Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Junior dos Santos Asks UFC to Face Alistair Overeem Next Instead of Cain Velasquez

Print  
Posted By Message

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,694-920
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos is throwing a wrinkle into the current title contender picture because he doesn’t want to face Cain Velasquez next.

That’s not to say that dos Santos is turning down a fight with Velasquez, or avoiding the fight in any way, shape or form.

No, according to UFC president Dana White, it’s because the UFC’s top heavyweight has his eyes set on a slightly bigger target. Bigger as in six-foot-five former Dream, Strikeforce and K-1 Grand Prix champion Alistair Overeem.

White revealed on Saturday night after the UFC on Fox 4 press conference ended that dos Santos has asked to face Overeem next instead of Velasquez because the Dutch striker is “a punk” and he wants to shut him up.

White did also say it would be a tough decision to take the title fight already promised to Cain Velasquez away from him, but dos Santos has made it clear who he’d prefer to fight.

Will dos Santos wait for Overeem to return or will he opt to go ahead with the fight against Velasquez?

That decision will be left up to Dana White and the other UFC brass.

link

Post #1   8/5/12 3:00:16AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,909-1,594
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
This comes as a shock to me I think Cain is more deserving of a title shot at this point especially after the long lay off the Reem is facing like December is ages away if feels like.

Post #2   8/5/12 8:53:50AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
"That decision will be left up to Dana White and the other UFC brass."

this is all that matters. Fighters have their right to say who they want to fight but at the end of the day it should be up to the UFC brass. helps to be on goods terms (or the belt holder) with the boss cause they will likely take your opinion more serious

I'm a big reem fan but i don't wanna wait this long for the hw belt to be defended plus i like seeing JDS fight. damm you reem this fight could already have happened and could up for a rematch soon (pending on the awesomeness of their hypothetical 1st match) if you hadn't f'ed up.

Post #3   8/5/12 11:39:44AM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:
Junior should worry about fighting and not preferring

Post #4   8/5/12 11:46:52AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,107-1,227
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by sparky

This comes as a shock to me I think Cain is more deserving of a title shot at this point especially after the long lay off the Reem is facing like December is ages away if feels like.

I agree, Cain should be the guy he fights, Reem shouldn't get the Title shot his 1st fight back after pissing hot. It sends the msg that although we suspend you, you can jump right back in and have your spot back. Not exactly the msg I would want to send. Same as Diaz, he wants to bitch and moan and then come in and jump a weight class and fight the most dominant champ on the planet. Please son

Post #5   8/5/12 12:35:43PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,143-679
Chips:
Overeem had his chance but fucked it up. Velasquez is the more deserving fighter at this point in time. I'm OK with waiting til next year to watch Overeem KO JDS (if he beats Cain) but I want to see this rematch first.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #6   8/5/12 12:59:10PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:930-528
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Junior knows what the fans want!!!

Post #7   8/5/12 1:35:40PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Overeem had his chance but fucked it up. Velasquez is the more deserving fighter at this point in time. I'm OK with waiting til next year to watch Overeem KO JDS (if he beats Cain) but I want to see this rematch first.

I'll av bet you if Overeem/JDS happens, reserve your avatar when the time comes!

Post #8   8/5/12 2:09:14PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Nice job Jr. - - - way to pick the easier fight - - - who are you gonna call out next? Beej

Post #9   8/5/12 4:16:41PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,284-838
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
It'd be pretty messed up if Dana takes away a promised shot from Cain

He's worked his ass off for it. What had reem done besides eat too much "horse meat"?? Oh yeah get busted for too much tes

what a joke.

If JDS wants to fight reem so bad get through Cain first. Reem isnt going anywhere

Post #10   8/5/12 4:39:19PM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:
All the champions are behaving like boxers these days. I knew it would happen sooner or later.

Post #11   8/5/12 4:52:02PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by george112

He's worked his ass off for it. What had reem done besides eat too much "horse meat"?? Oh yeah get busted for too much tes

what a joke.

If JDS wants to fight reem so bad get through Cain first. Reem isnt going anywhere

I completely agree that it would messed up to take away his title shot. Im deff pumped for the rematch; just trying play devils advocate and point out other things.

but how has he worked his ass off it??? he did his job and beat one guy. you are a fighter, training your ass off is what you do if you want to win. i could understand if he was riding a win streak over bunch of top buys. I'm not trying to take anything away from cain or his training, he did a one man gangbang on big foot. but to me he just did what was needed. plus nothing official has come out to say he is not getting his title shot.

outside of the boss' word (which we all know changes according to $$$) cain can't really complain much, JDS KOed him in 60 sec and cain just had to win one match to possibly get a title shot. yes other division are just like this too but i think it should take more than one win to get a title shot so I'm not just picking on cain.

Post #12   8/5/12 5:17:59PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,284-838
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Manak

Posted by george112

what a joke.

I completely agree that it would messed up to take away his title shot. Im deff pumped for the rematch; just trying play devils advocate and point out other things.

but how has he worked his ass off it??? he did his job and beat one guy. you are a fighter, training your ass off is what you do if you want to win. i could understand if he was riding a win streak over bunch of top buys. I'm not trying to take anything away from cain or his training, he did a one man gangbang on big foot. but to me he just did what was needed. plus nothing official has come out to say he is not getting his title shot.

outside of the boss' word (which we all know changes according to $$$) cain can't really complain much, JDS KOed him in 60 sec and cain just had to win one match to possibly get a title shot. yes other division are just like this too but i think it should take more than one win to get a title shot so I'm not just picking on cain.

worked his ass off compared to overeem.

training for Bigfoot
beating Bigfoot
training for JDS

overeem has done nothing.

should have not made it seem like Cain has gone through hoops of fire my bad

Post #13   8/5/12 5:27:50PM   

landstander

MMA Regular

landstander Avatar

Career:51-32
Chips:
The Overeem fight is a big money fight for whomever gets it. If junior fights cain and loses cain will get the fight and big pay check that goes along with it. A fighters career is short and you have to make money while you can.

Post #14   8/6/12 3:50:56AM