Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

What is Shogun's deal?

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:
He is starting to make himself look aweful. He basically got punked out by Dana twice in the last couple months. He first got called out for ducking Glover, then last night Dana all but pubically questioned his heart when he awarded Machida the fight. He about lost to Brandon Vera and GASSED MAJORLY AGAIN!!!! His camp sits by while Machida's camp is begging for a title shot and he says nothing at the presser about the decision other than to wish Machida well. Does he even care? I have always respected the guy as a fighter, though I do not like him or hsi fans at all. He still has fought and beaten some of the best. But IMO he is beginning to look like crap in the cage and a mental midget out of it. Did Jon Jones break him? The guy looked horrible through this whole Glover/Vera situation and realistically should have walked through both Henderson and Vera. If he doesnt do something soon his legacy is going to be trash.

Post #1   8/5/12 9:30:20PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:
Rua has had 9 fights in the UFC. IMO, in 5 of those performances he looked awful. Griffin 1, Coleman, Jones, Henderson, and Vera. Yes, Rua/Henderson was fight of the year, but he gassed early and fought sluggish the majority of the fight. Much like he did last night against Vera. I don't think his heart is the question; in the Vera and Henderson fights he was fighting on nothing but heart.

IMO, there is something very very wrong with his conditioning. What that problem is, I have no idea?

Post #2   8/5/12 9:45:43PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,509-889
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Everybody fades eventually, Vera was tired as shit and has better Muay Thai and has better wrestling. The fight was as expected Shogun either by KO early or it's going to be a struggle. Either he destroys or he leaves all he has in the ring what do you hate about.

Post #3   8/5/12 9:54:43PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 42-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,914-1,601
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by MALICE

IMO, there is something very very wrong with his conditioning. What that problem is, I have no idea?

I agree 100 %

If there is one thing Shogun does have it's heart

Post #4   8/5/12 9:56:58PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,509-889
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I think he's just over trained and been beat up too much in his career he hasn't been the same since the first Machida fight, maybe Machida broke him.

Post #5   8/5/12 9:57:42PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,331-1,251
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Definetly can't question his heart. My guess on his gassing is the cumulative amount of damage taken over the course of his career, and I'm sure the surgeries don't help either. I don't think his legacy is in danger. Sure, he's had a few stinker fights early, but he's looked decent after those. He has beaten some top guys in the UFC. Can't take that away from him.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #6   8/5/12 10:04:35PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:
Im not questioning his heart in fights, but outside the cage. First off he supposedly ducks Glover, but then he jumps at the chance to fight Vera within a day or so. Shoguns camp made some lame excuse about rank, when Vera is at best no better ranked than Glover rank wise. Be real now, that rank excuse was BS once they took the Vera fight. Then he drops a stinker vs a guy who he was set up to walk through and possibly earn a title shot. At the post fight presser Dana claims Machidas camp has been chomping at the bit to get a rematch with Jones, which in turn makes it seem that Shogun's camp is in no hurry to get back to Jones. Which is funny because that was their reasoning for ducking Glover, he did nothing for them in terms of rank, and Shogun was making his way back for the title. Now it seems he isnt exactly jumping at the chance to get a shot. Shogun does nothing to dispell the notion of anything Dana said! Ill give him credit he was classy in wishing Machida luck, but he could have also mentioned that he did want the shot! He could have defended himself and claimed that he had a burnign desire to be champ again. He did none of this, and it just made Dana look 100% right. I mean if you saw the press conference, he looked like the guy who lost, while Vera was upbeat like the winner.

Last edited 8/5/12 10:23PM server time by lll-lll
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #7   8/5/12 10:18:54PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think turning down Glover was smart, it was a lose lose situation for Rua. Shogun/Vera would be a much bigger draw (for the casuals) than Shogun/Texeira.

Shogun must have personal issues afflicting him. I loved him in PRIDE. Now I root against him.

Last edited 8/5/12 10:48PM server time by infestructure

Post #8   8/5/12 10:48:32PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Well, you can track the majority of his bad performances back to injuries and recovery periods.

Difficult to keep your cardio in top shape when your knees explode every 3 months or so. If the guy hadn't been plagued with injuries I have little doubt that he would've been the UFC champ a lot sooner than he was and for a lot longer.

Last edited 8/5/12 10:57PM server time by Aether

Post #9   8/5/12 10:57:07PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Wow, don't know what all the hate for Shogun is for.

We've seen tons of fighters gas, no big deal. It was a grueling fight. No one has really walked through Hendo, expect maybe Silva, though never been TKO'd. Vera no slouch either.

At no point do I think Vera was winning the fight or Shogun was out of it. He took some good shots and was still there.

There is a language barrier and plus Shogun is usually a laid back type of guy.

So, there is no "deal" with Shogun.

Post #10   8/5/12 10:58:00PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:535-379
Chips:
he's got heart, i think he's just getting to the end of his career. he's been around a long time and not everybody has the same length career's. some are short some are long. shogun is on his way out.

Last edited 8/5/12 11:01PM server time by tcunningham

Post #11   8/5/12 11:00:34PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,857-1,481
Chips:
Shoguns defense has gone downhill

Post #12   8/5/12 11:01:10PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,763-1,756
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I am the opposite of most here.....I think it is under training in the cardio department. He is a big star in a camp where he is the big dog and most likely no one tells him when he is messing up. If he changex camps that refocused him on all aspects of Muay Thai (instead of just boxing with leg kicks) and general conditioning he could be a destroyer again.

Post #13   8/5/12 11:27:36PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:749-413
Chips:
to me i don't think shogun has gotten any worse. the fights he doesn't gas in like the machida fights and the liddel fight, they were contested on the feet and both liddell and machida are counter strikers that sit back and wait and rarely go for takedowns or grapple. It's much much easier to do 5 whole rounds on the feet rather than mix in grappling.

I think shogun has always had bad conditioning, don't really know about the pride days but his body in evey ufc fight i have seen has looked unfit and flabby compared to the rest of the guys.

what shogun does is finish people, that's what he does and that's what im sure he trains for rather than specifically training for mma cardio.

Post #14   8/5/12 11:47:03PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Shogun beats everyone in the 205 division EXCEPT Jon Jones.......he could have easily won the decision against Henderson, (that was a coin flip on who won) so what is his deal you ask?

Go smack yourself upside the head TS.

He looked a little tired during the fight, big freakin' deal, it's just a testament to Vera's ability to take a punch.

Machida couldn't finish a fat, lazy, freeway chasing Rampage....so what's his deal?

Failure....you should change your screen name to 000-000

Show some respect to a legend.

Last edited 8/5/12 11:59PM server time by chael_sonnen

Post #15   8/5/12 11:58:50PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3