Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

overrated

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

tffdwg38

Banned

tffdwg38 Avatar

Career:16-14
Chips:
who is the most overrated fighter? In any org.

Post #1   1/27/07 11:59:30PM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:
Everyone from the most recent TUF. Bringing back a group of guys with less then impressive UFC records. I don't doubt any of there skill, but I don't think beating the rest of the losers should gain you a title shot. And does anyone honestly believe that Matt Serra or Travis Lutter really have much of a chance in there title fights.

Post #2   1/28/07 4:33:02AM   

D-Boy

MMA Regular

D-Boy Avatar

Career:264-172
Chips:

Posted by crimethinc

Everyone from the most recent TUF. Bringing back a group of guys with less then impressive UFC records. I don't doubt any of there skill, but I don't think beating the rest of the losers should gain you a title shot. And does anyone honestly believe that Matt Serra or Travis Lutter really have much of a chance in there title fights.

They always have a chance if they can get it to the ground. It's overall slim but a chance none the less. Those fights probably won't go past the first round in my opinion though

Post #3   1/28/07 7:27:35AM   

Infused

MMA Regular

Infused Avatar

Career:373-253
Chips:

Posted by D-Boy

Posted by crimethinc

They always have a chance if they can get it to the ground. It's overall slim but a chance none the less. Those fights probably won't go past the first round in my opinion though

Maybe in the GSP fight, but Anderson Silva is a black belt if BJJ under the Nog Brothers, so i think he could hold his own on the ground.

Post #4   1/28/07 1:48:54PM   

the-james

Standup Guy

the-james Avatar

Career:891-471
Chips:
Matt Hughes
Tim Sylvia
Sean Sherk
Josh Koscheck
Josh Barnett
Tito Ortiz
Yoshida
Mark Coleman

Post #5   1/28/07 3:23:12PM   

Unkoman

MMA Regular

Unkoman Avatar

Career:578-339
Chips:

Posted by the-james

Matt Hughes
Tim Sylvia
Sean Sherk
Josh Koscheck
Josh Barnett
Tito Ortiz
Yoshida
Mark Coleman

I'm not a fan of sylvia but i would hardly call him overated - no one rates him high at all. I would say he is underated though he's still a jackass

Josh Barnett has put on great showings with great fighters this last couple of years. He deserves the accolades he has been getting.

Post #6   1/28/07 6:30:10PM   

roman

Standup Guy

roman Avatar

Career:679-391
Chips:
I would have to say Ortiz or Barnett.

They are still great fighters, just in my opinion not as good as everyone says.

Post #7   1/29/07 1:56:52PM   

thelastking

MMA Regular

thelastking Avatar

Career:1,965-1,204
Chips:
IMO forest griffin is or was the most overrated fighter. he is not bad but some people had him a #1 contender or close to it before the loss to Jardine

Post #8   1/29/07 2:12:46PM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
I'm gonna go with Barnett and Griffin...great fighters, just not as good as everyone seems to make them out to be...especially Griffin. And Chris Leben...

Post #9   1/29/07 4:49:24PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
Barnett overrated? Nope.

Post #10   1/29/07 9:46:11PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,025-1,145
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I'd like to add Machida,K. Grove, Randleman, M. Coleman, W.Sims, F. Shamrock, Rickson Gracie, , Nogawa,Hunt, Aleks Emelienko.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #11   1/29/07 10:43:37PM   

BloodandTears

Standup Guy

BloodandTears Avatar

Career:322-195
Camp: duXup
Chips:

Posted by roman

I would have to say Ortiz or Barnett.

They are still great fighters, just in my opinion not as good as everyone says.

Thats insane!! Barnett is a top contender, IMO he would destroy UFC's champ. I dont say this because I'm a fan of his, cause I'm not, but The guy has skill. I think the most over-rated would be most of the guy's that come off TUF. There are exceptions of course (ie. Diego Sanchez) but I think Chris Leben and Forrest Griffen are a bit over-rated.

Post #12   1/30/07 11:06:27AM   

BloodandTears

Standup Guy

BloodandTears Avatar

Career:322-195
Camp: duXup
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I'd like to add Machida,K. Grove, Randleman, M. Coleman, W.Sims, F. Shamrock, Rickson Gracie, , Nogawa,Hunt, Aleks Emelienko.

