Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

What is Shogun's deal?

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:

Posted by lll-lll

He is starting to make himself look aweful. He basically got punked out by Dana twice in the last couple months. He first got called out for ducking Glover, then last night Dana all but pubically questioned his heart when he awarded Machida the fight. He about lost to Brandon Vera and GASSED MAJORLY AGAIN!!!! His camp sits by while Machida's camp is begging for a title shot and he says nothing at the presser about the decision other than to wish Machida well. Does he even care? I have always respected the guy as a fighter, though I do not like him or hsi fans at all. He still has fought and beaten some of the best. But IMO he is beginning to look like crap in the cage and a mental midget out of it. Did Jon Jones break him? The guy looked horrible through this whole Glover/Vera situation and realistically should have walked through both Henderson and Vera. If he doesnt do something soon his legacy is going to be trash.

Starting to make himself look awful? In his last 8 fights (5-3), 5 wins via KO or TKO. 2 Dec Losses to Machida and Henderson are debatable, Machida revenged Round 1 KO. Other loss to Jones (Got rocked early, was never right)

Still with the ducking Glover, it's hilarious that there's those out there that spew the "Dana says or said", that's equal to "I read on the internet".... So Shogun doesn't verbally beg for a title shot must mean he doesn't want it. I see. Some pretty BIG BALLS on anybody to question Shoguns heart, like really?

Shogun's a Mental Midget, that should have walked through Dan Henderson? Faack man, good to see your not afraid to just blast away with comments when you clearly haven't a grasp on the reality of things.

Post #16   8/6/12 1:09:03AM   

MuayThaiGeek13

MMA Regular

Career:115-75
Chips:
He shows up to fight and gets paid. If he wins he gets paid more.

Post #17   8/6/12 9:21:10AM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Shogun beats everyone in the 205 division EXCEPT Jon Jones.......he could have easily won the decision against Henderson, (that was a coin flip on who won) so what is his deal you ask?

Go smack yourself upside the head TS.

He looked a little tired during the fight, big freakin' deal, it's just a testament to Vera's ability to take a punch.

Machida couldn't finish a fat, lazy, freeway chasing Rampage....so what's his deal?

Failure....you should change your screen name to 000-000

Show some respect to a legend.

Post #18   8/6/12 11:18:00AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Well, you can track the majority of his bad performances back to injuries and recovery periods.

Difficult to keep your cardio in top shape when your knees explode every 3 months or so. If the guy hadn't been plagued with injuries I have little doubt that he would've been the UFC champ a lot sooner than he was and for a lot longer.

This.

This is why he's looked like shit. And I agree with MALICE about looking like crap in Henderson-Rua. He did. They both did. They somehow managed to make it look absolutely amazing.

Simply put, Shogun's body can't do what he wants it to do any longer. I think the cumulative effect of all the breaks and tears has taken its toll. This happens to some people in sports. Guys look like they are or could be great, but their body has other ideas.

Chad Pennington, Brandon Roy, Greg Oden (Probably not), but you get the idea. Sometimes a great fighter just has crappy luck and body that doesn't match his heart and talent. It sucks, but it happens.

Post #19   8/6/12 3:49:55PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,352-1,258
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
He has no cardio

I think he should face Evans or gustaffson next

Post #20   8/6/12 9:03:05PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
its very easy to be gassed when fighting Henderson after eating a couple H-bombs and nearly being finished for half of round 3...but then explain how he completely dominated round 5 where Hendo had zero left in his gas tank.

and what good would bitching and complaining do at the press conference?

Last edited 8/7/12 1:07AM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #21   8/7/12 1:05:57AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,849-1,024
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Eddie Murphy disagrees. All arguments are invalid.

Post #22   8/7/12 5:38:35AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Eddie Murphy disagrees. All arguments are invalid.

whoa

Post #23   8/7/12 7:50:28AM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:

Posted by crushedbacon

Posted by lll-lll

He is starting to make himself look aweful. He basically got punked out by Dana twice in the last couple months. He first got called out for ducking Glover, then last night Dana all but pubically questioned his heart when he awarded Machida the fight. He about lost to Brandon Vera and GASSED MAJORLY AGAIN!!!! His camp sits by while Machida's camp is begging for a title shot and he says nothing at the presser about the decision other than to wish Machida well. Does he even care? I have always respected the guy as a fighter, though I do not like him or hsi fans at all. He still has fought and beaten some of the best. But IMO he is beginning to look like crap in the cage and a mental midget out of it. Did Jon Jones break him? The guy looked horrible through this whole Glover/Vera situation and realistically should have walked through both Henderson and Vera. If he doesnt do something soon his legacy is going to be trash.

Starting to make himself look awful? In his last 8 fights (5-3), 5 wins via KO or TKO. 2 Dec Losses to Machida and Henderson are debatable, Machida revenged Round 1 KO. Other loss to Jones (Got rocked early, was never right)

Still with the ducking Glover, it's hilarious that there's those out there that spew the "Dana says or said", that's equal to "I read on the internet".... So Shogun doesn't verbally beg for a title shot must mean he doesn't want it. I see. Some pretty BIG BALLS on anybody to question Shoguns heart, like really?

Shogun's a Mental Midget, that should have walked through Dan Henderson? Faack man, good to see your not afraid to just blast away with comments when you clearly haven't a grasp on the reality of things.

