Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

A couple of firsts

Print  
Posted By Message

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
I've been training UFC and I can totally kick all your asses.

Jokes, I have been taking bjj for a few months now, just long enough so that when some newer guys come in, I can handle them, and I'm not getting dominated by everyone anymore.

So I've hit a few armbars and a rear naked or two, but last night I nailed a triangle and an arm-triangle. I could hear Rogan in my head when I got the arm-triangle saying "Now, what he needs to do, is step over"

It's not really a big deal but it felt so good. I can't wait to learn more everything.

On the other side of the spectrum, I bet I tapped 7-8 times last night, all because of leaving my arms vulnerable. Guys can really lock your shit up quickfast.

Post #1   8/7/12 6:21:50PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Nice one bro, congrats. I really want to train some BJJ but my flexibility is buggered due to arthritis. Can't even sit cross-legged.

Me and the wife try triangles on each all the time, she's getting darn good at it. Armbars too, Now gotta try the Gogoplata.

Post #2   8/7/12 6:33:41PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
Congrats man. I have been training on and off at a local BJJ Gym. A buddy of mine gets me in there very cheap when I can show up. I have progressing pretty decent as well. Id say Im better at attempting and finishing the submissions then getting in the position to do so...(if that makes sense how i typed it). I need some work with my grappling. I wish i could get to that gym more, its a stress reducer and its always fun. Great group of guys their to work out and train with. Right now BJJ for me is simply a hobby, and i love it.

Post #3   8/7/12 6:36:57PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:

Posted by infestructure

Nice one bro, congrats. I really want to train some BJJ but my flexibility is buggered due to arthritis. Can't even sit cross-legged.

Me and the wife try triangles on each all the time, she's getting darn good at it. Armbars too, Now gotta try the Gogoplata.

I practice stuff like that on my wife all the time. She doesnt fight back tho so its not fun...in fact its frustrating. HA

Post #4   8/7/12 6:38:47PM   

backalley101

bARE pALM bOMBS

backalley101 Avatar

Career:2,124-1,304
Chips:
I have never really trained in any specific disciplines, but I have had many friends that wrestled, took martial arts, and been in the military. I picked up a few things from my buddies here and there. I was trying to show my wife some moves, how to counteract a person grabbing her head or hair. I showed her the move, and she grabbed me by the neck, and kneed me in the face. She said, "Like this?". I mean, she full-force hit me in the forehead. I was seeing stars. She almost knocked me out. I don't teach her stuff anymore. JK still do

Last edited 8/7/12 7:27PM server time by backalley101
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   8/7/12 7:25:14PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Chips:
My girl choked me out with a standing guillotine a few weeks ago.

Post #6   8/7/12 7:45:37PM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,278-676
Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Jokes, I have been taking bjj for a few months now, just long enough so that when some newer guys come in, I can handle them, and I'm not getting dominated by everyone anymore.

So I've hit a few armbars and a rear naked or two, but last night I nailed a triangle and an arm-triangle. I could hear Rogan in my head when I got the arm-triangle saying "Now, what he needs to do, is step over"

That's good stuff man. I've really been wanting to get into BJJ myself. My Brother trains here in Southeast Michigan (Detroit Suburb area).
He'll be competing in the Chicago Summer International Open IBJJF (International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation) Championship August 18th.
Look into it. It might be something you'd be interested in.

Post #7   8/7/12 8:52:26PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Chips:

Posted by JLS1980

Posted by Gogoplatapus

That's good stuff man. I've really been wanting to get into BJJ myself. My Brother trains here in Southeast Michigan (Detroit Suburb area).
He'll be competing in the Chicago Summer International Open IBJJF (International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation) Championship August 18th.
Look into it. It might be something you'd be interested in.

Hardest part was going the first time, easiest part was going the second.

Post #8   8/7/12 11:49:20PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i think i spent my first year of jits just trying to survive. i was the same as you, rarely got any subs and got subbed constantly. but all the sudden i felt like i was starting to get it, and then felt my self progress fairly quickly. the beginning is hands down the hardest part. keep it up man

Post #9   8/8/12 1:49:01AM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,278-676
Chips:
Hardest part was going the first time, easiest part was going the second.

That is what I hear. My Brother tells me the same exact stuff.
I'm eventually gonna start training. Timing is my biggest issue. I hit the gym(weights, core, cardio) regularly. It's just work, small child and other priorities holding me back right now. But can't wait to be able to fit bjj in the mix.
Keep up the good work man and good luck.

Post #10   8/8/12 8:47:48AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:691-382
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i've been goin to bjj classes for about 3 months now, grappling is so much fun and an awesome workout.

i remember my second class, i came in on a saturday at the wrong time and there where all these guys with no gi's but they had the proper skins.
they were all purple belts and above lol and im thinking to myself at the time '' i watch alot of mma i should be able to hang with these guys''
we started off with drills and i was totally lost because these guys were just so advanced...eventually came the grappling, did about 4x5 min rounds. i was gettin subbed around 2-3 times every round some by guys i outweighed by atleast 15kg.

Anyways, i had a whole new respect for bjj and grappling that day. It's starting to come together and understanding the game more and more.

Post #11   8/13/12 8:25:33AM