, he hasn't even heard from anyone in Overeem's camp about putting him on the docket.

"That must be wishful thinking," he said. "He will not be on the agenda."

Furthermore, Kizer said under existing state statutes, Overeem would not be able to apply for a license until December 27, making his eligibility for a fight two days later a near-impossibility. In effect, Kizer said, there is no legal way to grant him an early hearing.

"I see no way to do that. I know of none," he said. "But even if the commission had some discretion to grant some waiver of time, I personally don't see this as the case. I'd be against that. There is some discretion at the commission level, but I don't think this is the case to use that discretion. This is not just a guy who engaged in cheating, but a guy who ran out the front door when the testing was being done."

link

Post #1   8/10/12 3:22:46PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
C'mon Doc.

Last edited 8/10/12 5:44PM server time by twenty20dollars
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #2   8/10/12 4:28:12PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Alistair said all that crap about JDS just to try and pressure the commission into letting up early.

just shutup and do the time. You yourself caused this

Post #3   8/10/12 4:39:37PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by george112

Alistair said all that crap about JDS just to try and pressure the commission into letting up early.

Taker ease on my Boy R33M, George I dont wanna start in on another topic with a bunch of ppl haten on one of the best heavy weights in the world he made a mistake we know it and so does he.

Post #4   8/10/12 5:30:40PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:917-519
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by sparky

Posted by george112

Taker ease on my Boy R33M, George I dont wanna start in on another topic with a bunch of ppl haten on one of the best heavy weights in the world he made a mistake we know it and so does he.

I wouldn't call it a mistake, it's more of a bad choice by his part. Reem was already under scrutiny from the Athletic Commission, you'd think he would be extra careful in anything he did or took while he was under the microscope. It's not like it is just speculation about Reem having had used PED's, since he tested positive now. So now he has whatever people have to say about him. Can't defend stupid, believe me I know, I'm a Nick Diaz fan....

Post #5   8/10/12 5:50:19PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:

Posted by sparky

Posted by george112

If he knows he made the mistake then he should know that he shouldn't get early time off.

Post #6   8/10/12 6:32:00PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,275-1,535
Chips:
He beat Lesnar when Brock was at his worst. He luckily beat Werdum but every other heavyweight he has beaten in the last 6 years have been tomato cans, lower tier guys or downright has beens. The last formidable opponent he beat besides Lesnar and Werdum was Vitor Belfort 6 years ago. I think Overeem is Overrated. The fact that Overeem is in consideration for a future title shot is a sure indicator that the UFC HW division is about as deep as a thimble when it comes to top of the line HWs. dos Santos and Velasquez cleaned out the HW division and put everyone in their proper places on the ladder. I think Overeem should face the winner of dos Santos/Velasquez II. What he is pulling now is just more typical drama from him. Drama follows him around like a shadow.

Last edited 8/10/12 10:21PM server time by Sir_Karl
Edit note/reason: spelling correction

Post #7   8/10/12 10:20:17PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by george112

his 9 month suspension was started from march 27 so it is up n december 27.. so he is doing his time. if his suspension is up on the 27, why can't he fight on the 29???? that is why he is applying for early licensing so he can fight on the new years card, not so he can get his 9 months reduced. i see his point; why wait months after his suspension is over when he can fight before that. 9 months is 9 months so he should be allowed to fight on the new years card if you ask me

Last edited 8/10/12 11:32PM server time by manak

Post #8   8/10/12 11:30:06PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Face it UBER - - - get ready to fight in 2013.

Post #9   8/11/12 2:09:27AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Chips:
Couldn't he just, I don't know, fight in a different state under a difference commish?

Post #10   8/11/12 11:53:31AM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:917-519
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Couldn't he just, I don't know, fight in a different state under a difference commish?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think each Athletic Commission honors what another one hands out. Unless of course were talking the . European circuit

Post #11   8/11/12 1:03:06PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Chips:

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by airkerma

I'm not 100% sure, but I think each Athletic Commission honors what another one hands out. Unless of course were talking the . European circuit

Not just that but Dana said that they will honor each as well

Post #12   8/11/12 1:07:48PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Manak

Posted by george112

his 9 month suspension was started from march 27 so it is up n december 27.. so he is doing his time. if his suspension is up on the 27, why can't he fight on the 29???? that is why he is applying for early licensing so he can fight on the new years card, not so he can get his 9 months reduced. i see his point; why wait months after his suspension is over when he can fight before that. 9 months is 9 months so he should be allowed to fight on the new years card if you ask me

My point is he did this to himself.

he would have no problem fighting on the 29th hadn't he messed up with his trt.

These are the consequences of his actions. the dominoe effect hopefully will be ended whenever he gets his new license

Last edited 8/11/12 1:19PM server time by george112

Post #13   8/11/12 1:16:53PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,916-1,093
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

He beat Lesnar when Brock was at his worst. He luckily beat Werdum but every other heavyweight he has beaten in the last 6 years have been tomato cans, lower tier guys or downright has beens. The last formidable opponent he beat besides Lesnar and Werdum was Vitor Belfort 6 years ago. I think Overeem is Overrated. The fact that Overeem is in consideration for a future title shot is a sure indicator that the UFC HW division is about as deep as a thimble when it comes to top of the line HWs. dos Santos and Velasquez cleaned out the HW division and put everyone in their proper places on the ladder. I think Overeem should face the winner of dos Santos/Velasquez II. What he is pulling now is just more typical drama from him. Drama follows him around like a shadow.

To be fair, a big part of the hype was that he managed to win the K-1 World Gran Prix and split 1-1 with Badr Hari during that time as well.

Post #14   8/11/12 1:33:45PM