Oh wow, look its a totally unbiased Shogun nuthugger. Complete with Shogun avatard, excuses or denial of every loss, posters on his wall and Shoguns wang planted firmly in his...... Anyways......

Why is it a grown man (I assume you are grown) has to nutride a fighter like this? I have a list of favorites such as Jones, Arlovski, Cain, Gray, Arona, Glover, and many more. You will NEVER catch me making excuses for their losses or spewing on like this garbage here. Arlovski has the worst chin ever. I htink Cain's is bad as well. Glover will have issues with speed and size. Id guess Jones and Gust slaughter him. Gray has been boring in manyh fights. Arona is the most boring fighter in MMA history! I can enjoy watching fighters without becoming a 5 year old. Why cant everyone?

Post #24   8/8/12 10:19:16AM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

its very easy to be gassed when fighting Henderson after eating a couple H-bombs and nearly being finished for half of round 3...but then explain how he completely dominated round 5 where Hendo had zero left in his gas tank.

and what good would bitching and complaining do at the press conference?

Apparently it would have gotten him a title shot. Machida begged for the shot and got it. We all know how Dana is. We've seen TUF and him letting guys back in who show they want it. Its not rocket science. machida and his people understood what it took to get a rematch. many people have asked for a shot and gotten one. GSP for example.

Post #25   8/8/12 10:25:41AM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Chips:
Ill call it now, when Shoguns deal is up he leaves the UFC. He strikes me as a guy who is ready to move back to Japan or to somewhere that he can be a big fish in a small pond.

Post #26   8/8/12 10:29:54AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by lll-lll

I can enjoy watching fighters without becoming a 5 year old. Why cant everyone?

Post #27   8/8/12 11:54:57AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,220-792
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

I am the opposite of most here.....I think it is under training in the cardio department. He is a big star in a camp where he is the big dog and most likely no one tells him when he is messing up. If he changex camps that refocused him on all aspects of Muay Thai (instead of just boxing with leg kicks) and general conditioning he could be a destroyer again.

jae_1833 said it first

i also think its an under training department. Wanderlie has the exact same problem.

these guys need to hit the treadmill or something. Time after time after time.

There are plenty of fighters who are just as big take just as much damage but have outstanding cardio. Or atleast enough cardio to not look totally sloppy the last 2 rounds.

Post #28   8/8/12 11:56:10AM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Chips:
[

Oh wow, look its a totally unbiased Shogun nuthugger. Complete with Shogun avatard, excuses or denial of every loss, posters on his wall and Shoguns wang planted firmly in his...... Anyways......

Why is it a grown man (I assume you are grown) has to nutride a fighter like this? I have a list of favorites such as Jones, Arlovski, Cain, Gray, Arona, Glover, and many more. You will NEVER catch me making excuses for their losses or spewing on like this garbage here. Arlovski has the worst chin ever. I htink Cain's is bad as well. Glover will have issues with speed and size. Id guess Jones and Gust slaughter him. Gray has been boring in manyh fights. Arona is the most boring fighter in MMA history! I can enjoy watching fighters without becoming a 5 year old. Why cant everyone?

5 year old? Dude, re-read your opening paragraph, and then you conclude you're post with a lesson in maturity. Right...

Is it possible for someone to be a fan, without having guys like you coin people as "nuthuggers" & "nutrider's" ? I hate that term, but you clearly seem to enjoy it, as a member of a fight camp called The UFC Nutrider's...fitting.

By "nutriding" , I'm assuming you mean when I re-hashed his last 8 fights. Does saying the Henderson/Machida decisions were really close and could have went either way make me a biased "nuthugger" Or was it saying that Shogun was rocked early in the Jones fight and wasn't right after that do it? I'm not saying Shogun can take Jones out, I just think he was rocked early and can put a better performance in then he did @ 128.

So what I've gathered from you're post.... from you're persepctive if you display the ability to be critical of a fighter you support, that will clear you of being coined a "nuthugger". So if that's the magic button in you're little bizzaro world...

Ok, Shogun has next to zero TDD, and in long war's get's tired. Feel better?

Oh I recognize the reality of things, that's why your comments.... "Shogun looks awful, ducked Glover, has no heart, doesn''t even want the title shot, mental midget, should have walked through Henderson etc. had to be responded to.

As Chael_Sonnen said earlier, show some respect for a legend.

Post #29   8/8/12 4:39:24PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:
Shogun has terrible endurance(anaerobic), but i think his conditioning(aerobic) is actually pretty decent. That's why he can be sluggish once he's exerted himself a little trying to get a finish, but still sustain that pace until the end.

Whereas Henderson is like the exact opposite. Henderson can sustain his go for the kill pace for a long time, but when that's over he's done. You'll see his energy level drop significantly once he's peaked.

For a mental picture, think Fight night champions. How long it takes the permanent energy bar to run out is Aerobic, and how quick the bar goes down temporarily when you punch is Anaerobic. Shogun throws a 6 strike combo, and he's visibly winded. Hendo throws a hellacious fury and still has energy to keep going. But on the flip side, as a fight progresses, Hendo's gas tank is much smaller in the later rounds, and Shogun looks as sluggish as he did in round 2.

With that said, Shogun still hits incredibly hard, evidenced by the fact that he can knock you out cold while he's winded.

Post #30   8/8/12 6:26:22PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3