Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Hector Lombard Says He Fought Injured Against Tim Boetsch at UFC 149

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,939-1,156
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Former Bellator champion turned UFC middleweight Hector Lombard has now revealed he wasn’t nearly 100-percent as he headed into his Octagon debut against Tim Boetsch at UFC 149.

Following a lackluster performance that saw him come out on the losing end of a decision to Boetsch in July, Lombard now says that he actually went into the fight quite injured.

The injury will now force him to sit out an additional six-weeks before returning to training.

“I want to let all my fans know. I fought my last fight injured. I wasnt 100% sure but I went to the doctors, I have a fracture sternum with a torn cartilage,” Lombard wrote on his Facebook page on Wednesday.

Link

Post #1   8/8/12 8:32:00PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,205-781
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Post #2   8/8/12 9:09:33PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:860-491
Chips:
I thought Tito retired???

Post #3   8/8/12 9:34:55PM   

hymiekooken

MMA Regular

hymiekooken Avatar

Career:162-131
Chips:

Posted by BuffaloDave

I thought Tito retired???

I am not nessecarily calling him a liar about the injury, but c'mon dude. I feel like after a fight has happened and you try to make excuses, you are trying to take something away from the fact that your opponent on that night won the fight. Even if you fought hurt, you still chose to fight, so if you lose, lose with no excuses. Hardly anyone is ever a full 100 percent come fight time, even if it is not a broken bone. Evey fighter will tell you that. Instead of making an excuse, hope for another fight in the UFC, he will probably get it, and quietly go out there and beat somebodies ass. This is the one thing I cannot stand about certain fighters, when they have a laundry list of reasons they lost the fight, other than just manning up and saying, so and so was the better fighter on this night. Buffalodave, apparently Tito did not retire.

Post #4   8/8/12 9:45:39PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Well the fight still sucked and I still haven't watched it.

Post #5   8/8/12 9:58:09PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
To play devil's advocate, this sounds more like an explanation rather than an excuse. What would you guys have said if this fight was scrapped a couple weeks before the event took place because Lombard pulled out? Like 20 changes had to be made to the card already and maybe he didn't want to add to it and further fuck over the paying fanbase.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #6   8/8/12 10:31:26PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:722-438
Chips:
If this is true, it just shows he underestimated Tim as well. Why else would he go into a fight injured and risk his silly winning streak? Not for the fans, not for Dana; from the sounds of it , Lombard is only out for himself.

This reeks of excuses to me, Lombard is feeling sorry for himself.

Post #7   8/8/12 10:37:28PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by infestructure

If this is true, it just shows he underestimated Tim as well. Why else would he go into a fight injured and risk his silly winning streak? Not for the fans, not for Dana; from the sounds of it , Lombard is only out for himself.

This reeks of excuses to me, Lombard is feeling sorry for himself.

It is rare that a fighter does not step into the Octagon without some sort of physical problem. "100%" is an anomaly - especially before last year, when the UFC's health policy would only cover injuries sustained within the cage and not, as it does now, cover its contracted fighters each and every day. (That is one reason there is an uptick in "injured fighters" this year.)

As for Lombard, It is hard to gauge the situation accurately because his losses are few and far between. He may be just stating the truth. Unfortunately, fight fans have seen enough serial excuse-makers, Tito Ortiz being the most prolific example, to sour our tastes whenever anybody mentions having competed with a nagging problem.

Post #8   8/8/12 11:20:35PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i can see this being true, that doesnt mean the fans want an excuse. he needs to heal up and pull off a huge KO in his next fight in order to prove himself. i think telling everybody he was injured has only put more pressure on him to perform in his next fight. never was a lombard fan. i was glad to see tim come away with the victory.

Post #9   8/8/12 11:26:06PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

To play devil's advocate, this sounds more like an explanation rather than an excuse. What would you guys have said if this fight was scrapped a couple weeks before the event took place because Lombard pulled out? Like 20 changes had to be made to the card already and maybe he didn't want to add to it and further fuck over the paying fanbase.

If they somehow knew the fight was going to be like that then I'm sure they wouldn't have minded.

You could still probably go out there and brawl and swing wild or something, leave it all out there.

Post #10   8/8/12 11:31:35PM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:
Alot of guys/gals go into the cage injured. excuse or explanation doesnt matter...you knew what u signed up for when u entered mma.

Post #11   8/8/12 11:39:22PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,763-1,032
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Tim Boetsch got the W.

That's all that matters and that's all people should remember.

Post #12   8/8/12 11:47:02PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:722-438
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

Tim Boetsch got the W.

A few years from now that's all people will remember. Just another dude who wasn't all that after he got to the big leagues.

Post #13   8/9/12 12:08:22AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 38-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,675-1,472
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

Tim Boetsch got the W.

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've read on here to date no disrespect bro but like if that's the case then ppl shouldn't wine at all when a fighter gets robbed IE shogun/machida 1 they should just remember machida won even though he lost

Post #14   8/9/12 6:20:05AM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,202-1,233
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It's a bit of a catch-22. I don't want fighters making excuses (not saying he is), but I also want to know if he was injured going in, as it will make a difference to me when i evaluate him for his next fight.

Post #15   8/9/12 9:11:16AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2