Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

overrated

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
Good point on Rickson... I guess I was still holding on to that Gracie Legend too, but you're right... He carresses that unproven record and does rely on the past to much, admittidly the game has passed them, and as good of a BJJ guy as he is MMA has evolved well beyond that point.

Your point on Machida though, I still can't swallow... Watanabe, was Ryo's first fight, then Bonnar, then Franklin, he himself was still green at the time... He was just as new to the game as those folks, and stood in there and proved himself. He is a young guy without much experience himself (only 8 fights)so I don't think it was as simple as a veteran vs rookie scenario...

I really really hope he brings it in the UFC...

Could pan out to be the best young talent they've picked up in a long time

Post #16   1/31/07 2:45:52PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,946-1,103
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Good point on Rickson... I guess I was still holding on to that Gracie Legend too, but you're right... He carresses that unproven record and does rely on the past to much, admittidly the game has passed them, and as good of a BJJ guy as he is MMA has evolved well beyond that point.

Your point on Machida though, I still can't swallow... Watanabe, was Ryo's first fight, then Bonnar, then Franklin, he himself was still green at the time... He was just as new to the game as those folks, and stood in there and proved himself. He is a young guy without much experience himself (only 8 fights)so I don't think it was as simple as a veteran vs rookie scenario...

I really really hope he brings it in the UFC...

Could pan out to be the best young talent they've picked up in a long time

I hope your right, UFC LHVY division needs more talent.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #17   1/31/07 3:41:07PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:
Too true...

Some good young up-and-comers but they could really use some solidified talent.

Page, if he comes back to true form, was a big grab, but it's still tough to compare to Prides MW (LHW):

Wandy
Shogun
Lil Nog
Arona...etc

That's a seriously stacked division.

Post #18   1/31/07 3:52:13PM   

roman

Standup Guy

roman Avatar

Career:679-391
Chips:

Posted by BloodandTears

Posted by roman

I would have to say Ortiz or Barnett.

They are still great fighters, just in my opinion not as good as everyone says.

Thats insane!! Barnett is a top contender, IMO he would destroy UFC's champ. I dont say this because I'm a fan of his, cause I'm not, but The guy has skill. I think the most over-rated would be most of the guy's that come off TUF. There are exceptions of course (ie. Diego Sanchez) but I think Chris Leben and Forrest Griffen are a bit over-rated.

How good can he be if he was losing to Pawel Nastula (he got the toe hold to win it I understand but IMO he was losing before that happened). I think he would give big Timmy a run for his money thats true but it would be a match. Fedor will run through him just like Cro Cop. I think a Hunt Barnett 2 would be a better fight than Fedor Barnett (And I also think Hunt might win). And as for the TUF fighters if anyone rates them high they must be high, so how can they be overratted when they never win big bouts. Thanks hippysmacker because you brought up Frank Shamrock as being overrated and I definitley agree with you.

Post #19   1/31/07 3:59:17PM   

ElGuApO91

MMA Regular

ElGuApO91 Avatar

Career:14-4
Camp: El Guapo
Chips:
chris leben
david loiseaus elbows there not that great lol
mark coleman
i have to say matt lindland as well
tito ortiz
and i cant think of anyone else at the moment

Post #20   1/31/07 5:03:47PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:
Thats insane!! Barnett is a top contender, IMO he would destroy UFC's champ. I dont say this because I'm a fan of his, cause I'm not, but The guy has skill. I think the most over-rated would be most of the guy's that come off TUF. There are exceptions of course (ie. Diego Sanchez) but I think Chris Leben and Forrest Griffen are a bit over-rated.

How good can he be if he was losing to Pawel Nastula (he got the toe hold to win it I understand but IMO he was losing before that happened). I think he would give big Timmy a run for his money thats true but it would be a match. Fedor will run through him just like Cro Cop. I think a Hunt Barnett 2 would be a better fight than Fedor Barnett (And I also think Hunt might win). And as for the TUF fighters if anyone rates them high they must be high, so how can they be overratted when they never win big bouts. Thanks hippysmacker because you brought up Frank Shamrock as being overrated and I definitley agree with you.

Nastula isn't as bad as his record portrays...

Look at his competition...

Sorry but Big Nog to pop your 'Pride cherry'?!?!? that's pretty rough, and then Aleks E, Drago (which he won), and Barney...

If this was college football, I think the strength of schedule argument might come into paly...

Post #21   2/2/07 5:10:11PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,522-1,450
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
koscheck, later vitor, tank, randleman, any other TUF guys(just realy hate kos)btw don't flame about the any TUF guys bein on here, they came out over-hyped, and i still don't see any with belts or even bein in the ring with title holders except 1 and we know how that turned out

Post #22   2/2/07 5:47:09PM   

MississippiRed

Learning to Sprawl

MississippiRed Avatar

Career:379-246
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
Koschek
Cung Le
Forrest Griffin
Tito Ortiz
Frank Shamrock

Post #23   2/2/07 6:25:58PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
pawel nastula is a great fighter... he'd probably wipe up the HW division at ufc IMO (besides cc)

Post #24   2/2/07 6:36:12PM   

tffdwg38

Banned

tffdwg38 Avatar

Career:16-14
Chips:
griffin and ortiz easy

Post #25   2/2/07 7:48:29PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:

Posted by the-james

Matt Hughes
Tim Sylvia
Sean Sherk
Josh Koscheck
Josh Barnett
Tito Ortiz
Yoshida
Mark Coleman

What! Mark Coleman won a GP and is a veteran of the sport, Matt Hughes is one of the most dominant fighters of all time, Josh Barnett was a champ and made it to the finals of the GP.

Post #26   2/9/07 5:16:25PM   

StraightLeft

Learning to Sprawl

StraightLeft Avatar

Career:259-174
Camp: Metro Machine
Chips:

Posted by thelastking

IMO forest griffin is or was the most overrated fighter. he is not bad but some people had him a #1 contender or close to it before the loss to Jardine

I have to agree. I like Forrest alot, ha has a great personality and I hope he can come back better that ever but he has always been way overrated since the TUF 1 finally

Post #27   2/9/07 9:10:09PM   

BrAeDeN91

MMA Regular

BrAeDeN91 Avatar

Career:42-30
Camp: ricco rodriguez and the sundance kids
Chips:
the only reason why mark coleman is not overrated is because after he won the gp he retartedly jumped into the ropes. everyone loved that

Post #28   2/10/07 1:27:10AM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
How is Barnett overrated? You do realize that he fought 8 or 9 fights last year right? and was still ranked top 3-4 in the world, being ranked (and sometimes fighting) against fighters that had 4 or 3 fights (or in the case of #1 only one fight not against even top 20 competition). IMO he is the most likely person to dethrone fedor. That would certainly screw up some mmath. That's the weird thing about how styles really do make fights. I think he would have just as hard a time with Tim as Fedor but would take him against either. Although there are still guys I would take against him... especially depending on circumstances. I say let him rest for 4-5 mos give him a tune up fight or two and he should be lookin at a titile shot by fall, if fedor defends even 2x's this year.

Post #29   2/10/07 1:48:15AM   

THE_AXE_MURDERER

MMA Regular

THE_AXE_MURDERER Avatar

Career:76-48
Camp: Rascal Fight Team
Chips:
The Hunnington Beach Fag Boy

Last edited 2/17/07 3:46PM server time by THE_AXE_MURDERER
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #30   2/17/07 3:45:44PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2