Wow Hippy, I've agreed 100% w/ your other posts but I'm not seeing your logic here. Machida? He has beat some great fighters in his 8 fights and most people dont even know who he is. How is he over-rated? Rickson? Aleks I agree with, hunt I agree with, Randleman I agree with. Frank Shamrock?? IMO they are over-rated on sherdog maybe, but for the rest of the world I dont think so. Please elaborate so that I can remain 100% agreed on your posts. Thanks Hippy.

Post #13   1/30/07 11:15:17AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by BloodandTears

Posted by hippysmacker

Wow Hippy, I've agreed 100% w/ your other posts but I'm not seeing your logic here. Machida? He has beat some great fighters in his 8 fights and most people dont even know who he is. How is he over-rated? Rickson? Aleks I agree with, hunt I agree with, Randleman I agree with. Frank Shamrock?? IMO they are over-rated on sherdog maybe, but for the rest of the world I dont think so. Please elaborate so that I can remain 100% agreed on your posts. Thanks Hippy.

I will agree with B&T's, I agree with most of what you have to say on here, but Machida? How can a virtualluy unknown figter be over-rated? Anytime good competition has stepped in against him, they lose... And I'm not a Rickson worshiper like some people, but to call him overrated is a stretch, IMO.
I don't think Mark Hunt is over-rated. I don't think people ever excpected much from him vs Fedor, but he put on a better show than most expected. He is still in the process of transfering his K1 skills into a more MMA friendly format, and his stand-up / chin is top 10 (maybe 5) for sure. I think Hunt has a very good chance in making some big waves in MMA...

I'll wholeheartedly agree with Coleman though, but, IMHO, the most over-rated... Would have to go with Forrest, seems like a great, hardworking guy, but just doesn't have the tools to break into the top 10 (and it's got to be hard to live up to all that UFC hype). He's had 3 loses since he won the inaguaral season of TUF (2 by KO), and some people still consider him in contention for a shot at Chuck?? Do these people hate him? Not a good matchup at all.

On a side note... Why all the hate for Josh Barnett by everyone else on this post??? The guy is a very game opponent who has had wars with the best of them... I fear that the people judging him have only seen him KO'd by Rizzo on UFC knocjouts or something. Barnett is a very well rounded, huge asset to the MMA HW community.

Post #14   1/30/07 1:31:15PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,025-1,145
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by BloodandTears

Posted by hippysmacker

I just noticed this or I would have answered back sooner, sorry. Machida's only impressive victory to me is against Frankln. Bj is a natural lightweight, that doesn't seem special that he couldn't even finish him. Mcdonald is a kickboxer trying his first MMA fight , and he went straight to the ground the first time he tried any offense.Greco might be an up and comer, but is still very new to MMA, and it was a very close decision.. It was Bonnar's first fight against anybody I've ever even heard of, and while Bonnar's tough I don't see him even in the top 20. Dmitri is nothing special so far. Tiger White is a journeyman , who is at least usually entertaining. Watanabe is less than White. I don't doubt Machida's ability. Just his pedigree. He has pretty good standup and Ju-jitsu. However, until I see him beating some top 205 lb. fighter's I'm just not impressed. Rickson was the best Gracie of his ime, but Royce has far more victories against real MMA fighter's. Rickson's 400-0 record is first of all false,. He lost a well publicized Judo match, then claimed he didn't know the rules. Which is funny because he had been in other Judo matches. He has never fought one credible MMA guy even in the top 10 of any weight class except for Funaki , who I'm sure most would agree would be murdered by anyone in the top 10 at 205 today. His own father made fun of how he comes by his record. Saying that Rickson counts training matches and such. He also said by Rickson's way of counting he would have a million victories. Whenever someone ask him to fight he ask for double what the highest paid fighter ask for. I think he is like Frank Shamrock, once a guy ahead of his time, and now all talk. Both of them always ask for too much money to fight IMO ,in order to preserve the illusion they are still great, knowing someone will never pay what they ask. Don't get me wrong, Frank and Rickson are still legends and deservedly so. Still, they need to put up or shut up , because they are no longer ahead of the majority of good fighter's. Frank still is young enough to do something about it. Rickson is almost 50 so I doubt we will ever see him vs sakuraba like we all wanted. Still, I think he would take that fight for 3 million dollars , and even if loses he'd still have 3 million dollars to laugh about. Again ,sorry it took so long for a response.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #15   1/31/07 6:23:17AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2