Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jon Fitch Calls B.J. Penn a 'Coward,' Says He's Not Welcome at AKA

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Jon Fitch clearly still wants a rematch with B.J. Penn. And he doesn't want the future UFC Hall of Famer anywhere near the American Kickboxing Academy gym.

The veteran welterweight is scheduled to face up-and-coming star Erick Silva at UFC 153 in Brazil on Oct. 13, but the San Jose, Calif.-based fighter wants another crack at the former UFC lightweight and welterweight champion, whom he fought to a majority draw in 2011.

On Tuesday, Fitch used a conference call designed to push AKA's new "Fight Factory" reality series on Nuvo TV to dog Penn, calling him a "coward."

Link

Post #1   8/8/12 8:36:49PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:
"Here at AKA, we've got fighters who come out to fight, fighters who will face anyone and don't hide from any opponents. You've also got cowards out there like B.J. Penn who say they want to fight people, but then they run and hide."

hmmmm.....you sure about that Jonny?

Post #2   8/8/12 8:38:34PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,411-771
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
WOW I guess Jon sets the rules at AKA. He is not helping the image of his camp at all by doing this.

Post #3   8/8/12 8:40:12PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:
Is it just me or has the drama, accusations, name-calling, call-outs, etc. reached an all time high in mma?

Post #4   8/8/12 8:45:07PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MALICE

Is it just me or has the drama, accusations, name-calling, call-outs, etc. reached an all time high in mma?

Yeah, it has. I wish they would just get back to shutting up and just letting their fists and feet do the talking. Some of it is entertaining tho

Post #5   8/8/12 8:48:00PM   

fonduktoe

In Full Mount

fonduktoe Avatar

Career:1,539-952
Camp: The Tokyo Bacon Wolves
Chips:
yeah penn is notorious for ducking people.gimme a break...fitch just made himself look like an elitist douche.

Post #6   8/8/12 9:01:52PM   

hymiekooken

MMA Regular

hymiekooken Avatar

Career:162-131
Chips:
I have pulled against Penn in almost all of his fights, so lets just say I am not a fan of his. But Penn is definitely not a coward. He has fought top level competition in almost every fight I have watched. Mabye Fitch has something personal against him, but after this, would love to see a rematch between the two. And for the first time ever, I will be pulling for Penn and hoping he bashes Jon's face in.

Post #7   8/8/12 9:10:01PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I'm disappointed in Fitch. When he says things like that he's no better then what he's saying someone else is

make the fight happen. Bj isn't a punk he'll throwdown with Fitch and it's Fitch that is gonna have to hope bj doesn't come with conviction. Never underestimate a former champ. Yeah they may not fight at the same level as they once did but all they need is that one night of being on their game and their dangerous. Ex. Couture

Post #8   8/8/12 9:16:35PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Though I don't necessarily agree with Jon's statement, I will say that he's not totally wrong. He's been publicly lobbying for a rematch since the 1st fight took place. BJ, at one point, was all about it until he got offered the Condit fight that never ended up happening. Jon has stated numerous times that he wants the rematch...BJ seems to ignore it.

He only wants "big" fights and fights that "make sense". Well, depending on who you are, this may or may not be a "big" fight but you can't tell me or convince me that it doesn't make sense.

Post #9   8/8/12 9:27:09PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Chips:
People hate Jon Fitch and his style, that's the only reason they side with Penn.

The way I see it, Fitch won the first fight but it was ruled a draw in a bout where B.J gassed and ended up being dominated the entire third round. B.J not only congratulated Fitch, but even went on to state Fitch won the fight in a moment of humbleness. Rematch was offered, both accepted, fight fell through. Guess what happens? B.J starts running his mouth saying he won the first fight and goes on to bash Fitch a number of times. What does Fitch do? He calls B.J out to reschedule the rematch but B.J turns it down. I can fully understand why Fitch doesn't like the guy.

As far as the camp goes, a lot of them are run as a brotherhood. They share sweat, tears, and blood. They are family, a family B.J deserted long ago. Why let someone who left back in who will cause tension within the team?

Post #10   8/8/12 9:38:36PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by fonduktoe

yeah penn is notorious for ducking people.gimme a break...fitch just made himself look like an elitist douche.

he recently has refused to fight Koscheck and Fitch (again), and I think he turned down a fight with Melendez in SF.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #11   8/8/12 10:24:47PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Jon gets what he wants he has gym Senority

Post #12   8/8/12 10:25:09PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

People hate Jon Fitch and his style, that's the only reason they side with Penn.

The way I see it, Fitch won the first fight but it was ruled a draw in a bout where B.J gassed and ended up being dominated the entire third round. B.J not only congratulated Fitch, but even went on to state Fitch won the fight in a moment of humbleness. Rematch was offered, both accepted, fight fell through. Guess what happens? B.J starts running his mouth saying he won the first fight and goes on to bash Fitch a number of times. What does Fitch do? He calls B.J out to reschedule the rematch but B.J turns it down. I can fully understand why Fitch doesn't like the guy.

As far as the camp goes, a lot of them are run as a brotherhood. They share sweat, tears, and blood. They are family, a family B.J deserted long ago. Why let someone who left back in who will cause tension within the team?

^^This exactly

Post #13   8/8/12 10:33:09PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:
Penn is not the champ. Penn is not near a title shot. He is not even on a title run. There is a difference between a champ picking his fights, a potential contender picking his fights, and a legend near the end of their career picking his fights.

IMO, if you are on a title run, you fight anyone they put in front of you until you are deserving of that title shot. If you are the champ, you fight the toughest contenders who have earned a title shot. Penn may only have a few more fights in his career. If you were at the end of your career, would you want to fight someone you have already fought who is considered by many to be a boring fighter, or would you look for more exciting matchups?

Some fighters would never think twice about turning down a single fight. Some fighters may want to have a say in their last fights. Anyone who believes Penn is a coward is just plain foolish. Stubborn, spoiled maybe, but not a coward.

Post #14   8/8/12 10:43:54PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by MALICE

If you were at the end of your career, would you want to fight someone you have already fought who is considered by many to be a boring fighter, or would you look for more exciting matchups?

their last fight was fairly entertaining as it was basically a grappling match between 2 of the best in the division. Penn gassing after 8 minutes made the fight end less spectacular than what it should have been but overall it wasnt terrible, though definitely not main event worthy

People would tune in to watch Penn fight, and they would also tune in to hopefully watch Fitch lose 2 fights in a row to put him way down the WW ladder. Fitch isn't content with a draw on his record, but maybe Penn is considering how bad he got beat in the last half of the fight.

Last edited 8/8/12 11:06PM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #15   8/8/12 11:05:59PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3